Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 12th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 1,324Posts
    • 1,726Thanks
    shortcrust
    Cutting my own flowers over my neighbours' boundary
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    Cutting my own flowers over my neighbours' boundary 12th Jul 17 at 10:57 AM
    Thought you people would know as it's a boundary thing.

I have flowers growing up a trellis type fence on the boundary with my neighbours. Can I lean over/reach through and cut flowers that are poking through on my neighbours' side? Do the flowers on their side still belong to me?

Just curious really. My neighbours are lovely and really don't mind what I do.
Page 1
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 12th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 2,924 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    trinidadone
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    Just to keep that neighbourly love, can you just have a quick chat with them first, and let them know what you want to do?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    If your neighbours were to cut back plants planted on your side but hanging over the boundary, they are supposed to offer you the cuttings back first. So going by that, there shouldn't be an issue with you cutting flowers hanging on their side.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 12th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    00ec25
    legally your position to no different to the more common question associated with hedge cutting where the hedge is on your side of the boundary

if the neighbour cuts the hedge (flowers) then legally they must ask you as the hedge owner if you want the cuttings back

flowers therefore are your property and if cut should be returned to you

obviously however never resort to "legalities" when it comes to neighbourly issues unless you are already at loggerheads and (GM's infamous) tea and cake discussion stage has already been tried but failed.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 12th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2,201 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    The flowers are yours - in fact, there would be more of an issue if they wanted to cut them. Cut away - you could always pop round with a bunch if you wanted to.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 12th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    Thanks for the replies. As I said, I'm more curious than anything. They're on holiday at the moment so wouldn't care one way or another. It's just as I was leaning over to cut them yesterday I suddenly felt that I was being a bit naughty (in a one step up from running through wheat fields kind of way).
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 41,077 Posts
    • 47,209 Thanks
    G_M
    They'll look nice in an old teapot on the table when you invite the neighbours round for tea.

(and, of course.....)
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    Just a separate question - who owns the fence?
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 12th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    They'll look nice in an old teapot on the table when you invite the neighbours round for tea.

(and, of course.....)
    Originally posted by G_M
    I wish I lived next to you G_M, I'd be winding you up often in order to ensure a good supply of tea and cake coming my way
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    sevenhills
    If your neighbours were to cut back plants planted on your side but hanging over the boundary, they are supposed to offer you the cuttings back first. So going by that, there shouldn't be an issue with you cutting flowers hanging on their side.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    That part of it sounds like tradition or just something that happens, surely who ever owns the space that they are growing in, its theirs
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 12th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    00ec25
    That part of it sounds like tradition or just something that happens, surely who ever owns the space that they are growing in, its theirs
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    it is not tradition, it is the law

https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes/high-hedges-trees-and-boundaries

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/lawn-garden/when-working/usage/hedge-trimming-legislation/

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/gardening-for-wildlife/plants-for-wildlife/garden-hedges/hedge-law
    Last edited by 00ec25; 12-07-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 12th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 41,077 Posts
    • 47,209 Thanks
    G_M
    No.

That is law, not tradition.

Of course in practice few people actually comply where clippings or flowers are concerned. But the legal principle applies whether it's a couple of flowers, or an overhanging branch that provides firewwod for the entire winter.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 12th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Just a separate question - who owns the fence?
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Oo that's a question! It's on my side of the boundary but my neighbours and the chap who had the house before me paid for it jointly. I think it was paid for jointly because he never got round to sorting it out after the old one collapsed and the neighbours got sick of waiting.

They tell me on a regular basis that they're very relieved to have me living here. I think he was a 'character'.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    No, that would be impossible. If the wind was from the east then an overhanging plant would belong to one person, while if the wind was from the west it would belong to somebody else.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I have clicked on those links, and it does not say who owns the clippings from over hanging trees.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    sevenhills
    No, that would be impossible. If the wind was from the east then an overhanging plant would belong to one person, while if the wind was from the west it would belong to somebody else.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    So if you had a large amount of clippings from a neighbours hedge, you could let them dispose of how ever many bags full?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 12th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 4,770 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    00ec25
    I have clicked on those links, and it does not say who owns the clippings from over hanging trees.
    then do your own research because it is not tradition but i cannot be bothered to hold your hand
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 12th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    sevenhills
    then do your own research because it is not tradition but i cannot be bothered to hold your hand
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Its just a discussion, no need to make personal remarks.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 12th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Guest101
    Its just a discussion, no need to make personal remarks.
    If you park your car on my driveway - I cant just dispose of your car. same principle.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,893 Posts
    • 2,821 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    So if you had a large amount of clippings from a neighbours hedge, you could let them dispose of how ever many bags full?
    I don't understand your question. If you have them then why would you be "letting" the neighbours dispose of them?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

401Posts Today

3,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin