Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Apjs87
    • By Apjs87 11th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 13Thanks
    Apjs87
    Advice on Purplebricks Conveyancing
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    Advice on Purplebricks Conveyancing 11th Jul 17 at 10:52 PM
    Hello.

I have recently sold with Purplebricks and at the time chose to defer payment until after the sale was completed. It was explained to me at the time that as a result of this, we would have to use the conveyancing services that PB provide.

Since reading reviews on the conveyancing options available with PB, it is not good reading at all and would now like to use my own solicitor.

I communicated this to my property expert who then informs me that a £340 fee will have to be paid as admin unlock fee!!

I do not feel this is fair and at no point was this explained to me prior to me listing with PB. Following a review of the contract, the Advanced Conveyancing quote and the agreement document, I cannot find anything in writing to say that I would have to pay £340 to not use these services! Nor have I signed any formal documentation containing this fee information.

After seeking out legal advice, my solicitor is in agreement that these fees should not be paid and nor are they fair.

Please can you offer any advice on the matter?

Thank you
    Adam
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    • 4,799 Posts
    • 4,439 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    I cannot find anything in writing to say that I would have to pay £340 to not use these services! Nor have I signed any formal documentation containing this fee information.
    Originally posted by Apjs87
    It's fairly clearly stated in their Service Agreement online:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ

It is a condition of Pay Later that you agree to instruct the Conveyancing Services to act on your behalf once a sale is agreed with a purchaser and you hereby agree that you will instruct the Conveyancing Services to make payment in full to the Provider on Completion for the Products and Services taken by you in the event that you have not already made payment in accordance with the Pay Later Terms.

If at any time you have agreed to take advantage of the Conveyancing Services and thereafter withdraw, fail or refuse to use the Conveyancing Services you will be required to pay Administration Charges once you agree a sale of your property.

‘Administration Charges’ means the sum of three hundred and sixty pounds including VAT (£360.00).

Link: https://www.purplebricks.com/terms/service-agreement

Did you sign up online? If so, I suspect that you would have been asked to confirm that you have read/accepted the service agreement.

Or if you signed up via phone, did they tell you to read the agreement?

It's not relevant that you didn't sign anything.

However, you might be able to argue that it is a financial penalty and therefore an unfair contract term, as defined in The Consumer Rights Act 2015. But I think that would be messy!
    • Apjs87
    • By Apjs87 12th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Apjs87
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    It's fairly clearly stated in their Service Agreement online:

Did you sign up online? If so, I suspect that you would have been asked to confirm that you have read/accepted the service agreement.

Or if you signed up via phone, did they tell you to read the agreement?

It's not relevant that you didn't sign anything.

However, you might be able to argue that it is a financial penalty and therefore an unfair contract term, as defined in The Consumer Rights Act 2015. But I think that would be messy!
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Where did you extract that from please? I am on the website now and I cannot find that under the Ways to Pay section?
    • Apjs87
    • By Apjs87 12th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Apjs87
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    I have now found it under the cancellations section. My mistake. Thanks for checking this over.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin