PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rent to a friend

Hi,
I have recently bought a house and due to work i will not be able to move in for a year. I am thinking of allowing my friend to move in and just asking her to pay the mortgage/bills.

Will i need to tell my mortgage lender? What will change? What will it cost me? Is it worth it or should i just sell up and wait

Thanks

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes you will need to request consent to let from your mortgage lender which they might not grant since it appears you've not even moved in yet.

You will need to comply with all relevant landlord legislation and declare the rental income to HMRC.
  • I'd also formalise it....yes it's a friend but it gets rid of any potential misunderstandings
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    1) Even if you don't perceive a 'profit', you would have to pay tax on 'rent income - mortgage interest - repairs / bills / etc costs' Note part of your mortgage payment will pay down capital which is not tax deductible.

2) Landlord obligations still apply, e.g. gas safety check, EPC, protect deposit if you take one, repairs, check friend's right to rent, friend's right to quiet enjoyment

3) Mortgage: you will need to request Consent to Let from your lender. IF you have just started the mortgage and will be letting the property fairly soon, the lender may think that was your plan all along and refuse CTL, or give CTL for a limited period e.g. 12 months. Then you would need to change to a Buy to Let mortgage (with a maximum 75% loan relative to the property value) and likely higher interest rates.

4) I would suggest you get a formal tenancy agreement and inventory at the start, so everyone knows their responsibilities and is on the same page. If there is a misunderstanding or people mis remember, the deposit resolution / courts can ultimately decide but you would likely ruin a friendship.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    I have recently bought a house and due to work i will not be able to move in for a year. I am thinking of allowing my friend to move in and just asking her to pay the mortgage/bills.
    You mean you want her to pay you rent.

Will i need to tell my mortgage lender? Yes
    What will change? You'll be a landlord
    What will it cost me?
    LL insurance; gas report, tax, etc
    Is it worth it or should i just sell up and wait your choice

Thanks
    Read

* New landlords: advice, information & links
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Be in absolutely no doubt that doing this will make you a landlord - family, friend, it doesn't matter, you are a landlord in the eyes of the law and have to follow the laws for landlords as described above.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Penitent wrote: »
    If you've only just bought it, you're probably going to struggle to sell it.
    ....... because many lenders are shy of lending on properties that have been only recently purchased.

(Might be good to say why ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport