PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Monday 10 July 2017

Options

Comments

• TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Oh, yes. Forgot to mention. Willow is her name. I was unsure to begin with but I'm warming to it now.

Good choice SPEKY! That's my youngest DGD's middle name - she is Kitty Willow. I wasn't sure at first either but can't imagine her called anything else now! x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Many congratulations Uncle Speky, what a lovely name x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Community health psychiatric team have just left. All positive stuff. My Son has an appointment at his new GP's practise on Friday. I was advised to go with him.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello all
    Congrats to Uncle Specky, Willow is a beautiful name.
    DH and I have been to town this morning, mainly to the bank but called in Mat*lan as they had a sale on. DH bought a pair of zip-off trousers and I bought some light weight joggers, as all mine seem too thick and warm at the moment. We also called in L*dl for bread, milk and salad stuff on the way home.
    Yesterday I picked the blackcurrants in my garden, even managed to get there before the birds ! :rotfl:However as no one likes blackcurrant jam I was wondering if I should make blackcurrant vodka. I thought I could make some and give it as Christmas presents. Anyone made this before ? Was it successful ?
    Nothing important to do this afternoon apart from putting out the recycling so I will just potter around putting things away in their rightful places. Note to self - "must put things away not just put them down" :D
    Right, another coffee then I will do something :rotfl:.
    Hugs to all
    nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Congratulations Uncle Specky.
    Willow, I think that is such a beautiful name.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 10 July 2017 at 2:31PM
    Options
    Speky what a beautiful name for a beautiful little girl I bet you become a doting uncle and will spoil her dreadfully :):):)

Re the slow worms, years ago when we live on a tiny island off the Essex coast called Mersea, we had a very small cottage, but a huge garden.Now me being a city girl I asked my OH if he would dig over a patch of it so I could get some vegatables in, I was money saving even back in 1964 :) there were just the two of us, and we had only been married about two years then ,no children and it really was a gorgeous place. He agreed and set to marking out where I wanted it dug .

I had just taken him out a cuppa and was walking back indoors when he shouted out 'Catch' as I turned what I took to be a snake came whirling through the air and wrapped itself around my neck !!!

I nearly died of shock, and how we never divorced within the next week I'll never know What made it worse he was quite nonchalant about it .'Its only a slow worm' he said ,laughing like a drain I could have battered him senseless daft begger.

We lived in that cottage for around just under two years and believe me until you have lived in a very small cottage where a lot of the wildlife outside seemed to think our house was fair game to move inside :):)

I had a fieldmouse that made his home and built his little home and family in my best handbag at the bottom of our wardrobe :)and would happily eat bits of it unbeknown to me when things got tough for him :).

Plus we had spiders the size of soup plates that would scuttle across the very rustic roof beams. Oak beamed cottages apparently are a favourite home for the leggy little beasts. !!!

But on the good side in the summer time at night when the sun went down you could lie out on a lounger in the garden and see some spectacular sunsets and when the stars came out it looked like the sky was packed out with them We saw so many shooting stars it was amazing No light pollution because we were on the edge of the Essex coast.Unforgettable memories that are as clear to me over 50 years later as they were then .

Just sitting down with a cuppa to watch Andy Murray pure bliss

JackieO xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yay and Murray wins again :):):):)
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon / evening.

It's stayed dry but very breezy all day, so far.

Speky - congratulations on the birth of Willow - though I do hope that it's your brother's girlfriend / partner who actually had the baby!

I've had a day of frustration and annoyance. I'm combing the assessment material with a fine tooth comb to send to the assessor and our boss exactly why I have to fail his students. I'm still convinced that he's sent me the wrong documents (drafts and not final submissions) but, if he won't answer his emails then fail they must. It's so not right.

The ongoing issue of the day is my dramatically slowed down broadband speed. It's normally around 1.5 - 1.9mbps (slow enough), but now it's dropped to 0.46mbps. Done all the online checks, phoned BT who then did the same checks from their end. Then I had to do another check from the test socket. All still showing the same problem even though BT say there's not a fault! Now waiting for them to ring back after doing another check. I've had some great help on the techie board.

Happily a lovely neighbour popped in with his two sprocker spaniels, they do cheer me up with their boundless energy and pizazz. The dad one is less full of bounce and just wants to hold a shoe and be stroked. :rotfl:

I've got a sodding committee meeting this evening - hate them. The odd thing about this one is that it's always held in one woman's house and she never offers a cup of tea to anyone. So unlike the great old Scots custom of offering refreshments to all and sundry, at least on the west coast that is.

I hope everyone's had a good day and will have a relaxing evening.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 10 July 2017 at 5:53PM
    Options
    TA we are going to Ripon for a couple of days after DGD's wedding in October. I want to go to Barnyarns, I am trying to find out if they actually have a shop or if its just a warehouse.

A trip to Whitby for fish and chips will also be on the cards.

Gers......when we lived in Scotland everyone who came to the house was offered a drink, as they are here. If we went anywhere to visit, we always took a gift with us, something I do down here as well
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Gers......when we lived in Scotland everyone who came to the house was offered a drink, as they are here. If we went anywhere to visit, we always took a gift with us, something I do down here as well

Yes, standard hospitality in Scotland. This one is weird.

I've just learnt that today, in 1913, the temperature in Death Valley, California, was recorded as 57 degrees C - the highest ever. Think I'm happier with my current 15 degrees C. I can always put on a cardi!

Right, off to my refreshment-less meeting. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport