Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • portofcall
    • By portofcall 9th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 4Thanks
    portofcall
    About to go DRO but just had increase in ESA.
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    About to go DRO but just had increase in ESA. 9th Jul 17 at 1:32 PM
    I was just on the cusp of submitting for an DRO application when I received an increase in my ESA - They have started paying my Severe Disability Premium which is an increase of 63 pounds a week.

Please tell me if this affects my application for a DRO and should I still go ahead with the submission?
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    • 11,193 Posts
    • 10,856 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:28 PM
    Hi,

In a Debt Relief Order, DLA or PIP is counted as “income”, I assume ESA will be treated the same way, however there will be a line added into your “expenditure” that is for the same amount as for your “disability expenses”. This means that you will often pass the “not more than £50 a month surplus income” test for a DRO, even if you are currently paying more than that amount to your creditors.

So the government agrees that disability benefits are required for everyday expenses and shouldn’t be used to pay your creditors.

You should discuss this with your intermediary.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    Hi Portofcall

You will have to tell your intermediary about the increase in your ESA and amend your statement of affairs (SOA) accordingly. Unfortunately the ESA cannot be disregarded as an income but you may find it allows you to budget a little more comfortably for things like your food shopping.

If overall you still have less than £50 per month available for your debts you will still meet that particular condition of the DRO. Will you be receiving a backdated award? The other thing to be aware of would be a lump sum payment that might take you over the £1000 asset limit.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,360Posts Today

8,245Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin