PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Change of name on shared ownership lease

Options
Hi,

This is my first post as I'm a bit confused about all this.

Exhusband bought 25% share of house in 2008 whilst married but only his name on mortgage and shared ownership lease.

He was abusive and kicked me and kids out of house in 2015 to live in a tiny flat. He kept house, cars and all savings. Not paid any maintenance since and had limited contact with kids. His choice.

Out of blue yesterday, he emails me saying he wants to leave the house to move 150miles away with his latest gf. He wants me to move in and take over paying rent.

Mortgage he said he'll pay as maintenance but he wants to transfer the shared ownership lease into my sole name so that he is no longer liable for it. Is this even possible?? Is he lying? He claims it isn't subletting because his kids will be living there.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mortgage, ownership and lease will all need to be in the same name(s), so you'd need to buy him out.
  • Singlemama
    Singlemama Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    So he's lying to mess with me!
    Thanks for this.
    I'll ignore him.
  • Singlemama
    Options
    He's now saying it's possible to add me to the lease as a joint lease holder. Would this be a horrendous idea?
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It may be possible, depending on the terms of the lease. Some of these leases have scenarios where certain transfers are exempted (so can happen).

What about the freehold element of the ownership?

However, you would then be linked to your ex and should you ever want to sell the property then he could cause problems if he drags his feet.

Also, I seem to recall that these types of leases often have a requirement that all the leaseholders occupy the property as their main/principle residence. Therefore your ex would be in breach of the lease, and as you would be jointly and severally liable, you would also be liable for the breach.
  • da_rule
    Options
    Also, the mortgage may have the same term about occupation, so he may also be breaching the terms of his mortgage.
  • Singlemama
    Options
    The mortgage company have no qualms with me living there with the kids. I've already spoken to them.
  • Singlemama
    Options
    And no, I am not overkeen on being linked to him forever but as he took all my savings and ran up £20k worth of debt in my name before he left, which he then defaulted on, I am going to struggle to get out of my tiny flat for years. If ever.

Thats why it was a tempting idea.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Singlemama wrote: »
    Hi,

This is my first post as I'm a bit confused about all this.

Exhusband bought 25% share of house in 2008 whilst married but only his name on mortgage and shared ownership lease.

He was abusive and kicked me and kids out of house in 2015 to live in a tiny flat. He kept house, cars and all savings. Not paid any maintenance since and had limited contact with kids. His choice.

Out of blue yesterday, he emails me saying he wants to leave the house to move 150miles away with his latest gf. He wants me to move in and take over paying rent.

Mortgage he said he'll pay as maintenance but he wants to transfer the shared ownership lease into my sole name so that he is no longer liable for it. Is this even possible?? Is he lying? He claims it isn't subletting because his kids will be living there.

Thanks for any help.

I somehow doubt that based on his previous behaviour.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) do you actually want to live there?

2) what was agreed in the divorce settlement regarding property?

3) If you take over ownership, why shoud you pay him rent? Makes no sense.

4) what does you divorce lawyer suggest?
  • da_rule
    Options
    Singlemama wrote: »
    The mortgage company have no qualms with me living there with the kids. I've already spoken to them.

That wasn't quite the point I was making, they may not have a problem with you living there, but they may have a problem with him not living there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure