Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dark knight
    • By dark knight 7th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 88Posts
    • 8Thanks
    dark knight
    Recommend me a car.
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    Recommend me a car. 7th Jul 17 at 1:12 PM
    Well it's actually for my sister.

She'd require a new (or nearly new) SUV type, auto gearbox, doesn't do the mileage for diesel. Liked the Sportage but changed her mind after sitting in it. I'm pushing her towards a Mazda cx-3 (cx-5 is better but much pricier). Apart from the usual suspects (Qashqai etc,) anyone got any recommendations. She has chronic knee pain so a reliable auto box is essential.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,231 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    Why does she want a SUV (just to continue my campaign to make people realise that they very rarely need such a vehicle, and it would be better for everyone if they just bought a normal car)?
    • *~Zephyr~*
    • By *~Zephyr~* 7th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    *~Zephyr~*
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    If she has knee problems then SUV's are much less painful to get in and out of. I've been looking at the CX-5 for the same reasons.

I'm waiting for an influx of the 2015 facelift model following the launch of the new model last week. Hopefully that will push the prices down because they are still very pricy secondhand cars!

I do love the CX_3 but it's actually pretty small inside. There's not as much room inside as there is in my Golf and both me and the OH found the front seats don't go back far enough.

If she liked the Sportage, get her to look at the Hyundai Tuscon. They are basically the same car. Made in the same factory, just slight differences inside.
    Last edited by *~Zephyr~*; 07-07-2017 at 2:27 PM.
    • SuzieSue
    • By SuzieSue 7th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    SuzieSue
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    Why does she want a SUV (just to continue my campaign to make people realise that they very rarely need such a vehicle, and it would be better for everyone if they just bought a normal car)?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Out of interest, why don't you like SUVs?

We don't have a choice as my husband needs a hoist for his electric scooter. But I like them anyway.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 7th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 5,801 Posts
    • 5,281 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    Liked the Sportage but changed her mind after sitting in it.
    Originally posted by dark knight
    What doesn't she like about it?

You might just be best looking for anything with an autobox and taking her to try them.

What's her budget? She looking at new/used?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,231 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:09 PM

We don't have a choice as my husband needs a hoist for his electric scooter. But I like them anyway.
    Originally posted by SuzieSue
    They take up an unnecessary amount of space for the function they perform, and in particular for the rest of us who choose the sensible car option they block the view by being unreasonably tall. Everybody managed for many years before some marketing genius decided they could make lots of money for car companies by promoting a new class of vehicle that until then nobody had needed.
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 7th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 4,392 Posts
    • 5,005 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:30 PM
    SEAT Ateca or soon the Skoda (small SUV) version will be out.
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    Originally posted by SuzieSue
    Poor visibility especially for close distance manouvering, longer stopping distances, poorer on cornering, risk of roll over on sudden direction changes, affected more by the wind, worse fuel economy, higher cost of repairs, higher running costs not just because of fuel but because of tyres...
    • dark knight
    • By dark knight 7th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dark knight
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    "Why does she want a SUV (just to continue my campaign to make people realise that they very rarely need such a vehicle, and it would be better for everyone if they just bought a normal car)?"

Prefers the height, room , feeling protected etc etc
    • dark knight
    • By dark knight 7th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dark knight
    Good call on a Tucson
    • dark knight
    • By dark knight 7th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dark knight
    Thanks all for suggestions so far, I'll get her to check out the Tucson and ateca (couldn't remember the name of this earlier). Are any auto boxes particularly recommended? (Or indeed, to particularly be avoided?)
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,231 Thanks
    agrinnall
    "Why does she want a SUV (just to continue my campaign to make people realise that they very rarely need such a vehicle, and it would be better for everyone if they just bought a normal car)?"

Prefers the height, room , feeling protected etc etc
    Originally posted by dark knight
    Height is the only one of those that is not available in normal cars, and that extra height is one of the main reasons why they are a nuisance to other road users.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 8th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    JP1978
    Poor visibility especially for close distance manouvering, longer stopping distances, poorer on cornering, risk of roll over on sudden direction changes, affected more by the wind, worse fuel economy, higher cost of repairs, higher running costs not just because of fuel but because of tyres...
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I take it you just made this up with no research based on what you 'think' will be the issues?

Worse fuel economy that what? Mine can do 55mpg - plenty of other 'normal' cars on the road that cant do that

Higher cost of repairs - Hmmm, mine and a few others are based on the Golf 5L platform and use the same running gear, same engines - do dealers add a mark up for been an SUV? If a 4wd version, the haldex clutch on mine just requires a oil change (circa £40) every 40k miles - not really a major issue is it?

Poor visibility - Really? They are slightly higher up, better visibility and mine is flat at the back, so actually, great visibility, unlike all these stupid curved hatchbacks with stupid tiny rear windows.

Risk of roll over - granted, higher centre of gravity, cant get away from that but with many electronic gadgets on the drivetrain (ESP, TSR etc) the chances of that are very very slim. Remember the mercedes A-Class - that wasn't an SUV but failed on the 'moose test'..... so not just affecting 'SUV' type cars.

Affected more by the wind - Again, granted, they can be - but so are some poorly designed small cars if their aerodynamics are not spot on.

Tyres - unsure what you mean - but same size tyres on mine as many other VW Group cars - and because VW group use that size on so many cars, there is much much choice and so competition means lower prices for them. Bigger tyres if popular are often cheaper than smaller tyres if not very common - supply & demand.

Some of your comments are valid against some SUV's but some are not valid at all so you cannot generalise.
    • philnicandevan
    • By philnicandevan 8th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    philnicandevan
    On my 2nd skoda yeti after 3yrs of ownership (i'm an arthritis sufferer)
    Not quite a newbie as you think (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..
    BSC 58
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 8th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 5,852 Posts
    • 10,871 Thanks
    GwylimT
    They take up an unnecessary amount of space for the function they perform, and in particular for the rest of us who choose the sensible car option they block the view by being unreasonably tall. Everybody managed for many years before some marketing genius decided they could make lots of money for car companies by promoting a new class of vehicle that until then nobody had needed.
    Our SUV is smaller than a mondeo, guess you don't like that size of car either?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,231 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Our SUV is smaller than a mondeo, guess you don't like that size of car either?
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    Actually I'm not wild about it, but at least it is a similar height to mine so I can see past it. Your SUV is just a mobile traffic screen. I can put up with vans, lorries and buses as there is a justification for their extra height, whereas yours is solely the result of marketing hype.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 8th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    Manxman in exile

This is particularly true in car parks and is often made much worse as most of these vehicles have so much privacy(?) glass that you can't see through them properly.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 8th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 304 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    JP1978
    I am surprised that some people can actually work out how to walk and breathe unaided if they can't adjust their driving habits to accommodate taller cars, HGV's, vans, trailers etc.

It may mean at junctions you have to wait a few seconds for the SUV/Van with no side glass in to move off - so what in the grand scheme of thing?

Instead of driving into parking spaces in car parks, reverse in (its much safer regardless) - you will have better visibility when you come to leave.

The same could be said for people carriers - yet no one has mentioned them yet - they are often taller than SUV's.

Luckily we live in the free world - I assume that if certain people were in charge we would only be allowed to buy beige cars from one brand - all one model with the same engine? Its nice to have a choice, SUV's suit some people, normal cars suit others, its as simple as that. Choice.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Jul 17, 8:40 AM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,231 Thanks
    agrinnall

The same could be said for people carriers - yet no one has mentioned them yet - they are often taller than SUV's.
    Originally posted by JP1978
    Yep, MPVs, SUVs, Chelsea tractors, they all fall into the same category for me. Very few people actually need one, and the majority of owners and everyone else would be better off if nobody had invented them in the first place. I don't expect to convince anyone who has paid over the odds for such a vehicle as they have to justify their investment, but I'll carry on be a grumpy git about them regardless .
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 9th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    Manxman in exile

Instead of driving into parking spaces in car parks, reverse in (its much safer regardless) - you will have better visibility when you come to leave.

Originally posted by JP1978

Only slightly better visibility. If you come back to your car and find it sandwiched between two slab-sided 4x4s (or people carriers or suvs or a combination thereof) both of which have been invariably driven in rather than reversed in, you still have to get the front of your car out blind until you are far enough forward to see round them. At least when you've got a standard car next to you, you can still see through its windows.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,006Posts Today

9,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin