Balance transfers on a debt management plan

Options
My husband is currently on a debt management plan, he's paying a monthly amount to step change who then distribute the money to his creditors. His debts are a combination of credit cards and loans. I've been reading a lot about 0% balance transfer credit cards. I wondered whether I could apply for a credit card and then transfer his remaining balances onto it? Do the debts and the credit card need to be in the same name? If so, can you also transfer loan balances or just credit card balances? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can. They would become your debts.

For loans, you need a money transfer option.
  • Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Are any of his DMP accounts already 0% interest - this is typical after a few months.
  • CM106
    CM106 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Most of them are but there's one loan that is still charging interest and that's the largest portion of the debt.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CM106 wrote: »
    Most of them are but there's one loan that is still charging interest and that's the largest portion of the debt.

Unless the credit card also offers 0% money transfers then he's unlikely to be able to balance transfer to a loan account.

And if he's on a DMP his credit report is likely to be completely shot so he's unlikely to even be offered a 0% balance transfer.

You can always try, but don't be surprised if he gets declined.
  • CM106
    CM106 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I was looking to see if I could put the interest free credit card in my name but it's not looking like a viable option.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    you can, if you are happy to become liable for his debt.

If you take out a balance transfer card and register for online banking then all you will be asked for is the credit card number of the one to receive the transfer. If you do it by phone then they will ask if the target card is in your name and then often will refuse if it isn't. You cannot balance transfer to a loan.

If you take out a card with a money transfer deal then the money will land in your bank account and you can do what you like with it. This is the way to pay off a loan if someone will let you have it
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lynz68
    lynz68 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    The other issue may well be that you could mess up his DMP. Stepchange would probably look to distribute the money evenly among all creditors as you can't show preference to one creditor over another.

They could cancel his DMP of course there is no reason why you can't manage your own DMP but you would have to be confident that you could maintain payments and not fall into old habits.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    note my tesco cards, say I must transfer from cards in my name.

however virgin money and barclaycard dont seem to have that restriction.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You do need to get a limit high enough to be able to transfer all the outstanding debt onto it as you will be clearing the debts and cannot favour one debt over another.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure