Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 5th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 43Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Major changes to Tesco Clubcard scheme include Uber triple voucher offer
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Major changes to Tesco Clubcard scheme include Uber triple voucher offer 5th Jul 17 at 12:08 PM
    Tesco Clubcard holders will be sent a new contactless card as part of a raft of changes to the scheme, which will include Uber and Hotels.com being added to the boost offer...
    Read the full story:
    'Major changes to Tesco Clubcard scheme include Uber triple voucher offer '

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 06-07-2017 at 5:33 PM.

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 5th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:19 PM
    But good luck with any queries from March 2018 onwards, after 1,100 contact centre jobs go, with only 250 in Dundee to make up the difference - somethings got to give!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • robin58
    • By robin58 5th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    robin58
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:32 PM
    Stopped collecting Clubcard points years ago. Wasn't worth the hassle.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • ic451uk
    • By ic451uk 5th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    ic451uk
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    While the Tesco Clubcard itself goes from magnetic strip and barcode to contactless, Tesco Clubcard Credit Card will be sticking with the good old magnetic strip only - keep on swiping!
    • VT82
    • By VT82 5th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 919 Posts
    • 735 Thanks
    VT82
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    Originally posted by robin58
    After around a dozen free meals out for myself and friends, I respectfully disagree.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 5th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 1,212 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    Sounds expensive. Waiting for the negative changes!

If it isn't broken, don't fix it springs to mind.
    Sealed Pot 10 #520 ~ ~£66.55/£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £41.40/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £179.71/£120.00
    EF #170 ~ £500
    Xmas 2017 #25 ~ £5/£365
    365 Day Penny Challenge #4 ~ £17.31/£667.95
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 5th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    steve1500
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    Originally posted by robin58

Got to disagree. Clubcard pays for our flights each summer hols in August, which has included Orlando twice
    Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
    • robin58
    • By robin58 5th Jul 17, 11:44 PM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 1,653 Thanks
    robin58
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:44 PM
    • 5th Jul 17, 11:44 PM
    Got to disagree. Clubcard pays for our flights each summer hols in August, which has included Orlando twice
    Originally posted by steve1500
    Depends really on how much you spend.

To me it's a bad deal as my Local big Tesco is a 9 mile round trip by bus.

I can get most of the stuff I want at my local Aldi and Lidl for a better price, with top ups from Iceland, Farmfoods, Sainsburys and Waitrose for things they only do. All these shops are in walking distance.

Plus the offer of Uber is no good to me as I live in a area where it's not operating.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • HornetSaver
    • By HornetSaver 6th Jul 17, 6:47 AM
    • 1,909 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    HornetSaver
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:47 AM
    • 6th Jul 17, 6:47 AM
    If any of the quadruple value offers are of use to you (i.e. if the offers weren't there you'd have spent money on those products or services anyway), then I believe Clubcard works out at 8% of your grocery shopping spend assuming you also use a Tesco Bank account debit card.

For me it doesn't quite work out as rosily as that, because I can walk to two other supermarkets within 5 minutes vs the need to drive to Tesco, and their petrol forecourt here is a car-trap due to location. But for those for whom this isn't a factor it's a significant enough boost to take seriously. Not quite sure what the rules are on fuel, but if it works out as 8p per litre with a Tesco Bank card, or indeed 4p per litre without, then for most that would blow alternatives out of the water.
    I'm standing by my pre-referendum prediction: "Brexit will lead to a recession"

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=70662330
    • harz99
    • By harz99 6th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 2,385 Thanks
    harz99
    Tesco killed the Club card for me when they removed the double up deals and made minimum delivery orders at £40. We buy next to nothing from Mr T now, Aldi, Home Bargains and a pound shop get most of our trade. A walk around my nearest big Mr T yesterday revealed that the basic/everyday ranges have gone, bogoffs few and far, multibuys few and far, customers thin on the ground at the time.
    • forestlands
    • By forestlands 6th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    forestlands
    Hi, watch out for security!This is just a suggestion based on my experience. My credit card was used fraudulently to pay for Uber and hotels, just under £1.000

I'm 73 this year, seldom leave home, have a smallholding out in the sticks, weekly shop with Tesco Home Delivery and use Tesco Direct home delivery. As I don't go shopping, wondered how my credit card info. was obtained!

Was concerned when I saw Tesco was teaming up with Uber and hotels. Could be a coincidence my card was used to pay for Uber and hotel, I'm not risking it! I felt awful when I had to tell the bank! I use security advised by the banks.

The more partners Tesco gets the less I'm using them! Being cautious!
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 6th Jul 17, 10:56 PM
    • 2,660 Posts
    • 1,617 Thanks
    Ectophile
    You don't need to swipe the recent Clubcards anyway. They have a big barcode on the back - so just wave it in front of the barcode scanner.

So far as I am concerned, nothing is changing in this "revamp". I have never used any of their special offers, other than once using the double-up offer to buy a vacuum cleaner. Other than that, I just spend the vouchers in store.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • gwapenut
    • By gwapenut 7th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • 905 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    gwapenut
    Other than that, I just spend the vouchers in store.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    Nooooooooooo! I know there's a lot of hype about 4x value when really restaurants often offer 2x vouchers anyway, regardless of clubcards, making the 4x worth only 2x practically speaking ... but that way, and others, 2x value is very easy to achieve.

Do you never take the train for instance? Could you not double up at redspottedhanky on train tickets?
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 7th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    20aday
    I work for Tesco and have received my new style Clubcard this morning in the post.

They currently have a (colleague only) offer where you can switch to a Tesco Bank current account and receive £50 worth of Clubcard points so when the time comes 4 x the value will be worth it.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 8th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    no1catman
    I received my new cards this morning - plain blue (hardly great art-work)!

I have two expresses within a-mile and a half, and an extra store almost two miles away.
    With Asda, a mile and a half, Morrisons two miles, and Sainsburys two and a half miles away.
    Lidl, two hundred yards nearer than the second Express, while Aldi are more like five miles away - opposite Farmfoods.
    • aau1
    • By aau1 8th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 18,756 Posts
    • 323,180 Thanks
    aau1
    While the Tesco Clubcard itself goes from magnetic strip and barcode to contactless, Tesco Clubcard Credit Card will be sticking with the good old magnetic strip only - keep on swiping!
    Originally posted by ic451uk
    My clubcard credit card is chip and pin...has been for years
    Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 9th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 7,082 Posts
    • 9,845 Thanks
    KxMx
    Tesco killed the Club card for me when they removed the double up deals and made minimum delivery orders at £40. We buy next to nothing from Mr T now, Aldi, Home Bargains and a pound shop get most of our trade. A walk around my nearest big Mr T yesterday revealed that the basic/everyday ranges have gone, bogoffs few and far, multibuys few and far, customers thin on the ground at the time.
    Originally posted by harz99
    Most are still there but have been re branded. "Farm" brands cover the value fruit, veg & meat, value toilet paper has been brought under the existing Springforce range (still £1 for 6 rolls, packaging differs from the rest of the range). Also
    value frozen meals merely say "Tesco" now, at the same price.

In addition a handful of products still have the Value label, baked beans & frozen sausages, and some value household ranges have been removed entirely more recently, without any re branded replacements.
    Last edited by KxMx; 09-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 9th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    no1catman
    My clubcard credit card is chip and pin...has been for years
    Originally posted by aau1
    Surprising, mine has the wireless signal on it, so it's 'contactless'.

Ectophile "You don't need to swipe the recent Clubcards anyway. They have a big barcode on the back - so just wave it in front of the barcode scanner"

No, the old one was via the scanner, the new one you 'tap' on the payment card reader machine, just as you would for a debit card/credit-card.
    • deely
    • By deely 9th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    deely
    Nooooooooooo! I know there's a lot of hype about 4x value when really restaurants often offer 2x vouchers anyway, regardless of clubcards, making the 4x worth only 2x practically speaking ... but that way, and others, 2x value is very easy to achieve.

Do you never take the train for instance? Could you not double up at redspottedhanky on train tickets?
    Originally posted by gwapenut
    I also spend ours in store (only get about £20 a year anyway) as we never travel by train or eat out / takeaways.
    • markbernstein
    • By markbernstein 11th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    markbernstein
    Make sure to take a look at the very long list of exclusions before exchanging points for a Hotels.com voucher. It cannot be used for the "taxes and fees" part of the room price and for many (perhaps most) chain hotels.
    Here's the list: uk.hotels.com/page/hotel-exclusions-emea/
    Last edited by markbernstein; 11-07-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

259Posts Today

1,072Users online

Martin's Twitter