Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 02346631
    • By 02346631 3rd Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 57Posts
    • 42Thanks
    02346631
    Mortgage application with address change
    • #1
    • 3rd Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    Mortgage application with address change 3rd Jul 17 at 5:27 PM
    Hi All,

    FTB here with a couple of questions in the hope that someone has experienced similar. I知 currently in the process of buying a house, valuation has come in ok and I知 hoping I値l get an official offer this week or next. The house I知 buying is in a chain so I知 assuming it痴 going to be a couple of months minimum before I知 in a position to complete. The owners of the place I知 buying have only just found somewhere as well so starting the application process now.

    Now the issue I知 having is the flat I知 renting currently is being sold by the owner which I wasn稚 expecting. It痴 gone on the market today with no chain in a popular FTB area so I知 expecting it to sell really quickly. On that basis, I think I値l be out of here in a couple of months maximum so I値l essentially be homeless. I致e got friends etc I can stay with temporarily so no disaster there.

    My question is if the bank is likely to have an issue with me changing my address during the purchase? I知 sure this happens quite frequently but I知 not sure how it works. I知 a bit worried about falling off the electoral register and address changes hammering my credit rating. I知 also finding myself thinking of worst case scenarios where it takes a long time to complete and my mortgage offer expires meaning I have to re-apply.

    Has anyone had an experience of something similar and how it worked? I have one other quick question as well. Should I wait till I get my mortgage offer before I book the building survey? I can稚 imagine there being an issue with the offer but you never know I suppose. This house buying thing is stressful to say the least!

    Thanks for reading,

    Chris
    Last edited by 02346631; 03-07-2017 at 7:34 PM.
Page 1
    • aneary
    • By aneary 3rd Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    aneary
    • #2
    • 3rd Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • #2
    • 3rd Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    I would wait until further along before getting a building survey in case things fall through and you lose your money, I lost money on a survey because the seller with held information about a dispute until we were very near exchange.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 3rd Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 5,307 Thanks
    kinger101
    • #3
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • #3
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    I've recently had a similar issue. Though I've not made an offer on a property yet, I have sold one (completed), and there will be a lag in the time it will take for the credit agencies to obtain the electoral roll details for the property I'm renting in the interim.

    I spoke directly to the bank I have my current account with (their mortgage rates are good anyway), and managed to get the DIP which included a hard credit check. They've assured me at won't be an issue.

    Really, you need to speak to whoever you intend to borrow money from.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 3rd Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 3,887 Posts
    • 5,307 Thanks
    kinger101
    • #4
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • #4
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    I would wait until further along before getting a building survey in case things fall through and you lose your money, I lost money on a survey because the seller with held information about a dispute until we were very near exchange.
    Originally posted by aneary
    Some form of survey would be done before the mortgage offer is made, for the purposes of valuation. Some people combine the banks valuation with their own more detailed survey.

    Waiting for a TA6 back before a survey might make sense, but you can't stall these too long without the vendor deciding you're not a serious buyer.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 3rd Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    • 41,507 Posts
    • 47,909 Thanks
    G_M
    • #5
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    • #5
    • 3rd Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    ........ I’m assuming it’s going to be a couple of months minimum before I’m in a position to complete.

    ......... the flat I’m renting currently is being sold by the owner which I wasn’t expecting. It’s gone on the market today ....so I’m expecting it to sell really quickly. ........I think I’ll be out of here in a couple of months maximum
    Originally posted by 02346631
    Makes no sense.

    * what makes you think your current home will sell so much quicker than your buyer's? It might, it might not
    * plus properties with tenants in stitu take longer to sell than empty or owner-occupied properties
    * have you been served a S21 Notice. If not, you have: 2 months grace, + however long it is before you receive a S21, + however long it is before the LL then applies to court, + takes the LL to get a court date, + bailiff time....... so 4+ monthss
    * how cooperatice are you being over access by the LL/agents etc for viewings, photos, survey etc?
    • 02346631
    • By 02346631 3rd Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    02346631
    • #6
    • 3rd Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • #6
    • 3rd Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, I've been told I should have an update from the bank tomorrow. It's taking a little longer because my case is being audited. So I'll definitely wait to get my DIP before going for a survey I think as it should be soon. The bank has already done the valuation but I'd like a full one as well because it's a victorian terrace.

    Makes no sense.

    * what makes you think your current home will sell so much quicker than your buyer's? It might, it might not
    * plus properties with tenants in stitu take longer to sell than empty or owner-occupied properties
    * have you been served a S21 Notice. If not, you have: 2 months grace, + however long it is before you receive a S21, + however long it is before the LL then applies to court, + takes the LL to get a court date, + bailiff time....... so 4+ monthss
    * how cooperatice are you being over access by the LL/agents etc for viewings, photos, survey etc?
    Originally posted by G_M
    I'm making assumptions there I know but i'm just thinking it's more than likely going to be bought by a FTB so no chain. Where as the one i'm going for may well be. Waiting to hear how big the chain is at the moment. It also only went on the market today but theres 5 viewings already. The market is crazy in Manchester at the moment.

    I've not had a notice yet but i'm only on a 30 day rolling contract so they'd only have to give me a 30 day notice I think? I've been very co-operative with the owner and estate agent because she's always been really good with me since i've been here.
    • 02346631
    • By 02346631 3rd Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    02346631
    • #7
    • 3rd Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • #7
    • 3rd Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    I've recently had a similar issue. Though I've not made an offer on a property yet, I have sold one (completed), and there will be a lag in the time it will take for the credit agencies to obtain the electoral roll details for the property I'm renting in the interim.

    I spoke directly to the bank I have my current account with (their mortgage rates are good anyway), and managed to get the DIP which included a hard credit check. They've assured me at won't be an issue.

    Really, you need to speak to whoever you intend to borrow money from.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    Thanks for this. I'm going through a broker so i've been trying to get hold of them today. I'll make sure they speak to the bank about a potential address change and get some assurances from them if possible.
    • 02346631
    • By 02346631 8th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    02346631
    • #8
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • #8
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    Hi All,

    Quick update, I found out that the house the owners are buying is not in a chain so that's good news, more hopeful of it completing before I'm out of my flat now.

    Still don't have my mortgage offer yet though which is frustrating. I was expecting it at least a week ago but it's been chosen for an audit. Don't suppose anyone has experience of that do they and how long the delay normally is? I'm going through Barclays mainly because the broker told me they work quickly :-(
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

3,098Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

  • Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

  • RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

  • Follow Martin