First Class flights.

Options
We live in the Far East for 6 months and UK for 6 months.
Recently we've been travelling on Vietnam Airlines Business Class which has very good deals but a 3 hour or more stopover in Hanoi or HCMC.
I've been thinking of trying a flight in First Class and wonder what others experiences might be.
Thai come out cheapest although timings not the best.
Emirates look OK and we like the Airbus 380 which seems a very quiet plane on Emirates.

The missus says BA FC hasn't got good reviews although as it would be non stop I find it attractive.

I've been checking the prices through the Matrix website but can't see how to book the prices they show. Any ideas on this or a website which allows you to book the prices they give??

Anyone got any comments??
It's your money. Except if it's the governments.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is the BA flight on newer aircraft or B747 B772?

Will your route get new BA A350 aircraft on it?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From what I can see BA is 777 in one direction and 380 in the other.

Haven't seen the 350 on any long haul route to the FE yet.

Vietnam Airlines used brand new 787s.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    Options
    slinga wrote: »
    From what I can see BA is 777 in one direction and 380 in the other..

A380 is a great aircraft. The BA B777 to avoid is the 200 version.

I'd pick the A380 in both directions.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    What is the price difference between first and business?

Air France has a bit of a marmite reputation but I enjoyed their first product, definitely better than BA's current offering. The service at CDG is well worth a few hours transit time.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Arab airlines for first every time.

Not that I've ever used them.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We did a BA First last month. It was a great experience and lovely to do once. However we both said that we wouldn't have paid with our own cash for it (we upgraded with Avios) - we'd happily fly Business and save the money.

If you head over to the BA forums on Flyertalk, you'll find many opinions - including some who say that other carriers Business class is as good as BA First.
  • lady1964
    lady1964 Posts: 955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We've flown BA first once, we paid £400 each to upgrade from CW, it turned out we were the only people in that cabin. It was good, food was ok, seat was comfortable but honestly, I didn't think it was such a big step up from CW to be honest.

Our last lot of long haul flights have been on QR in Business and that, IMO, is way better than BA first and was significantly cheaper. We flew ex EU to get the better prices, think half the cost of flying out of the UK, and we're planning to do a very similar bunch of flights next year.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    slinga wrote: »
    Haven't seen the 350 on any long haul route to the FE yet.
    Cathay Pacific fly A350s from LGW to HKG (which IMO vastly superior to DXB and DOH when transiting). I haven't experienced their business or first but their economy is exceptional. Cathay are my 1st choice for getting to SE Asia, but prices seem to have shot up over the last year.

Thai are due to introduce the A350 on LHR to BKK in September (source).
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    dj1471 wrote: »
    Cathay Pacific fly A350s from LGW to HKG (which IMO vastly superior to DXB and DOH when transiting).

If I'm going to South East Asia and want a transit, I want it half way so the Middle East works well. Going to HKG you're already there so it defeats the purpose of splitting up the journey for a break after 6 to 8 hours.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    Options
    HHarry wrote: »
    If you head over to the BA forums on Flyertalk, you'll find many opinions - including some who say that other carriers Business class is as good as BA First.

I would agree with that opinion, but the Flyertalk BA Forum has some strange characters posting. It's become a bit of a laughing stock over there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure