Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slinga
    • By slinga 28th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,082Posts
    • 222Thanks
    slinga
    0 WOW
    First Class flights.
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    0 WOW
    First Class flights. 28th Jun 17 at 10:35 AM
    We live in the Far East for 6 months and UK for 6 months.
    Recently we've been travelling on Vietnam Airlines Business Class which has very good deals but a 3 hour or more stopover in Hanoi or HCMC.
    I've been thinking of trying a flight in First Class and wonder what others experiences might be.
    Thai come out cheapest although timings not the best.
    Emirates look OK and we like the Airbus 380 which seems a very quiet plane on Emirates.

The missus says BA FC hasn't got good reviews although as it would be non stop I find it attractive.

I've been checking the prices through the Matrix website but can't see how to book the prices they show. Any ideas on this or a website which allows you to book the prices they give??

Anyone got any comments??
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 28th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 18,300 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    richardw
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    • 28th Jun 17, 10:39 AM
    Is the BA flight on newer aircraft or B747 B772?

Will your route get new BA A350 aircraft on it?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 28th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    slinga
    • 28th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 12:22 PM
    From what I can see BA is 777 in one direction and 380 in the other.

Haven't seen the 350 on any long haul route to the FE yet.

Vietnam Airlines used brand new 787s.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 28th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 18,300 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    richardw
    • 28th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 12:46 PM
    From what I can see BA is 777 in one direction and 380 in the other..
    Originally posted by slinga
    A380 is a great aircraft. The BA B777 to avoid is the 200 version.

I'd pick the A380 in both directions.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 28th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 3,409 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 28th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    What is the price difference between first and business?

Air France has a bit of a marmite reputation but I enjoyed their first product, definitely better than BA's current offering. The service at CDG is well worth a few hours transit time.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 28th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 7,169 Posts
    • 8,830 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 28th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    Arab airlines for first every time.

Not that I've ever used them.
    • HHarry
    • By HHarry 28th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 268 Thanks
    HHarry
    • 28th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 7:14 PM
    We did a BA First last month. It was a great experience and lovely to do once. However we both said that we wouldn't have paid with our own cash for it (we upgraded with Avios) - we'd happily fly Business and save the money.

If you head over to the BA forums on Flyertalk, you'll find many opinions - including some who say that other carriers Business class is as good as BA First.
    • lady1964
    • By lady1964 28th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    lady1964
    • 28th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    We've flown BA first once, we paid £400 each to upgrade from CW, it turned out we were the only people in that cabin. It was good, food was ok, seat was comfortable but honestly, I didn't think it was such a big step up from CW to be honest.

Our last lot of long haul flights have been on QR in Business and that, IMO, is way better than BA first and was significantly cheaper. We flew ex EU to get the better prices, think half the cost of flying out of the UK, and we're planning to do a very similar bunch of flights next year.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 28th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 28th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    • 28th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    Haven't seen the 350 on any long haul route to the FE yet.
    Cathay Pacific fly A350s from LGW to HKG (which IMO vastly superior to DXB and DOH when transiting). I haven't experienced their business or first but their economy is exceptional. Cathay are my 1st choice for getting to SE Asia, but prices seem to have shot up over the last year.

Thai are due to introduce the A350 on LHR to BKK in September (source).
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 30th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    fifeken
    Cathay Pacific fly A350s from LGW to HKG (which IMO vastly superior to DXB and DOH when transiting).
    Originally posted by dj1471

If I'm going to South East Asia and want a transit, I want it half way so the Middle East works well. Going to HKG you're already there so it defeats the purpose of splitting up the journey for a break after 6 to 8 hours.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 30th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    fifeken
    If you head over to the BA forums on Flyertalk, you'll find many opinions - including some who say that other carriers Business class is as good as BA First.
    Originally posted by HHarry
    I would agree with that opinion, but the Flyertalk BA Forum has some strange characters posting. It's become a bit of a laughing stock over there.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 30th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 18,300 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    richardw
    ..... the Flyertalk BA Forum has some strange characters posting....
    Originally posted by fifeken
    There are characters on all forums, some post here, there and everywhere.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 30th Jun 17, 8:08 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    dj1471
    If I'm going to South East Asia and want a transit, I want it half way so the Middle East works well. Going to HKG you're already there so it defeats the purpose of splitting up the journey for a break after 6 to 8 hours.
    Originally posted by fifeken
    Each to their own. I actually hate splitting the journey in half since you only get a relatively small window between meal services on each flight to rest/sleep so the travel time feels longer. Plus I fly economy and neither Emirates or Qatar have a half-decent economy class (I have nightmares about being stuck on another of Qatar's Dreamliners in Economy... despite them giving me a free upgrade to business on 1 leg).
    • SW17
    • By SW17 6th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    SW17
    We live in the Far East for 6 months and UK for 6 months.
    Recently we've been travelling on Vietnam Airlines Business Class which has very good deals but a 3 hour or more stopover in Hanoi or HCMC.
    I've been thinking of trying a flight in First Class and wonder what others experiences might be.
    Thai come out cheapest although timings not the best.
    Emirates look OK and we like the Airbus 380 which seems a very quiet plane on Emirates.

The missus says BA FC hasn't got good reviews although as it would be non stop I find it attractive.

I've been checking the prices through the Matrix website but can't see how to book the prices they show. Any ideas on this or a website which allows you to book the prices they give??

Anyone got any comments??
    If the route has both A380 and 777s being operated by BA, i will assume it's either HK or Singapore. BA First is a step up from BA business class, but not on the same level as First with Cathay Pacific or Singapore Airlines, your other direct options from those places. On the other hand, BA is likely to be cheaper than either of them. You get what you pay for...

Never flown First with Emirates, but the people I know that have, had no complaints at all. Just depends on whether you are happy with the indirect route and the style of the airline.

Regarding Matrix, for a straight return flight on one carrier, you should usually be able to recreate it on the airline website, though sometimes you need to call or use a good travel agent. When you open up the fare details in the Matrix search result, it will give all the fare codes an agent needs to book it.

Is the BA flight on newer aircraft or B747 B772?

Will your route get new BA A350 aircraft on it?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Deliveries of A350s to BA will not start until at least Sep 2018.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 7th Jul 17, 8:26 AM
    • 18,300 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    richardw
    ...Deliveries of A350s to BA will not start until at least Sep 2018.
    Originally posted by SW17
    Yes, I'm aware of this, the OP is a regular flyer, it was a suggestion for consideration for future planning/flying.
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 7th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    fifeken
    There are characters on all forums, some post here, there and everywhere.
    Yes, characters everywhere. It was the strange characters on the BA Flyertalk forum I was trying to highlight. They seem to have more than their fair share of them there.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 8th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    slinga
    The missus has found that Swissair First Class is the cheapest. LHR/Changi/LHR

They look good with one short layover.

Any comments.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 8th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 18,300 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    richardw
    ....Swissair First Class is the cheapest...
    They don't have A350, A380 or B787 aircraft, which are better on long haul flights.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 9th Jul 17, 7:23 AM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    slinga
    They don't have A350, A380 or B787 aircraft, which are better on long haul flights.
    Thanks. But how are they better.

A FC seat is a FC seat.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 9th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 18,300 Posts
    • 7,573 Thanks
    richardw
    New aircraft types are quieter and the air quality better, you arrive feeling less tired.
    I've flown long haul on A380, B747, B772 and B787 aircraft recently and the A380 and B787 flights were much better.
    A great seat in business on a new aircraft type is very good.

Compare the Swissair fare with A380 services on BA and SQ from SIN in businesss and first.
    Last edited by richardw; 09-07-2017 at 9:50 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,256Posts Today

8,458Users online

Martin's Twitter