Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 19th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,713Posts
    • 3,064Thanks
    swingaloo
    No wonder people fly tip!
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    No wonder people fly tip! 19th Jun 17 at 1:59 PM
    Before I start- No, I do not condone fly tipping, I think its disgusting.

Son wants to get rid of some trade waste, its mostly furniture but it would be at least twice a month. We are on the border of 2 neighbouring councils. The one we don't live in runs a permit scheme whereby you pay a yearly fee of £200 to use the recycling centre as often as you need.

As we are 35 yards into the next council area he cant use that centre.

The one we come under charges £94 plus vat for the first half ton and a further £94 plus vat for every additional half or part of a ton. No yearly permit available, just pay each time you come.
    So with our council it would cost a few thousand a year, next door council £200 a year.

Not my idea of fair.
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 19th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    It's a business, your son should have taken these costs into account when doing his business plan.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 19th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    Can you choose what council to use?
    • missile
    • By missile 19th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 8,727 Posts
    • 4,199 Thanks
    missile
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:14 PM
    Maybe son could rent a lock up to use as a business address in the borough of your choosing?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 19th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    you can use any council facilities.

a while back as a business we were given some navy grey paint as a donation (6 x 5lt tins), but never got round to using it and a few weeks back we notice some tins leaking, as they have toxic warnings on the tins we had to dispose of them commercially, contacted local authority and was quoted £320, contacted a neighbouring authority and was quoted £200, so we chose the neighbouring authority and they collected the tines within 48 hrs
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 19th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 3,064 Thanks
    swingaloo
    It's a business, your son should have taken these costs into account when doing his business plan.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Not sure where the need for that comment comes from but thank you for stating the obvious.

He has taken the cost into account which is how we know about them. However my vent was about the difference in 2 councils a mile apart.
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 19th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 3,064 Thanks
    swingaloo
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    you can use any council facilities.

a while back as a business we were given some navy grey paint as a donation (6 x 5lt tins), but never got round to using it and a few weeks back we notice some tins leaking, as they have toxic warnings on the tins we had to dispose of them commercially, contacted local authority and was quoted £320, contacted a neighbouring authority and was quoted £200, so we chose the neighbouring authority and they collected the tines within 48 hrs
    Originally posted by angryparcel

Unfortunately you can only use the cheaper council recycling centre if you have proof of living in the borough.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 19th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    Not sure where the need for that comment comes from but thank you for stating the obvious.

He has taken the cost into account which is how we know about them. However my vent was about the difference in 2 councils a mile apart.
    Originally posted by swingaloo
    why are goods in Tesco a different price to Asda? it is the same thing, they are running a business. also a lot of councils use 3rd party companies to run recycling centres, so all charge different rates
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 19th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 5,178 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    I don't get the part about "No wonder people fly tip" a bit of a misleading title when all you are complaining about is the difference between two different councils and their charges and nothing to do with actual flytipping.

I can't see any possible reason within your post that should lead anyone to flytip.

People who flytip are selfish idiots, there us no other possible reason or excuse for it. Sometimes in may be more work and cost to dispose of things properly but that is no excuse.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 19th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I don't get the part about "No wonder people fly tip" a bit of a misleading title when all you are complaining about is the difference between two different councils and their charges and nothing to do with actual flytipping.

I can't see any possible reason within your post that should lead anyone to flytip.

People who flytip are selfish idiots, there us no other possible reason or excuse for it. Sometimes in may be more work and cost to dispose of things properly but that is no excuse.
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    Exactly, nothing to do with fly tipping as clearly this is about a business being charged to use a recycling centre which is the same with every council in the UK and like any business they all charge different rates
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 19th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 2,686 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    You could pay a disposal company, one that is based elsewhere
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Jun 17, 2:47 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Cant you get a PO box in the neighbouring council ??

Not sure if that is enough, im just throwing ideas out there
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 19th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2,375 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Unfortunately you can only use the cheaper council recycling centre if you have proof of living in the borough.
    Then your son should move to that borough if it means that much to him. He's not a serf.

Of course councils provide different services at different prices. Why do you think we have councils? Some councils still do weekly bin collections, others fortnightly. That's not unfair, that's just your choice of where you live. If all councils in the UK were required to provide exactly the same services for the same price, then we could sack all the councillors and their staff and have them run by central government and save a hell of a lot of money.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 19th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 1,094 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    Doesn't the title to this forum include the word "vent"? and isn't that what the OP is doing, simply venting at the fact that what one council charges £200 per year for, a different council may well charge in excess of £2000?
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 19th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 3,064 Thanks
    swingaloo
    Doesn't the title to this forum include the word "vent"? and isn't that what the OP is doing, simply venting at the fact that what one council charges £200 per year for, a different council may well charge in excess of £2000?
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger

Thank you, at least one person understands what a vent is. yes things are priced differently in Tesco and Asda but I doubt if there is such as massive difference as in the case I'm venting about.

I mentioned fly tipping as quite often in the area there are very often mattresses and couches left in the lane where I cut through on my way to work probably dumped there because people cant afford or cant be bothered to dispose of them the correct way.

If the minimum charge is around £100 to take them to the recycling centre then people are going to be tempted to dispose of them illegally. Even to have them collected in our borough is £55 where its £25 in the next.

The council tax charges are similar in both boroughs. The cost to the council of clearing the fly tipping must be high so surely it would pay to make it cheaper for the public to dispose of rubbish correctly.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 19th Jun 17, 3:26 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel

I mentioned fly tipping as quite often in the area there are very often mattresses and couches left in the lane where I cut through on my way to work probably dumped there because people cant afford or cant be bothered to dispose of them the correct way.
    But that has nothing to do with businesses being charged for using council facilities.
    Fly tipping is due to charges local councils charge for bulk collections. ours now charge £12 for 1 item, yes you can take things to local recycle centres for free as a resident, but certain things you are charged for and if you take things in a black bag them with ours you have to take everything out so it can go in the correct dumpster while 6+ centre employees stand around doing nothing
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th Jun 17, 3:27 PM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 2,552 Thanks
    sheramber
    Charges for dumping waste are usually only for commercial waste so no excuse for householders to fly tip.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 19th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Obviously fly tipping exists.

People shouldn't do it.

I would not be at all surprised if there is a correlation between the incidence of fly tipping and the cost of disposing of the stuff at council sites.

If people fly tip because they're lazy or whatever, they may also do it because they think the cost of doing it properly is too high.
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 19th Jun 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 3,064 Thanks
    swingaloo
    Charges for dumping waste are usually only for commercial waste so no excuse for householders to fly tip.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    That's not necessarily so. Householders in our borough can only go free if they are in a car. Any large items needing a van incur the £90 plus fee.

I know there is no excuse for fly tipping but a lot of households simply cannot afford these charges.
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 19th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Mchambers
    I almost fly tipped a dead rat lol !! I know what I could do next time that I find one. Hopefully will not happen. Talking of sinking rats.....I see the SFO should be making public tomorrow their findings on Barclays Bank lol !!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

376Posts Today

4,351Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin