Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 17th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 207Posts
    • 178Thanks
    hybernia
    Garmin SatNav help urgently required . . .
    • 17th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    Garmin SatNav help urgently required . . . 17th Jun 17 at 12:31 PM
    Sorry to be a nuisance here with what might be a stupid question, but I can't seem to find any explanation anywhere as to what I'm actually supposed to do with the newly purchased memory card which Garmin said I should purchase because my device memory was 99% full.

We're shortly to set off on a mainland Europe holiday, hiring a car at our destination and taking our Garmin nuvi 2595 with us. This satnav came with lifetime free map updates, so last week I attempted to download the new 2018.10 European coverage version, only for Garmin Express to report that I might not have enough space in device memory for the install so should expand the memory with an micro sd card.

So I've bought the card, installed it, and with the satnav connected to my Windows computer can see it now has two drives, the almost totally full device memory, and the totally empty 16Gb sd card memory.

But I've no idea what to do next, and there's not a word in Garmin support pages or user manual.

All that's said is, buy a card, then use your computer to copy and paste files between drives. Er, well, yes. I know how to do that. Anybody would. But that's not the point.

What I want to know is what, exactly, am I supposed to do NOW? Do I copy everything in device memory and paste it into card memory -- and then delete everything from device memory so that it's empty and ready for the new download?

Or do I only copy some folders and files to the card memory and delete the originals from device memory? If so, which folders, which files?

Will the Garmin Express software automatically recognise that the existing device memory is full, and so will download and install to sd card memory instead???

Do I somehow get the Garmin Express software (itself, newly updated) to recognise the sd card and actually download / install the updated European maps directly to it? If so, there's nothing at all in any Garmin tools or settings I can find which allows me to choose the download / install destination.

Help would be much appreciated as I need to get this update download situation sorted ASAP.

I'm not familiar with memory expansion and usage where satnavs are concerned and I'm furious that Garmin's support in this regard is so blatantly useless. Buy a card and go copy and paste stuff. Ab-so-lute-ly. . . brilliant.
Page 1
    • hybernia
    • By hybernia 17th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    hybernia
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    Problem solved. Please ignore this post.

I was worried about the absence of certainty re this update and if it might be halted because of the lack of device memory capacity. It's turned out that the Garmin Express software automatically recognised the new SD card and advised that it would download everything to that card.

If only Garmin had said -- anywhere, in any documentation -- that once an SD card is installed, it will be automatically recognised and used as the destination drive. . . <sigh>
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 17th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 4:34 PM
    Glad you are sorted. I recognise the frustration when instructions are incomplete. At least you have a new map that fits on your device. Us poor TomTom users have to store our maps over split folders because they are too big for the dainty little storage capacity on the device!!!

Also I remember having updated my maps to include Menorca, setting off to stay near Gatwick with the Satnav saying waiting for satellite signal for 2 1/2 hours (good job I know the way) before finally going through the start-up routine when I powered down and back up again using the long press.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Jun 17, 5:21 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:21 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 5:21 PM
    You are not alone! I ran into the same problem, utterly confused by the lack of any advice from Garmin Express. Then, as you did, I realised that it was done automatically.

And I built computers! DOH!
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• molerat
    • By molerat 17th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    molerat
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:00 PM
    I remember a customer coming in once with a TomTom which just kept searching and not finding where it was. If it had been clever it would have noticed that the USA map was selected and the unit was in the UK and then come up with some clever screen prompt to change map instead of appearing to be faulty. Luckily, me being a smart !!!!, had seen it before and the customer went away a bit sheepish.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Jun 17, 6:01 PM
    • 16,643 Posts
    • 10,858 Thanks
    molerat
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:01 PM
    • 17th Jun 17, 6:01 PM
    I remember a customer coming in once with a TomTom which just kept searching and not finding where it was. If it had been clever it would have noticed that the USA map was selected and the unit was in the UK and then come up with some clever screen prompt to change or check the map instead of appearing to be faulty. Luckily, me being a smart !!!!, had seen it before and the customer went away a bit sheepish.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,070Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin