How to get building work checked

Options
We have recently had an extension done and they seemed to be doing fine (as far as we know) with everything but the builders were doing the whole thing - i.e. plastering, flooring, kitchen fitting etc as well. At this stage, we noticed that the work was very shoddy as it was stuff we understood a bit more. Our hope is that they arr good builders but not so good at the finishing stuff but we're now worries that their building work might be shoddy too. Is there any kind of post-extension survey you can get done to check the quality of the work or any other way of getting it checked? It's been signed off by Building Control but my understanding is that they don't necessarily check the quality of the work. :(

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    Did you not get references and physically look at their previous jobs
  • Hebrews12
    Hebrews12 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    References yes, and looked at previous jobs to a point. But the question I'm asking is whether or not I can get it checked now.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A RICS surveyor. A lot of things are going to be hidden now, but I'm sure they'll have an isea if whether it's a good job. I've had building inspectors in footings measuring them to the mm so they do check quality to a certain degree, but they won't be looking for the world's best pointing up etc.

It's unlikely that the same people are doing the finishing and the starting, iyswim. Plasterers just plaster. A carpenter might cut your roof joists but most of a carpentry job comes at the end with doors, skirting, kitchens etc. they won't be digging foundations or bricklaying. If your plastering is a bit slapdash then it doesn't necessarily fit that the brickwork is too.

Start your snagging list now, but some things won't be finished and the builder should snag themselves before your list.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Get a Clerk of Works involved. Aim for MICWCI grade or FICWCI grade. This would probably be cheaper than a RICS surveyor. But if that is what you want then aim for a Chartered Building Surveyor.

The quality should have been monitored all the way through the job, starting with the drawings and the Specification. It is now a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. You also have to ask a fundamental.. If the report confirms your bad news thoughts then what are you aiming to do then? If it is to pursue the builder for compensation then fine. If it is only out of curiosity then why bother?
  • ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What contract have you got with the builder? Have you agreed a retention, normally 5%, that is withheld until they have completed any snagging? Reality is that if you pay them the full amount before they complete any snagging, then it's very, very difficult to get them back.

Aside from any obvious issues that will probably be very obvious to your own eyes, it would be very difficult to argue the quality of finish now if that hasn't been agreed at the start, it can be so subjective.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure