Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • noclaf
    • By noclaf 14th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 17Thanks
    noclaf
    Pension/SIPP query
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    Pension/SIPP query 14th Jun 17 at 11:19 PM
    Hi guys,

I recently changed jobs so this got me thinking about my pension situation. I am 36, don't own a property and am saving for one.

previous employer pension value - ~£20k and will continue to be managed by the same provider/fund.
    my new employers pension scheme is quite generous and I am maxing it out so contributing 8% of monthly salary (before tax) and employer will match with 12% so 20% net per month.

now the bit I need your advice on - I had another pension from a job many years back...it was managed by standard life and being rather inexperienced after I left the job, decided to transfer it out to my hargreaves SIPP and then sell and reinvest it all in a vanguard lifestrategy 80% acc tracker...its 49% up in value at present, Ive not made any contributions since transferring it. I still regret ever doing the transfer since am likely paying higher annual fee's to hl and it would of been fine leaving it with standard life.

given I am saving up for a property deposit and already contribute via my employer pension I don't see any point in adding funds to this one.

my questions are :
    - should I just leave this pension as it is on the vanguard tracker
    - OR is there any reason the tracker I am using is not ideal for a pension fund and would you change for a different product?
    - any other advice or options to consider?

sorry for the long post, its just bugging me!
    Last edited by noclaf; 14-06-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Page 1
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 15th Jun 17, 1:30 AM
    • 5,042 Posts
    • 7,023 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:30 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 1:30 AM
    Is transferring it to your new employers scheme a possibility?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • LHW99
    • By LHW99 15th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 853 Thanks
    LHW99
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 9:43 AM
    HL can be poor value for larger pots, and there are other providers that can do it cheaper. I think the point at which it can be worth considering a change is around the 30k - 40k mark, depending on what you invest in.
    Look for Snowman's spreadsheet on this site, and you can compare investment costs.
    Vanguard LS funds are not bad, if you are happy with what (geographies, euqity / bond split etc) they are invested in.
    • BLB53
    • By BLB53 15th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    BLB53
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    • 15th Jun 17, 10:21 AM
    Personally I would stick with the VLS fund - low cost and globally diverse. As you say, HL can be more expensive for funds - Vanguard will be launching their own SIPP platform later this year so see what they would be charging (their ISA platform is 0.15%) and consider a transfer.
    If you choose index funds you can never outperform the market.
    If you choose managed funds there's a high probability you will underperform index funds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,207Posts Today

6,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin