PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry - how long til they confirm ownership?

Having recently downsized and I paid outright for my new home. I as told the final thing that happens legally is that the Land Registry sends the solicitor a one liner confirming I am now listed as the registered owner - apparently you don't always get the deeds these days.

I moved 5 weeks ago - how long does the Land Registry usually take?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    We moved in August last year but didn't get the deeds until February.
    The land was unregistered though so did take longer than usual.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    * has SDLT been paid? When?
    * Has the TR1 been sent to LR? When?
    * Is the property registered, or is this a 1st registration?

The above will influence the timescale, as will the current LR backlogs (which I can't comment on).

Have you tried looking at the LR website for your property?

Did you do the conveyancing yourself? (if so, you'll know the answers to the Qs above!).
    Or did you use a solicitor/Licenced Conveyancer? If so, have you asked him? He should, in any case, send you a pack including a copy of the registered Title.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,776 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As others have posted it's important to know what the purchase was of and when submitted

If it is a normal sale/buy of the whole of a registered property then the average timescale to register is currently 7 working days.

However after you complete you often move in before the application is submitted so that may be a reason for you now being 5 weeks on.

Your solicitor should be able to confirm when they submitted it, if there are any problems and also what confirmation they intend to pass on once registered.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • onthego
    onthego Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 July 2017 at 3:06PM
    I bought a property, it completed on 12th April, but nearly 3 months later I have still not received anything from the Land Registry to confirm the sale. I have chased it up twice with the conveyancer and she tells me she has received nothing yet and that this is normal, it is due to land registry delays.
    I am surprised the Land Registry have managed to publish price paid data for April and May, and house price index for April, without registering my April sale. It makes me wonder if they may be delaying registering low price properties in order to produce better looking stats for the government, as my lovely house cost I think less than a quarter of the UK average.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I think the price data is sourced from applications being received rather than being completed, but it's amazing what conspiracy theories people will cook up!
  • onthego
    onthego Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    You'd be surprised. At least one analyst I know in the public sector has had them up above reply to stats saying oh no don't send us that, send us better-looking numbers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure