PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

permitted use issue

Hi -- would be very grateful for any advice on the following situation...

A planning search shows that a house I'm trying to buy was given permission to change permitted use to 'Katie House'(!) in 1993 -- the planning document explains that means 3 separate bedsits plus a communal lounge, it was some kind of social/halfway house.

The current owner bought in 2014 and changed it back to a single residence.

My solicitor has asked for evidence of change of permitted use, the vendor says that's not necessary because the 1993 permission was specifically granted to a named person.

The vendor's conclusion is that the use would automatically revert to being a residence, since there is no one around who has permission to operate it as a 'Katie House'.

Any thoughts? Is this something that could be covered by indemnity insurance?

TIA

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What do

a) your solicitor, and
    b) the council say?

You have asked them, yes?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    baisui wrote: »
    the vendor says that's not necessary because the 1993 permission was specifically granted to a named person.

Does your solicitor agree? Is that what the permission says i.e. as a condition it can only be operated by a named person? Every planning consent is granted to a named applicant, that doesn't mean they're personal in that sense - in fact it's pretty rare for a consent to be personal.
  • lwhiteman88
    lwhiteman88 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Does the planning decision notice not define the planning use class? Are you able to post a link to the application. I am quite intrigued/sceptical as I have never heard of this. Planners provide permission on the land and not to a particular person. Hence why I am intrigued.

It sounds like it changed from a class C3 to C4 and has since been changed back to a C3 which wouldn't require permission.

If you had time on your hand you/vendor could apply to the planning department for a 'certificate of lawful development - existing use' which would clarify that the existing use is lawful but that could take 8 weeks.
  • baisui
    baisui Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the responses.

My solicitor just sent me their response today without comment, I will speak to her tomorrow.

I would post an image of the doc, but the forum won't let me post links/images.

A summary:
    Council has granted permission for development in pursuance of S 91(1) of the Town and Country Planning Act.

This permission to use premises as three flats with communal lounge and outreach facilities shall not be exercised by any person than [sic] Mr X.

This permission is granted only having regard to the special circumstances of and case advanced by Mr X.
  • baisui
    Does the planning decision notice not define the planning use class? Are you able to post a link to the application. I am quite intrigued/sceptical as I have never heard of this. Planners provide permission on the land and not to a particular person. Hence why I am intrigued.

It sounds like it changed from a class C3 to C4 and has since been changed back to a C3 which wouldn't require permission.

If you had time on your hand you/vendor could apply to the planning department for a 'certificate of lawful development - existing use' which would clarify that the existing use is lawful but that could take 8 weeks.

It doesn't mention anything about classes at all.

Our solicitor initially asked theirs to provide a certificate as you suggested, but now time is pressing. They are buying and we're trying to get mortgage redemption fees back. We're due to exchange next week. That could be pushed back a little but not much before it ends up costing us a lot of money. So I'm just trying to work out my options in the first instance.
  • baisui
    G_M wrote: »
    What do

a) your solicitor, and
    b) the council say?

You have asked them, yes?

Am a bit worried about approaching the council -- there is an indemnity policy for other issues: old attic conversion and extension without permissions -- don't want to invalidate the policy.
  • lwhiteman88
    baisui wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.

My solicitor just sent me their response today without comment, I will speak to her tomorrow.

I would post an image of the doc, but the forum won't let me post links/images.

A summary:

I have never seen this before so I can really comment on the practicalities of this. If it is as it says then you would hope that your solicitor/lender can see it only relates to the person named. It seems that it could have been for a charity as it mentions outreach facilities.

I think the best way to resolve this would be to speak to a planning consultant who could prepare a statement stating that the single swelling use you are proposing is lawful. They may caveat that a lawful certificate should be applied for but the letter may give enough weight to suit the solicitor/vendor.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Having a certificate of lawful development doesn't mean that not having one makes it unlawful. Permitted development is permitted development with or without a piece of paper.

I think the named planning permission is a bit of a red herring that is complicating matters.

You can call the planning department and ask them if a house laid out as three bedsits with communal lounge can be converted to a single dwelling under PD rights. You don't need to name the house.

If they confirm that it would be PD then no paperwork is needed. Sometimes solicitors go over the top and don't really know what they're asking for.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • lwhiteman88
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Having a certificate of lawful development doesn't mean that not having one makes it unlawful. Permitted development is permitted development with or without a piece of paper.

I think the named planning permission is a bit of a red herring that is complicating matters.

You can call the planning department and ask them if a house laid out as three bedsits with communal lounge can be converted to a single dwelling under PD rights. You don't need to name the house.

If they confirm that it would be PD then no paperwork is needed. Sometimes solicitors go over the top and don't really know what they're asking for.

Solicitors/vendors won't go by a phone call with a duty planning officer. There is a reason why we have lawful certificates and that's to have in writing that it conforms to the permitted development rights. I have seen hundreds of cases where people are advised/believe that what they are doing complies with permitted development only to apply for the certificate and being refused.

I always advise my clients to obtain the certificate even if they are certain as you can never be until you have it in writing.
  • lwhiteman88
    Just wanted to add that this isn't a clearcase of changing from a C4 to C3. It appears it could be a 'suis generis' to C3 which could require planning permission.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure