Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BiBi
    • By BiBi 10th Jun 17, 11:18 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 82Thanks
    BiBi
    Picking up keys on moving day
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:18 PM
    Picking up keys on moving day 10th Jun 17 at 11:18 PM
    Hi guys

Could I have a quick show of hands please?

What time/time of day did you pick up your keys on moving day?

I have hit an odd problem which means I've just lost the removals firm I had booked and am having no luck getting a new one as yet...

My solicitor yesterday advised that I should be able to pick up the new house keys at 2pm on completion day. The form stated 12.30 as standard text but it had been crossed out (with no comment added) and my junior solicitor said I should leave it until at least 2pm for all the days activities to complete. I'd booked the removals firm from 11am as on my previous moves I'd always picked up the keys in the morning.

I updated the removals firm and they said that 2pm was too late and I should find another firm (fairly easy move, 2-bed to 2-bed and my buyers are buying my sofa suite and all white goods & wardrobes).

I called 2 other firms to be told the same thing. They said I should be collecting my keys from 9am....

I left a message with the solicitors to ask if i could pick up in the morning (as this would better suit me too) but in my experience they won't get back to me until I've chased for a few days. So I thought I'd poll opinion just for info to see if there was a norm or if something has changed since I last moved.

I.e. Is it well known that removal firms only start in the morning or have I just hit unlucky in today's calls?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Jun 17, 11:44 PM
    • 41,049 Posts
    • 47,154 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:44 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:44 PM
    Hi guys

Could I have a quick show of hands please?

What time/time of day did you pick up your keys on moving day?
    Originally posted by BiBi
    sorry but it's a pointless question.

It will be different on a case by case basis.

The keys will be available once Completion takes place. So it depends
    a) what time your solicitor receives the money from you and /or your mortgage lender and/or your buyer
    b) what time he sends the money across to your seller
    c) what time your seller receives the money and
    d) what time your seller notices/acknowledges the money has arrived, and informs whoeever is actually holding the keys.

There may well be a target time (midday, 2.00 pm whatever) but it might be earlier, or it might be 5.00 pm
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 3,719 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    You get the keys when you have paid for the house. There is no set time for this to take place.
    • alex_163163
    • By alex_163163 11th Jun 17, 12:01 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    alex_163163
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:01 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 12:01 AM
    When we moved last month, the removal lorry arrived about 9.30-10am, loaded everything up, and then went and sat outside the new house. When we booked the firm, they said they would charge £20 per hour per man (2 man team) for every hour past 1pm that they had to wait, or we could pay an extra £30 waiting time waiver fee and then it didn't matter what time we got the keys. We paid the extra fee just in case. But we got the keys by 12.30 anyway.

Just to be clear, when you updated them with the new time, is that the time you asked them to arrive at your current place to start loading the van? If so that might be why they have said they cannot do it?
    Surely they must have had cases where keys haven't been collected by 2pm.
    • wordsearch
    • By wordsearch 11th Jun 17, 1:00 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    wordsearch
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:00 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 1:00 AM
    We got ours at 2:30pm.
    • BiBi
    • By BiBi 11th Jun 17, 5:55 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    BiBi
    • 11th Jun 17, 5:55 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 5:55 AM
    Thanks for 'showing your hands' Alex & Wordsesrch, much appreciated.

I wish there was a waiver fee option, I'd definitely take that. My quotes so far have been around £80 p/h (van + 2 porters). So if they're wanting me to pay from 11am and it doesn't happen til 2pm (at the earliest!) then I'll have wasted approx £160 (2 hours wasted, one hour loading - approx) as there's not much to actually move.

Thanks
    • remembermee
    • By remembermee 11th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    remembermee
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    Completion for us happened before 11 in the morning but we couldn't get the keys until 5pm because the previous owners were still packing up ��
    • BiBi
    • By BiBi 11th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    BiBi
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    There's only me moving on moving day day, 9 miles away.

My buyers are renting their house out to their son, and not moving into mine for a few weeks.

The house I'm moving in to is empty.

So it seems it may be a solicitor thing so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get thIs fixed. Obviously delays on the day are unavoidable, but a good plan should minimise the risk
    • Aced2016
    • By Aced2016 11th Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Aced2016
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    • 11th Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    Can you not move the next day ? If this is possible do that instead.

If not are your parents, family near by ? You could pay to hire a Luton van should be big enough. And you can have it all done on your terms for much cheaper.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Jun 17, 7:38 AM
    • 29,753 Posts
    • 17,791 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Hire a van for the day and get your mates to do it.

if you are properly planned and packed(nothing too heavy) should be a doddle for a 2 bed.

The problem will be it is too small a job if you are trying to squeeze it into an hour or 2, they can't book another job for the day.

if you are not starting moving out till 11am what time do you think your buyers will be getting keys?
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 11th Jun 17, 8:11 AM
    • 3,454 Posts
    • 18,943 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    Our removal firm arrived at 8.30am to load the van.

Drove to new place 2 miles away but didn't get keys until 4pm.

While we were waiting for the keys they unloaded all the garden stuff so we were really only sat doing nothing for about 45 minutes or so.

They finished unloading at about 7pm.

We were at the end of a pretty long chain though, which is why it took so long for all the monies to get transferred.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 11th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 2,567 Posts
    • 2,510 Thanks
    cjdavies
    What time did you ask removals to be at your house and start loading?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Jun 17, 9:14 AM
    • 15,044 Posts
    • 13,367 Thanks
    AdrianC
    For you to have the keys at 9am, the vendor would have had to have moved ALL their stuff out by 9am. Yet your removals firm are starting to load you at 11am?
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 11th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 25,934 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    There is confusion. Why would you need the keys at 9 when they are loading from your current house?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Jun 17, 10:09 AM
    • 55,145 Posts
    • 48,335 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Collected them once at 4.40. Was December. Arrived at the house to find the previous owner had removed all the lightbulbs......
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 11th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 7,000 Posts
    • 18,840 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    We got the keys about midday & arrived to find the previous owners still there! Happily doing a last pass, so there was a bit of "All the very best!" & sniffling but we got our stuff in in daylight & the children's beds sorted enough, so we counted that a success.

Um, should I mention that over a decade later I'm still working on unpacking? No - you've done this before & are Clearly More Organised. Very best of luck!
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Jun 17, 10:57 AM
    • 5,773 Posts
    • 5,528 Thanks
    davidmcn
    There is confusion. Why would you need the keys at 9 when they are loading from your current house?
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    I was also confused by that. The point at which you need keys is when you want to start unloading.

Also, is it normal these days for removal firms to quote by the hour? The only time I've used them they all seemed to be quoting for the job (and assuming they wouldn't be doing anything else that day). If they're hoping to dump your stuff and rush off to another job exactly two hours after they start then you're going to have problems, as there are all sorts of potential delays on the day.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 11th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 347 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    'Smaller' firms tend to do hour by hour. 'Larger' firms tend to offer you the chance to pay an upfront 'waiting' fee and then not have the clock running, so you're able to cope if the keys/house isn't ready.

Although they may be a little more expensive, may be worth seeking out one of these bigger firms (i.e. National chains etc) if you're genuinely concerned about the timings not working out.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 59,852 Posts
    • 350,019 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I got my keys at 10am ... but the previous owners still had a set and were still "moving" - they'd taken a van of stuff to the tip and were refused entry, so they didn't finally get away from the house until 5.30pm.

For me, coming from rented, I had a 1-2 week overlap and hadn't booked my removals until the following day as I was covering problems occurring.
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 11th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 3,466 Thanks
    jackomdj
    Our last move we had the phone call at 9:30, we have had a move where the previous owners hadn't done anything when we were ready to move in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

538Posts Today

5,707Users online

Martin's Twitter