PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Change in Circumstances Between Exchange and Completion

Hi all,

My wife and I are in slightly unusual circumstances I would love some advice on. We are looking to buy our first home (using help to buy) and have found a property we like, it is a brand new build looking to be completed in November.

Currently we both have full time jobs, I work in quality and my wife is a teacher. We have done an affordability assessment for the property we are interested in and under our current circumstances everything looks to be well within our limits :)

This is where things get tricky, my wife is now looking at either moving schools or leaving teaching at the end of the school term (August) and currently doesn't have another position lined up. This unfortunately falls between the window between the exchange (which we ideally would have done in a few weeks) and the completion which would be November. In terms of the mortgage we would be easily able to make the monthly repayments even if she was out of work but I don't know legally what impact that would have on our affordability assessment. If we could delay it we would but the builds are moving quickly and it would be a real shame to miss the opportunity.

Can I ask if anyone would know what impact this would have on our potential to put an offer on this new property and what else we would need to consider? Happy to give other information if it makes things easier :)

Many thanks,

James

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You need to declare any material changes in your circumstances.

This would be a material change.

But given thr financial consequences of having your mortgage withdraw after Exchange and before Completion I'd probably.......

How long is the time-gap?
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well that depends on your wife's contract.... I thought a teacher In a permanent position had to give a terms notice. (My sister is a teacher - but I suppose this could vary from different local authorities etc but I don't imagine it would vary by much). Giving notice just before summer doesn't give the school time to get a replacement.

I'm fairly certain giving too little notice would be bad for her reference.

What are the current options? Because if she is swapping one teaching job for another on a really similar pay scale then it's more of a moot point.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
    2357 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm fairly sure it's standard in teaching to have to give notice prior to May 31st if you want to leave at the end of Summer term. The next opportunity to end your contract is End of the Autumn term (Dec 31st) for which notice must be given by Oct 31st.
  • yoshiyella
    yoshiyella Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As others have mentioned, if she is genuinely a teacher then she has to now wait until 31st October to give notice.

Obviously if she is leaving the profession for good then what will be will be but pretty poor form to leave a school in the lurch and at such short notice.
  • Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies so far, firstly let me apologise, reading it back 'looking at' is quite an ambiguous term, she IS leaving her school in August and is yet to secure another contract.

She is currently applying for other positions but I wanted to know if in worst case scenario (that being that she is unemployed come the end of August) what impact that would have.

In terms of financial consequences whilst it would be a loss the projected mortgage and utility costs for the new property would be less than we are currently paying in rent (it's a little silly I know) and we know from previous experience that we can still live comfortably within these limits with her out of work.

I have no intention of doing anything under the table I was just curious as to what stage the lenders would get involved and whether we should continue looking or hold off until she finds another position and lose this house.

I think I have my answer but any further clarity would be very welcome :)

James
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you need to redo the affordability calculation with your wife's income at zero. Otherwise you face not being able to complete on the property. You will effectively be applying for a mortgage in October / November with only 1 income, unless your wife gets another job, and it seems quite possible that it might be turned down.

Have you exchanged on the property, if not when is the exchange scheduled?
  • Currently we have not made any moves on the house, we came very close today but held off until we had a better understanding of how the system worked. If the house was available to move into in August I don't feel we would have an issue but as the property we were interested in cannot be completed until November when the house is built we have the period between when we would have exchanged (likely in a few weeks) and the completion date in November which falls after when we could only be on one income. I will schedule another meeting with our financial advisor and get a mortgage calculation from my income alone.

Thank you again :)

James
  • mouthscradle
    mouthscradle Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    As part of the mortgage application you'll be asked whether you're aware of any expected changes in income. So you would have to declare it and I imagine lenders would assess affordability on your income alone.
    Mother, wife, scientist, analyst.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Owning a house is often a lot more expensive than renting. It isn't the mortgage repayments. They may be cheaper than your current rent but when you own a house you have to pay for everything else. Plus there are no benefits that will pay a mortgage. You might get the interest paid for a short time. It is a good idea to have enough money saved to pay the mortgage for several months if neither of you are working. It sounds as if you would be able to pay the mortgage on your own but not save enough to cover the mortgage if neither of you are working.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Unless you are earning heaps of money and would be able to to satisfy the mortgage company you are not in a position to buy until your wife gets a new job. Realistically you will now the situation in the next few weeks before schools break up in mid-July.

Another issue could be the contract your wife gets - fixed term or open ended - and how the mortgage company would view this. Did you get your mortgage via a broker? If so I would talk to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure