Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 10th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    • 1,251Posts
    • 1,312Thanks
    GotToChange
    ESA letter, includes "end" date?
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:31 AM
    ESA letter, includes "end" date? 10th Jun 17 at 11:31 AM
    Hi all -
    After a WCA on 11/5 - was told at the time that I would go to (remain) Support Group - finally got the letter of confirmation yesterday. I was not 100% sure that what she had said couldn't be changed or over-ruled somehow. Basically, nothing really changes in terms of money - although I thought that (having been advised by Healthwatch last year) I may now apply for PIP.

But, within the letter on the page that gives the breakdown of the amount/s paid, it does say that this will be paid to 30/11/17, so am now wondering if this means that there will be another assessment - which they may was well write to me now to set up as I was notified in January about the one that I just attended.

My only other thought is that the amount might change for the first week of December due to the £10 Christmas bonus (which is already mentioned in the letter) .....

Does anyone know if that date is some kind of cut-off date?

Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 812 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:37 AM
    Your other thought is correct - it's because of the Christmas bonus. Your rate will increase by £10 for a week, then go back to normal.

Give them a call if you want to know how long your award is for.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 10th Jun 17, 11:38 AM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 3,636 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:38 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:38 AM
    I've just received my ESA renewal letter and there's no end date mentioned. Just says that the increased payment due to being moved into SG will start 1st June.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:39 AM
    Hi all -
    After a WCA on 11/5 - was told at the time that I would go to (remain) Support Group - finally got the letter of confirmation yesterday. I was not 100% sure that what she had said couldn't be changed or over-ruled somehow. Basically, nothing really changes in terms of money - although I thought that (having been advised by Healthwatch last year) I may now apply for PIP.

But, within the letter on the page that gives the breakdown of the amount/s paid, it does say that this will be paid to 30/11/17, so am now wondering if this means that there will be another assessment - which they may was well write to me now to set up as I was notified in January about the one that I just attended.

My only other thought is that the amount might change for the first week of December due to the £10 Christmas bonus (which is already mentioned in the letter) .....

Does anyone know if that date is some kind of cut-off date?
    Originally posted by GotToChange
    It's probably to do with the xmas bonus. Although the letter should tell you when your end date is. If it doesn't you can ring and ask. Normally Support Group is anything up to 3 years before they assess you again but they can contact anytime.
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 10th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    GotToChange
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:44 AM
    Your other thought is correct - it's because of the Christmas bonus. Your rate will increase by £10 for a week, then go back to normal.

Originally posted by IAmWales
    OK - I thought so... I will probably ring them; the last time, there was no mention of a date of it ending, but that was "awarded" in a January.

• GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 10th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    GotToChange
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:47 AM
    It's probably to do with the xmas bonus. Although the letter should tell you when your end date is. If it doesn't you can ring and ask. Normally Support Group is anything up to 3 years before they assess you again but they can contact anytime.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Yes, that is what I thought (hoped - as it really would seem to be "too" soon, given the lead times for the assessments etc.). I do remember that it was on the actual report (last time, I don't have this one) where it said, to be reviewed in the "medium term".

I cannot remember how I got the report last time - will DWP be able to provide it?

• poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    • 10th Jun 17, 11:59 AM
    Yes, that is what I thought (hoped - as it really would seem to be "too" soon, given the lead times for the assessments etc.). I do remember that it was on the actual report (last time, I don't have this one) where it said, to be reviewed in the "medium term".

I cannot remember how I got the report last time - will DWP be able to provide it?
    Yes ring DWP for a copy of the assessment report.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 10th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 3,636 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:51 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 1:51 PM

Originally posted by IAmWales

Originally posted by poppy12345
    The Xmas bonus is paid separately. It's nothing to do with ESA payments.
    • tobykim
    • By tobykim 10th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    tobykim
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 10th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    I had a letter this morning explaining that the reason the amount of payment would change after 30/11 was due to the Christmas bonus and would revert to the normal rate after that
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 10th Jun 17, 5:11 PM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 3,636 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I had a letter this morning explaining that the reason the amount of payment would change after 30/11 was due to the Christmas bonus and would revert to the normal rate after that
    Originally posted by tobykim
    Letters are sent out at the end of November to all those who qualify for the £10 bonus and it is then paid into your account during the first week of December. It is a separate one off payment. It does not affect the rate of any of the qualifying benefits.
    • Accacia
    • By Accacia 10th Jun 17, 6:58 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Accacia
    I never received a letter from DWP about my ESA they just increased the waiting amount to an amount that showed I was in support group. I only found out anything about it when I requested my medical report (ESA85) from DWP and saw I was recommended a medium award so in theory until November 2017 though I know it could be anytime. I never got a £10 last year is this a new thing?
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 11th Jun 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2,574 Posts
    • 3,636 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    I never received a letter from DWP about my ESA they just increased the waiting amount to an amount that showed I was in support group. I only found out anything about it when I requested my medical report (ESA85) from DWP and saw I was recommended a medium award so in theory until November 2017 though I know it could be anytime. I never got a £10 last year is this a new thing?
    Originally posted by Accacia
    No, it's been around for at least 30 years, hence why it's such a ridiculously low amount. Back then you could at least by enough food and treats for Xmas dinner. Now you'd be lucky enough to be able to afford a chicken let alone a turkey!

Were you on benefits previously? It's automatically given to those on qualifying benefits.
    • Accacia
    • By Accacia 11th Jun 17, 6:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Accacia
    I've been on ESA since March 2016 and though applied for PIP in Jan 2016 I didn't get the assessment until March 2017. so at the time I was on ESA and HB/CTC. At the time the extra £10 would have made me cry as I was living on like £2 a week for food but I since borrowed money to move so I'm just paying back now. I'm not going to try and claim it just curious.
    • gbhxu
    • By gbhxu 11th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    gbhxu
    I think that the Christmas Payment is a red herring.

I think it could be when Contribution Based ESA runs out and you've then got to apply for Income Related ESA.
    • GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 11th Jun 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    GotToChange
    I've been on ESA since March 2016 and though applied for PIP in Jan 2016 I didn't get the assessment until March 2017. so at the time I was on ESA and HB/CTC. At the time the extra £10 would have made me cry as I was living on like £2 a week for food but I since borrowed money to move so I'm just paying back now. I'm not going to try and claim it just curious.
    You won't need to claim it - it is paid automatically

• GotToChange
    • By GotToChange 11th Jun 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    GotToChange
    I think that the Christmas Payment is a red herring.

I think it could be when Contribution Based ESA runs out and you've then got to apply for Income Related ESA.
    Originally posted by gbhxu
    I am already on Income-based ESA; was already receiving ESA before the assessment.

• poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    poppy12345
    ESA isn't a qualifying benefit for the xmas bonus. PIP/DLA is one of them. If you qualified last year you would have automatically got it. If you didn't get it it's because you didn't qualify.
    • Accacia
    • By Accacia 11th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Accacia
    You won't need to claim it - it is paid automatically
    I didn't get it, I went back and checked, I meant I won't go back and try and claim the one from last year, not worth rocking the boat.
    • Accacia
    • By Accacia 11th Jun 17, 8:57 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Accacia
    OH! I understand then I was on ESA but my PIP took 14 months to even get to assessment so I'd applied but wasn't on it then. Thanks!
    • tobykim
    • By tobykim 12th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    tobykim
    Letters are sent out at the end of November to all those who qualify for the £10 bonus and it is then paid into your account during the first week of December. It is a separate one off payment. It does not affect the rate of any of the qualifying benefits.
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    I've never had one, had the bonus but no letter, and neither has my husband for his pension
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,216Users online

Martin's Twitter