Bank loan for Property repairs and Overdraft repayment?

Options
konn1ch1ha
konn1ch1ha Posts: 239 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a bank loan to pay for my share of building repairs on my property (share ownership), just north of £2k. On top of that, as I've been in my overdraft (£2,750) for some time, I'd like to get out of that.

Would it be wise to borrow around £5k to consolidate all of this and pay it off on a seven year repayment plan to keep the monthly outgoings down? Or just borrow the necessary amount on the repairs only? I'm looking maybe to redecorate my studio flat to gain more rental income (new kitchen, carpet etc etc.).

Please, no sanctimonious responses. I appreciate helpful contributions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Candyapple
    Options
    Thanks Pixie, wow I remember this one.
    konn1ch1ha wrote: »
    You make a valid point but living in Brighton is just not feasible. I don't only teach, I play gigs, rehearse - all in the London area. It's just a very bad time financially for me at the moment and it will get better come the following months because that's when I have much more work booked in.

Four months after you posted the above - did your work pick up then?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • konn1ch1ha
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Thanks Pixie, wow I remember this one.

Four months after you posted the above - did your work pick up then?

Why do people on here find it entertaining to patronise someone asking for advice? Yes, work did pick up - albeit, I still need a loan, and whether it's worth getting a loan to eliminate my overdraft.

Thanks for the links earlier.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you found a lender that's a) willing to lend you money and b) lend you money at a half decent rate? If the answers to a and b are both no, you're question about consolidating is moot. Although your question about consolidation has already been answered in a previous thread. Just like you've already been given the links that Candyapple has posted.
  • konn1ch1ha
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Have you found a lender that's a) willing to lend you money and b) lend you money at a half decent rate? If the answers to a and b are both no, you're question about consolidating is moot. Although your question about consolidation has already been answered in a previous thread. Just like you've already been given the links that Candyapple has posted.

a) Yes

b) No (Lloyds is 21% approx APR) if I borrow the above mentioned. If I borrow the £2K for the repairs, then it's a less harsh repayment, obviously. This is why I'm asking if it's worth borrowing enough to get out of the overdraft and/or have enough for further home improvements.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 June 2017 at 12:52PM
    Options
    How much is your overdraft costing you?

Edit: Just borrowing £2k over 84 months at a rate of 21% APR means you will end up repaying £3,832.45
  • konn1ch1ha
    Options

Edit: Just borrowing £2k over 84 months at a rate of 21% APR means you will end up repaying £3,832.45

It depends how much I'm in the overdraft - maxed out it's about £50pm (od usage is £6pm + whatever interest/how deep I am in it).
  • Candyapple
    Options

Madness!!

OP if you are only looking to borrow £2k, what did the eligibility checker say your chances were for any money transfer cards?

Would it not be easier to tackle your overdraft by organising a budget and sticking to it, that way every month any excess funds left over are to remain in your bank account to help clear your overdraft?

Repaying a loan of £2k over 7 years is crazy, especially at those rates.

Edit: Have you tried applying for the Nationwide account with 0% overdraft?
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#overdrawn
  • konn1ch1ha
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Madness!!

OP if you are only looking to borrow £2k, what did the eligibility checker say your chances were for any money transfer cards?

Would it not be easier to tackle your overdraft by organising a budget and sticking to it, that way every month any excess funds left over are to remain in your bank account to help clear your overdraft?

Repaying a loan of £2k over 7 years is crazy, especially at those rates.

Edit: Have you tried applying for the Nationwide account with 0% overdraft?
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#overdrawn

It's a good plan making a budget, which I intend on doing. But it does boil down to a £2k bill I have to make for repairs on my property, which I'm trying to find the best deal. Everything else is luxury and not necessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure