Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KobeAlt
    • By KobeAlt 9th Jun 17, 1:11 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    KobeAlt
    Should I appeal or pay up?
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:11 AM
    Should I appeal or pay up? 9th Jun 17 at 1:11 AM
    Hi,

I received my first parking ticket.

There was construction going at Walthamstow station car park and hence there was limited parking space. I saw a number of cars (about 10) parallel parked next to the rails. I saw one space left and obviously grabbed it.

When I returned I found a parking ticket on my windscreen (as did everybody else) by NCP for not having parked in a bay. Seems a bit unfair since at the time everyone was parked up and it looked like a it was fine to park there. I don't know if I have a leg to stand on as I technically was parked in a spot where there was no parking bay.

Im almost at the 14 day mark so it would be great to know..Is it worth me appealing or should I pay?

These are just 2 of the images NCP provided.
    imgur.com/17Guu7y
    imgur.com/V3wKqla

Thanks
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Jun 17, 1:32 AM
    • 7,124 Posts
    • 7,136 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:32 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:32 AM
    Don't get reeled-in by the fourteen day "discount" - that's there for the complete mugs.

Start by reading the Newbies Sticky carefully to inform yourself properly and see the options for seeing this-off.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Jun 17, 9:29 AM
    • 6,575 Posts
    • 5,516 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:29 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:29 AM
    Of course you should appeal, all PPC sare scammers, and, in a very large number if cases, have no right to demand a penny.

As for legs on which to stand, you have several, timeliness, contract, standing, compliance, and signage to name a few. It is not painting by numbers, but not brain surgery either, and you will be expected to put in some hours reading.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 9th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 39,201 Posts
    • 78,316 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    As this was a station the chances are that byelaws apply. If that is the case then the scammers are stuffed.

Start by sending the BPA template in blue from the NEWBIES thread as keeper around day 26. You could carefully add, without revealing the driver's identity that since byelaws apply, this is non relevant land as far as the POFA 2012 is concerned so neither the driver or keeper can be held liable. Consequently the scammers have no chance of success at PoPLA, so they should cut their losses and cancel now.
    Just make sure you don't reveal the identity of the vehicle owner, who as far as anyone is concerned is neither the driver or keeper.
    Although it is not as critical where byelaws apply, it is good practice never to identify the driver where private parking charges are concerned.

Byelaws are statute barred after six months so you need to drag this out slowly and carefully by only appealing as late as possible to the scammers, then to PoPLA.

This is all explained in the NEWBIES., but make sure byelaws apply first. Even if they don't, you will have several other appeal points at PoPLA.
    Last edited by Fruitcake; 09-06-2017 at 9:46 AM.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 1,732 Thanks
    waamo
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 9th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    Pay up? What kind of madness is that?
    This space for hire.
    • KobeAlt
    • By KobeAlt 9th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KobeAlt
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    Thank you for your replies. I will appeal. Very unfair since I had paid the initial charge to park in the car park in the first place!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Jun 17, 7:18 PM
    • 46,832 Posts
    • 60,141 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:18 PM
    • 9th Jun 17, 7:18 PM
    Yes but you won't be saying that, because the NEWBIES thread tells you not to say who was driving.
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter