IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Received N1 claim form from Private Parking Solutions

Options
Hey guys, hope someone can help me. I've read through the NEWBIES thread and done the AOS on the MCOL website. I just need help with the defence part of the claim.

I received a ticket on my car on Feb 2016 for parking on private land. I didn't see the sign as it was placed high up on a wall and wasn't even illuminated. I wouldn't have parked there if I knew it was private as there were plenty other free bays in the surrounding areas.

After receiving the fine, I ignored all the letters which came (my mistake) after reading through online posts. I now have a small claim against me and don't have any of the letters which were sent to me or even images of the incident. I called up Private Parking Solutions to try and gain images of the incident and they refused and told me my case had been passed onto Debt Recovery Plus and I should contact them instead.

Should I just pay the £250 sum or do I still have a case to defend?

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    you have a case to defend , everyone does

draft up your own defence based on other defences on here and post it for critique

so read and digest post #2 of that NEWBIES thread you have read

and edit your post to remove any hint of who was driving
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Private Parking Solutions (London) Ltd?

They've little track record of court claims, 8 last year, 7 so far this year. Hardly serial litigators.

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Private_Parking_Solutions_London.html

So concentrate on hitting them with a robust defence and you might just find, like any bully you smack hard on the nose, they might just turn tail and run away.

But, if not, you can win this. Forum court experts will help you once you've put up your draft defence.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looks like they've handed their back catalogue onto Gladstones to ambulance chase. Usually a sign either they (or Gladstones) are going out of business.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm still going to object to the term 'ambulance chase' which does the injured (and many of their lawyers) a disservice...

That said, it is clear that Gladstones issue proceedings in a number of unmeritorious claims without undertaking any review of the evidence and, ostensibly, upon request. It is why the Particulars of Claim are usually so poor.

Even were you to lose at Court (and there's a good chance it won't come to that) the Court almost certainly will not uphold the inflated £250+ charges now claimed.

Take a template defence, adapt it for your circumstances, repost possibly using Dropbox to display any lengthy docs) and someone will propose any tweaks ahead of filing the documents at court.

A note on costs: you, too, can claim costs if successful. Keep a note of letters written and time spent in defending the claim. If successful at a hearing and with a properly costed schedule you will be able to recover a notional value for your time.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    I'm still going to object to the term 'ambulance chase' which does the injured (and many of their lawyers) a disservice...

It is a perfectly valid expression. Unfortunately, the high incidence of spurious whiplash claims has made it so.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »

It is a perfectly valid expression. Unfortunately, the high incidence of spurious whiplash claims has made it so.
    And now the new scam of false foreign holiday hotel claims where the claims-company reps are even waiting outside the hotels to persuade people to make false claims against the hotel for supposed food poisoning and other "wrongs".
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fraud does exist in many walks of life, but as I say, it is a disservice to collectively group genuinely injured with those that are engaged in fraud.

In the same way that it would be unfair to compare parking ticket debt recovery with other forms of debt recovery.

In any case, best we get back on topic.....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Whether "ambulance chase" is a pejorative term or not depends not on your knowledge of the wide range of cases that come to the County Court but on your experience of dealing with the specific claims you see coming out of Gladstones.

So happy to confirm that the qualified legal people both here and at Pepipoo are warmly welcomed as a way of balancing the perceived view that Gladstones are ambulance chasers.

It is also a matter of court record that Will Hurley (ex-Gladstones) was accused of perversion of the course of justice. Such a case is not taken on lightly by the CPS.

http://www.winsfordguardian.co.uk/news/9031620.Solicitor_speaks_out_after_court_ordeal/
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    And now the new scam of false foreign holiday hotel claims where the claims-company reps are even waiting outside the hotels to persuade people to make false claims against the hotel for supposed food poisoning and other "wrongs".

Imagine lying to bring a court claim...only absolute scum need apply.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • twiggy95
    twiggy95 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice but do you know where I can find a template defence as I have never written one before.

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport