Part time work and University

Hi,
So I currently work in a supermarket part time whilst I'm at university. I do 10 hours a week on checkouts spread across a Saturday daytime and Monday evening. I've basically been doing everyday though since I've broken up for university and doing exams, so I'm doing more overtime than my actual contracted hours, which is fine when I want to but over the previous summer I literally worked every day, and it kinda got to me, money was good but I had like no time to myself! Now I've transferred to a new store since I've been at uni, and it's coming to the time again where it feels like they are going to be asking me to come in every day! But this time it's worse, it's not just down the road, I'll be doing a 45 minute drive to work and back every day, so at least an hour and a half of driving a day. I chose to do this as it's only 3 months before I'm back to my accommodation and it saves me transferring and going though all the hassle again. In theory I don't mind doing this say, a max of 5 days a week, then I get two to myself at least. But I know exactly what will happen and I'm going to be working literally every day. The worst part is they genuinely have no one else to cover it as now I'm on the customer service desk and it's only a team of 8 people! What do I do? I don't want to quit, I just want to be working a decent amount of hours a week, but also have free time. I've been seeing a girl as well just to really make it worse, and she doesn't go to university and works full time instead, but if I'm working everyday I will never get any time to see her, which I would like to do really. For example when I say "no I can't do any overtime" baring in mind, im in twice for my contracted hours, and already doing like 2/3 extra days as overtime they ask why, and I dont really have an excuse, I just want some free time really which is kinda understandable? I think they're understaffed and they talked about offering me say like 26 hours a week on contact and then dropping them when I go back to uni, not too sure on this idea as I won't know my timetable until September and I may end up loosing most of my hours since I'd have took these 26 hours in the day, got to uni and can't do them, which will leave me with like 1 day of work for 6 hours a week if I'm lucky! I understand this is long and a bit of weird question, but does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks 🙂

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Learn to say "I'm sorry I can't do those shifts." Maybe practise in front of the mirror. You don't have to say why: you're not contracted to them.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Like Savvy_Sue says, learn to say no!

You don't have to give any reason, just say 'Sorry I can't work Sunday/Saturday etc)'.
    :p
  • Robert8x
    Robert8x Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi, Thanks for both of the replies. I will try but they always seem to ask why, which is annoying. Just in the group chat im in, they asked if anyone can do any extra hours next week, everyone read it but no one responded. Now i promise they will beg me as they have literally no one else :/
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    "I plan to be incredibly drunk that day"
    "I'm playing football"
    "I'm going to be in my boxers, on the sofa, playing Xbox"
    I mean it really doesn't matter why you cant. You just cant.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    No sorry, I have plans that day
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    You have other responsibilities. You need to study (and relax!) Just say you cannot do more shifts. Are you clear in your own mind about what the max number of hours you can work each week, and feel comfortable, is? If not, I suggest you work this out, then you may be less tempted by the money being dangled in front of your eyes.....
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Robert8x
    First Anniversary
    Ill try some of these responses, see how they go. And realistically no more than 25/30 hours a week. I mean if i want to do all week, which occasionally i do, ill ask for the overtime, i just hate when they keep asking, if i want to do it, ill ask or let them know etc. Like a few weeks ago, I had uni all week but no uni the next, I said the week with no uni i didnt mind working every day as i needed some extra money for my car insurance, so i went to the checkout and customer service rotas and put my name down for every day! I thought this was a fair way to go about it? yet the week after i wanted to do a few less days as i wanted some revision time, but they just begged and begged for more shifts knowing id finished uni
  • Robert8x
    First Anniversary
    Also the other issue is, the supermarket i work for, begins with a T ;) their contracts are these flexi ones, which means you fill out available hours and technically they can call you in whenever they want. Obviously things like free time is different every week, so am i breaching my contract by putting my available hours to something based of my uni timetable, so like i can work some evenings and any day weekend? But obviously im in the holidays now so technically my availability is every day?
  • Robert8x
    First Anniversary
    I mean i didnt even want a flexi one, but its the only part time contracts they offer! it always seems to be flexi when they want not when you want :/
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Sounds like I dodged a bullet not getting a job there!
    You just need to keep saying no. I can't believe they have no one else to cover, even if they don't that isn't your problem. Just say no you can't do it and ignore all further messages begging you to work.
    I'd consider finding a job elsewhere where the hours are more stable and you don't have to do 7 days a week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure