Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LastbutFast
    • By LastbutFast 19th May 17, 9:44 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 8Thanks
    LastbutFast
    Transfering a maturing cah isa to Vanguard Life strategy
    • 19th May 17, 9:44 AM
    Transfering a maturing cah isa to Vanguard Life strategy 19th May 17 at 9:44 AM
    Some advice please. I'm a complete newbie to investing in S&S, so gently pls. I have exhausted all my options for cash in terms of high interest current accts, regular savers, ns&i etc and due to abysmal returns on offer for cash isas are ready to accept some moderate risk via a S&S isa in terms of growth,rather than income, over the next 10 years. I'm retired and living comfortably on my pensions. I'm thinking of transferring a soon to mature cash isa into Vanguard Lifestrategy 60 but am unsure how to actually do this. I'm aware options may include directly with Vanguard or perhaps Halifax share dealing and would prefer to limit the costs of such investment. The latter may be my better option as I do not intend to make many, if any further transactions this year. I guess I'm looking for the idiot's guide through the process of application and transfer without loss of the isa wrapper. Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
Page 1
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 19th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 3,579 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 19th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:51 AM
    As regards the transfer process it's the same as a cash ISA transfer. Contact the new ISA provider and give them details of the old ISA and they will do the rest
    • LastbutFast
    • By LastbutFast 19th May 17, 9:58 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LastbutFast
    • 19th May 17, 9:58 AM
    • 19th May 17, 9:58 AM
    Thanks. I thought that may be the case but couldn't see how to do that on the Halifax sharedealing website. Do I get that info from Halifax if I apply for the S&S isa option, do you know?
    • Linton
    • By Linton 19th May 17, 10:04 AM
    • 8,496 Posts
    • 8,445 Thanks
    Linton
    • 19th May 17, 10:04 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:04 AM
    The info is on the Halifax web site - see here.
    • LastbutFast
    • By LastbutFast 19th May 17, 10:10 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LastbutFast
    • 19th May 17, 10:10 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:10 AM
    Thanks Linton. I must have had a little senior moment this morning to have missed that. I just think Halifax may be more economical for me regarding the circumstances I've described.
    • LastbutFast
    • By LastbutFast 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LastbutFast
    • 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 19th May 17, 10:29 AM
    Just managed to get online chat with Halifax and have posted it for anyone else who is in doubt. "You will need to apply for an ISA account, once open you can fill in a transfer request from the list of options on the right hand side of the welcome screen (when signed in). Once completed you will need to print off the form to sign and send in, if you include a cover note explaining when the ISA matures we will request the money then . Once the money is in the ISA you will beable to place the order. The money will remain in the ISA wrapper."
    Thanks again to those of you who provided advice.
    • Fatbritabroad
    • By Fatbritabroad 19th May 17, 1:42 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Fatbritabroad
    • 19th May 17, 1:42 PM
    • 19th May 17, 1:42 PM
    You can also do an isa direct with vanguard now see recent thread
    • badger09
    • By badger09 19th May 17, 5:47 PM
    • 5,425 Posts
    • 4,662 Thanks
    badger09
    • 19th May 17, 5:47 PM
    • 19th May 17, 5:47 PM
    Just managed to get online chat with Halifax and have posted it for anyone else who is in doubt. "You will need to apply for an ISA account, once open you can fill in a transfer request from the list of options on the right hand side of the welcome screen (when signed in). Once completed you will need to print off the form to sign and send in, if you include a cover note explaining when the ISA matures we will request the money then . Once the money is in the ISA you will beable to place the order. The money will remain in the ISA wrapper."
    Thanks again to those of you who provided advice.
    Originally posted by LastbutFast
    LastbutFast

Please also look at IWEB, which and others are using.

Its part of Halifax and is very easy to use. £25 account opening fee, then £5 each time you buy & sell funds (like Vanguard Lifestrategy) and no annual charge.

I think Halifax charges £12.50 a year and £12.50 each time you buy/sell but please check!
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 19th May 17, 6:08 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 19th May 17, 6:08 PM
    • 19th May 17, 6:08 PM
    I agree with your choice of Halifax Share Dealing as the best option. Hard to beat their fees if you are not planning to do much trading.
    • LastbutFast
    • By LastbutFast 19th May 17, 6:09 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LastbutFast
    Thanks Badger, I will definitely give iweb a look.
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 19th May 17, 10:09 PM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    I agree with your choice of Halifax Share Dealing as the best option. Hard to beat their fees if you are not planning to do much trading.
    Originally posted by Audaxer
    £12.50? X-O is £5.95.
    Edit - link to best buy page on this website: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/cheap-online-sharedealing
    Last edited by Glen Clark; 19-05-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added web link
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
    • Sean473
    • By Sean473 20th May 17, 12:44 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Sean473
    You can also do an isa direct with vanguard now see recent thread
    Originally posted by Fatbritabroad
    Agreed... No better way then to go direct!
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 20th May 17, 12:53 AM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 2,944 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    Originally posted by Sean473
    You pay up to £375 per year going direct, £12.50 a year plus £12.50 per transaction with Halifax, £25 opening fee, £zero per year and £5 per transaction with Iweb. Vanguard are the expensive option for most.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 20th May 17, 8:40 AM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    Originally posted by Sean473
    Not necessarily
    It can be more expensive to buy a car direct from the car manufacturer's website than through a dealer for example. Manufacturers won't undercut dealers because they want them to keep selling their cars!
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
    • LastbutFast
    • By LastbutFast 20th May 17, 9:41 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    LastbutFast
    Thanks for the heads-up about X-O. I guess at this stage of being a newbie with limited knowledge, after looking around their site, I lack the confidence to take this route presently and will probably go with IWEB. I might wish to add funds later in the year and their £5 fee for doing so seems reasonable.
    • cashbackproblems
    • By cashbackproblems 20th May 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    cashbackproblems
    Vanguard direct are by far the cheapest and im in process of transferring my hl account to them, x-o dont offer funds like shares
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 20th May 17, 11:13 PM
    • 3,889 Posts
    • 2,896 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    x-o dont offer funds like shares
    Originally posted by cashbackproblems
    I have Exchange Traded Funds (ETF) in x-o with annual charges from 0.05% (thats HSBC Euro 50 shares in Europe's 50 biggest companies). £5.95 to trade, low spreads, no stamp duty, no platform charges. Jarvis plc (owner of x-o) do the sharedealing services for Nationwide and Yorkshire Building Societies - my first account was certificated trading through them, before I opened an online account with x-o.
    Cheapest I have heard of is www.degiro.co.uk at £1.75 for shares, ETFs free . They are not a 'Best Buy' here though - perhaps because they are not part of the UK guarantee scheme but the Netherland's scheme - so you would have to go to the Netherlands to get your cash back if they went bust. Also heard a lot of complaints about their website - but that was years ago so might have been teething problems when they were setting it up.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 21st May 17, 12:10 AM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 7,012 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Vanguard direct are by far the cheapest and im in process of transferring my hl account to them, x-o dont offer funds like shares
    Originally posted by cashbackproblems
    iWeb, Halifax share dealing, interactive investor, there are many options cheaper than the new vanguard offering with a full range of provider funds with a reasonable sum to invest.
    • G4OJR
    • By G4OJR 21st May 17, 6:45 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    G4OJR
    Is anyone able to comment on the range of funds offered by iWeb and x-o?, as opposed to listed shares? That info isn't available without opening an account thanks
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 21st May 17, 7:43 PM
    • 3,579 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    ColdIron
    X-O don't provide funds, does that help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter