Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maxthepolarbear
    • By maxthepolarbear 18th May 17, 3:54 PM
    • 45Posts
    • 3Thanks
    maxthepolarbear
    Seller solicitor non-responsive
    • 18th May 17, 3:54 PM
    Seller solicitor non-responsive 18th May 17 at 3:54 PM
    Background:
    I have reserved and paid a reservation fee for a parking space early this year. This parking is being sold by a developer, from whom I also bought a new build flat two years ago (but I didn’t buy the parking space then as there were no parking spaces available). The parking space is in a different block of building in the same development. There was no exchange of contract – the transaction involves paying the reservation fee (which I have done) and the balance amount on completion.

I have been told by the developer’s estate agent at the time of reservation that completion would be on notice and that the expected completion date would be in May. The estate agent has now told me that the parking spaces are ready. However my solicitor has informed me that they had not received any paper work from the developer’s solicitor and had not heard anything from them despite constant chasing. Some of the people have already completed their purchase of the parking spaces.

I am anxious to complete as soon as possible. But the developer’s solicitor has so far been unresponsive to my solicitor. Is there anything I could do to speed things up, e.g. by calling the developer’s solicitor myself etc?

Thanks a lot.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 18th May 17, 4:15 PM
    • 5,617 Posts
    • 5,386 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 18th May 17, 4:15 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:15 PM
    The developer's solicitor isn't allowed to speak to another solicitor's client, so calling them directly is just going to irritate them if anything. If it's being sold via an estate agent then hassle the agent.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 18th May 17, 6:05 PM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 18th May 17, 6:05 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:05 PM
    It sounds as if the estate agent might have jumped the gun telling you the space was ready. Go back to him and get clarification and explain that you're trying to proceed but haven't been able to. Are you sure the seller isn't waiting for something? Solicitors don't respond to 'chasing.' If they've asked your solicitor for something eg a piece of paper, they will sit and wait until it is supplied without any further communication. The EA ought to be able to speak to both solicitors and establish where the problem lies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,520Posts Today

9,129Users online

Martin's Twitter