Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 17th May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 342Posts
    • 96Thanks
    tightasagnats
    House Walls Repointing and Tying
    • 17th May 17, 9:45 PM
    House Walls Repointing and Tying 17th May 17 at 9:45 PM
    Building surveyor today on house I'm buying (Victorian end of terrace) suggested re-pointing entire side wall, and also rebuild chimney stack and tying wall as it's bulging somewhat.

I've seen repointing priced at around £60 per m sq, and I wonder if while the scaffolding is up, get the chimney and ties done. Any idea of cost?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 17th May 17, 11:54 PM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 17th May 17, 11:54 PM
    • 17th May 17, 11:54 PM
    Scaffolding is going to be a significant cost, so it would make sense to do everything up there at the same time.

As this is a Victorian property, it is most likely to be constructed with lime mortar rather than the modern portland cement - Do yourself (and the building) a favour and use lime mortar for the repointing. Cement pointing will crack and fall out in the next 20-30 years, but lime will last another 100. It is also much easier to rake out lime than it is cement.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 18th May 17, 8:40 AM
    • 342 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    • 18th May 17, 8:40 AM
    • 18th May 17, 8:40 AM
    Thank you. I've heard that often about lime mortar. The surveyor suggested that someone has bodged some repointing previously.
    • JigglyPug
    • By JigglyPug 18th May 17, 4:13 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    JigglyPug
    • 18th May 17, 4:13 PM
    • 18th May 17, 4:13 PM
    I can't help with all the jobs but i've just had a quote for rebuilding a damaged chimney stack on a terraced house in the Midlands for £1200 inc. VAT. It might be more expensive depending on where you live in the UK!
    • JuzaMum
    • By JuzaMum 18th May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    JuzaMum
    • 18th May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 18th May 17, 9:27 PM
    I agree it is best to get it all done at once if possible. Do you want to keep the chimneys? My house had one chimney removed before we bought it. This meant we were able to remove the chimney breast in bedroom 1 and the dining room adding a lot of useful space.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,477Posts Today

7,085Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin