Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Somerset Sue
    • By Somerset Sue 17th May 17, 5:14 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Somerset Sue
    Several name changes, lost paperwork, any chance?
    • #1
    • 17th May 17, 5:14 PM
    Several name changes, lost paperwork, any chance? 17th May 17 at 5:14 PM
    Pretty sure I've not had any PPI since 2002 but prior to that I had mortgages, loans, credit accounts etc. I've changed my name several times due to divorce, remarriage etc and long lost any paperwork. I've not even much idea who I banked with back then, had accounts with or dates.

    Is there any chance of finding out if I had PPI? It wouldn't have been by choice as I was a civil servant and if off work for sickness I would have had my salary paid in whole or part for 12 months. I'm totally at a loss where to start!
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 18th May 17, 7:10 AM
    • 7,394 Posts
    • 5,444 Thanks
    • #2
    • 18th May 17, 7:10 AM
    • #2
    • 18th May 17, 7:10 AM
    If you can't remember, no-one else will be able to.
    • sun73
    • By sun73 18th May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    • #3
    • 18th May 17, 9:45 PM
    • #3
    • 18th May 17, 9:45 PM
    You could start by making a list of all the lenders and credit accounts you might have taken out before 2002 and phone their individual customer services or dedicated PPI helplines to see if they hold any records about you. Telephone numbers are published on their websites.

    I found that old current account statements were a good source of information via direct debits, dates, amounts, loan reference numbers and provided proof of payment.

    Ask them to check their systems under your previous surnames and addresses because its essential to locate the account numbers for older PPI products.

    Sometimes it helps to send a Subject Access Request to a lender for a more in depth search of their archives which costs £10. There's an excellent template on this forum.

    If you find evidence that you paid PPI, you can download the FOS complaint form on the internet and submit the reasons why you believe it was mis-sold, e.g. in the case of unsecured personal loans it could be single upfront PPI premium. Hope this helps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,204Posts Today

7,904Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Early days, but very strong result so far - 84% of people in favour of cannabis legalisation for at least medical u?

  • Today's twitter poll: Should cannabis be legalised for recreational use, medical use, or not at all? It has been?

  • RT @scepticallyopen: Many ombudsman services are ?so ineffective they should be stripped of their right to use the title?. ?Those that ful?

  • Follow Martin