Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 11th May 17, 10:36 AM
    • 283Posts
    • 48Thanks
    cashmonger
    Where to get rid of old computer
    • 11th May 17, 10:36 AM
    Where to get rid of old computer 11th May 17 at 10:36 AM
    I forgot I have an old amd3200 computer in the other room which I never use so it would be good to get rid of it rather than move with it.

It took my mum like 6 months to find someone to take her old computer but then that might have been to do with her living in a very rural area.

I would prefer it found some functional use rather than just being scrapped.
    Last edited by cashmonger; 11-05-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Page 2
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 2nd Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I bought a second hand hard drive from CeX just before Christmas, ran Recuva, and within minutes I had restored all the data from the drive. Luckily it was just someone's music collection and no sensitive personal info or documents.

If you really must sell on or give away a hard drive, make sure you properly format it with DBAN or similar. The quick format option in Windows will simply not do.
    • googler
    • By googler 2nd Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 9,412 Thanks
    googler
    Ignore all the advice about destroying the hard drive, and just take it out of the machine and keep it.

There's no need to destroy a perfectly functional drive. It's wasteful, if nothing else.
    • Markyboyuk
    • By Markyboyuk 8th Jan 18, 2:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Markyboyuk
    Hoarder
    Intel you what you can hang onto old bikes as well for the hope they will fit another bike eventually. There is no point in hoarding bits a pieces unless you run a sum kind of scrap shop. Just get shot of the computer the likelihood of Mr average ever using a hard drive from a old broken computer is pretty slim. Just dispose of it correctly as Leeuk has pointed put how easy it is to pull off info from an incorrectly disposed of hard drive.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 8th Jan 18, 3:05 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Stoke
    Dban.

Bye bye personal data.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 8th Jan 18, 3:06 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Stoke
    I bought a second hand hard drive from CeX just before Christmas, ran Recuva, and within minutes I had restored all the data from the drive. Luckily it was just someone's music collection and no sensitive personal info or documents.

If you really must sell on or give away a hard drive, make sure you properly format it with DBAN or similar. The quick format option in Windows will simply not do.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Why were you doing that? I mean, we both know how to do it and how easy it is, but why would you want to do that? What made you think to recover someone's files? It's shady, at best.
    • Lincoln Imp
    • By Lincoln Imp 8th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 2,368 Posts
    • 4,137 Thanks
    Lincoln Imp
    Our local council run skip takes them ,Just take HD out first
    Have a nice day
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Jan 18, 10:28 PM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Why were you doing that? I mean, we both know how to do it and how easy it is, but why would you want to do that? What made you think to recover someone's files? It's shady, at best.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    1. I wanted to know the history of the drive before I put it into production.
    2. I'm a shady person.

Don't worry, I deleted the music collection afterwards as it wasn't to my tastes.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 9th Jan 18, 10:17 AM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    Stoke
    1. I wanted to know the history of the drive before I put it into production.
    2. I'm a shady person.

Don't worry, I deleted the music collection afterwards as it wasn't to my tastes.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    That's a pretty weak excuse. But anyway.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 9th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    LeeUK
    That's a pretty weak excuse. But anyway.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    I wanted to know if the previous owner had a penchant for the darker side of life before the police seize my PC.

Even if it did have someone's credit card details on, I'm not a criminal and wouldn't have been dipping myself into the world of ID fraud.

Drive is zero wiped now and is in production in one of my file servers.
    Last edited by LeeUK; 09-01-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 10th Jan 18, 9:15 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    pmartin86
    Based on some of the replies on this thread about the destructions of hard drives I imagine lots pf people with incinerators in their gardens, shredding, burning all their mail and correspondance and splitting the ashes into seprate piles to disposed of in all corners of the world...for securety reasons of course...
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 10th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 1,115 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    It could be refurbished by a reputable company and sold on once they've removed all your data and repaired any faults.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 10th Jan 18, 10:34 AM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Ignore all the advice about destroying the hard drive, and just take it out of the machine and keep it.

There's no need to destroy a perfectly functional drive. It's wasteful, if nothing else.
    Originally posted by googler
    +1 this.

Hard drives are useful and the more you have the better as they are great for backups. You can never have too many backups of your data.

What's the saying... "if your data doesn't exist in 3 places it doesn't exist at all."
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 10th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 9,930 Posts
    • 7,394 Thanks
    GunJack
    +2

Alternatively, if you want to give it as a working machine, either wipe the hdd and reinstall the OS, or delete all personal data (and empty recycle bin ) and use CCleaner's Wipe Free Space utility...I've used this before and you can't recover anything after a couple of runs of it....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • were
    • By were 10th Jan 18, 11:59 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 353 Thanks
    were
    you could make it into a extremely good router with the free pfSense software. A commercial equivalent possible would cost many hundreds to buy anything that could come close.

Possibly with a little tweeking you could make it into a router and a nas box?
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 11th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    Format the drive, re-install Windows, put it on Freegle (Freecycle). Job done.
    • cashmonger
    • By cashmonger 15th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    cashmonger
    You guys have still been giving suggestions when I moved out of that place over 6 months ago and got rid of it at the time :P.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Jan 18, 12:09 AM
    • 19,114 Posts
    • 10,294 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    You guys have still been giving suggestions when I moved out of that place over 6 months ago and got rid of it at the time :P.
    Originally posted by cashmonger
    Yes, this thread has been resurrected twice since then. Obviously nobody responding recently has taken any note of the date you originally posted!

Out-of-interest, what method of disposal did you actually use?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,039Posts Today

8,294Users online

Martin's Twitter