Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 8
    • CharleyYpres
    • By CharleyYpres 9th Nov 17, 3:41 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 2,915 Thanks
    CharleyYpres
    How is everyones festive planning??? I think I will sticky this so it's easy to find

I need to buy a new tree - any ideas???

Zip
    Originally posted by zippychick
    I've never bought from there before, but I saw some beautiful artificial trees in B&Q yesterday. Their Xmas range is really nice!

Festive planning: I'm almost done Xmas shopping. I got into the habit of starting early when I was in uni and reliant on my student loan and small income. This is mine and my husband's first year as a married couple and first year spending Xmas together (we started as a long distance couple so I've always gone home over the festive period), so I'm really excited about this year
    2016 winnings: £983.09
    Good luck everyone
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Nov 17, 4:01 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    nannywindow
    CharleyY . Thanks for the idea of B&Q. Hadn't thought of there, so will have a look tomorrow.
    I'm looking for a new tree too as ours is now getting too big and heavy to lug up and down the stairs, even for the two of us. Mind you it's about 25yrs old and starting to look a bit tatty ! Saw some lovely ones in the garden centre but they were very expensive.
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 9th Nov 17, 7:17 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I bought a beautiful tree from B&Q it was expensive but we have had it for 10 years and it’s still going strong and looks beautiful!

I’ve got some presents for the kids and have everything organised on a spread sheet so I’m on track at least!

Struggling with MIL this year but sure we will think of something!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 10th Nov 17, 4:45 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 4,141 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    This weekend has started so I don't count it.

Only 2 weekends until our local church advent service!
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 10th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Advent calendars bought - kids nearly done - we are getting there!!!
    P.A.D challenge 2017
    £2 savings challenge
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Nov 17, 10:06 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    nannywindow
    DGS presents collected today so both DGC done! Must sort out DD birthday presents next, but getting there slowly.
    • FrugalWeirdo83
    • By FrugalWeirdo83 11th Nov 17, 7:01 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    FrugalWeirdo83
    I have made a Christmas cake, I usually skip the icing part but think I may be brave this year. Can anyone advise the cheapest place to buy fondant icing and marzipan
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Nov 17, 2:42 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    we're getting closer to christmas so I've stickied this to make the index easy to find. Fantastic links to resource in first couple of posts

kind regards
    Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 17th Nov 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 34,136 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Thanks Zippy
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 18th Nov 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,027 Posts
    • 23,158 Thanks
    MMF007
    I have been commissioned to make a batch of lemon marmalde for a friend to give as presents. I suggested adding a cello bag of HM bickies and packing one jar n one bag of bickies in a cheap basket, then some shred and finish with cello pulled up at the top. Well I found some plastic 'baskets' that are just the right size at 2 for £1 (poundland), and I raided my stash and found a box of jar fancies (ie pretty papers for over the lid, labels for jars and little HM tags*), and several meters of lovely multi-coloured string to tie the cello at the top of the basket.
    Ooh, I love making things and finishing off with a pretty presentation
    * I actually bought this pack ages ago because they were reduced to clear and were cheaper than I could make them for!

I'll get all the pleasure of making, and none of the expense!

Next job is making flavoured vodka. This year I may try ginger syrup and grapefruit. I am not sure about the grapefruit (have used lime before) so will make a small test batch and shall just have to taste it - it's a hard job but someone has to do it
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 18th Nov 17, 7:33 PM
    • 448 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    nannywindow
    CharleyY many thanks for the tip of getting a tree from B&Q. They had just what we wanted and it was seniors day, so 10% off too .
    Think I have finished the DGC presents now and we shall be going this week to Tes*o, as I want to spend my vouchers and get the Xmas goodies . Then there's only the fresh food to get Xmas week. The Xmas cakes are made and being fed with brandy every week and I will marzipan and ice them in the week before the "Big Day".
    • caronc
    • By caronc 24th Nov 17, 8:07 PM
    • 2,757 Posts
    • 17,810 Thanks
    caronc
    I've done a fair bit of both food & present shopping but I must strain and finish the bramble vodka I started a couple of months ago. Still got the my kids (adult) to buy for but I'm waiting see what my younger son needs for his new flat and if the elder has anything on his "wish list". Food shopping now will be mainly fresh stuff & the butchers order. I've a houseful for two weeks over the festive period which will be lovely but I'll need plenty of provisions so I've being buying things if they are on SO in the run up.
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 25th Nov 17, 1:14 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 34,136 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Bought some tree decorations today, out old ones were pretty past it, except for the battered homemade creations that the kids made when they were little, the rest can go. I might donate to the local church as they have a Christmas tree display each year, might be something they could use, the rest in the recycling.

6 more pressies to buy, then its done.

Turkey etc is ordered will just need to buy fresh stuff before

Massive fudge making splurge needed for most of December, I have had loads of orders - hence getting organised beforehand
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • millicent
    • By millicent 27th Nov 17, 12:13 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    millicent
    I have made a Christmas cake, I usually skip the icing part but think I may be brave this year. Can anyone advise the cheapest place to buy fondant icing and marzipan
    Originally posted by FrugalWeirdo83

My local Aldi have just started selling icing and marzipan.
    Haven't tried the marzipan but have made a Santa Claus and reindeer with the icing and its really good to work with!
    45,754.63 > 6,242.69(December)

85.4%paid

Here is a purse of moneys... which I'm not going to give to you.
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 27th Nov 17, 10:31 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Although its a bit late in a way, for those who are looking for a tree (even for next year) if its artificial try to find one mid year if you can, say June-September as they can be a bit cheaper and you can simply store it "until it is time"

I must admit I half want to put my (new) lights up to see what they are like but it feels too early not sure. I have made a bit of a boo boo with these as they are intended for a tree not 'around the room' so the lights are quite close together too. We shall see anyway I guess.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 28th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    • 24,167 Posts
    • 50,803 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I must admit I half want to put my (new) lights up to see what they are like but it feels too early not sure. I have made a bit of a boo boo with these as they are intended for a tree not 'around the room' so the lights are quite close together too. We shall see anyway I guess.
    Originally posted by AndyCF
    Go for it! Iíve seen a number of homes with lights up locally - and a couple with the whole shebang: Santa, reindeers etc. Once Iím in my new home, as soon as Iíve painted I plan to put my lights and LED tree up and am looking forward to it.

Late last night I fixed my nieceís wooden advent calendar (a couple of the doors had fallen off and required super-gluing, despite it being bought and used for the first time last year) and filled it with Christmas stickers, chocolate mini-Santas, gold coins and sterling notes from Poundland. I also found an advent shopping bag in Poundstretcher which is ideal to store it in.

Funny how I enjoyed spending my time doing this rather than packing
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 2nd Dec 17, 10:14 AM
    • 24,167 Posts
    • 50,803 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I should report back that my niece went nuts with joy when she opened the first door yesterday, loved the chocolate Santa and festive stickers. She then wanted to see what was behind all the other numbers.

She did get the concept in the end, because she woke up saying “number two”.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • AndyCF
    • By AndyCF 3rd Dec 17, 8:05 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    AndyCF
    Go for it! Iíve seen a number of homes with lights up locally - and a couple with the whole shebang: Santa, reindeers etc. Once Iím in my new home, as soon as Iíve painted I plan to put my lights and LED tree up and am looking forward to it.

Late last night I fixed my nieceís wooden advent calendar (a couple of the doors had fallen off and required super-gluing, despite it being bought and used for the first time last year) and filled it with Christmas stickers, chocolate mini-Santas, gold coins and sterling notes from Poundland. I also found an advent shopping bag in Poundstretcher which is ideal to store it in.

Funny how I enjoyed spending my time doing this rather than packing
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Not got around to it just yet, although its likely Tuesday I suspect as have quite a bit on tomorrow I think. First card arrived last Saturday too so I guess its time to think about those as well as 'choc' related presents where appropriate.
    • Florence J
    • By Florence J 4th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 10,142 Thanks
    Florence J
    I have posted all my cards, wrapped all of my family's gifts and most importantly of all I have all my Winter booze in.

But, it is not all plain sailing. My job situation is not confirmed (I may be doing some temp work soon after being out of work for a month) so I don't know when, or if, I will be seeing my family this Christmas (it is my OH's family turn for Christmas this year) and most of the gifts I have bought have been of the heavy and breakable variety which would make posting difficult and/or expensive.

Currently watching Miracle on 34th Street, may put up as many decorations as I can get away with later (my OH is of the 'Bah Humbug' variety)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 11 #553
    £1000 Emergency Fund Challenge #253
    Wombling free 2017 = £2110.15
    Pay off all your debts by Xmas 2017 #53 (£3133.08/£3000)
    November 2017 Credit Card Debt: £3980
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,692Posts Today

8,338Users online

Martin's Twitter