Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th May 17, 3:12 PM
    • 14,782Posts
    • 117,654Thanks
    JackieO
    Sweet Chilli Houmous??? Is it easy to make
    • 8th May 17, 3:12 PM
    Sweet Chilli Houmous??? Is it easy to make 8th May 17 at 3:12 PM
    Bought a tub of sweet chilli houmous on Saturday in Aldi's and had some at lunchtime and discovered how nice it is .Any one made it at home and if so was it easy as I really enjoyed it .Plus if you HM it how long would it last in the fridge (apart from me eating it all of course ))
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    New food budget 60.00 for May First shop of the month 6/5/17 17.56 Balance 42.44 in food budget purse last shop of the month and have 15.59 left in food budget purse, used up my W'rose vouchers
Page 1
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 8th May 17, 3:19 PM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 31,250 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 8th May 17, 3:19 PM
    • 8th May 17, 3:19 PM
    Hi Jackie

Humous is one of my favourites, not a made sweet chilli one, but I would swirl some sweet chilli sauce through a basic version - I make it in a food processor

1 can drained chickpeas
    1/2 crushed cloves of garlic (to taste)
    Juice of a lemon
    A good glug of olive oil
    A teaspoon of Tahini if you have some
    Season to taste

Whizz together till blended then adjust to taste ie a bit more olive oil, salt pepper etc - I have made with Harrissa stirred through it, so guessing sweet chilli would be similar

As for how long it lasts, not long in our house, but guessing you would be okay for a week in a sealed box in the fridge .

Hope it helps, probably someone with a more suitable recipe along soon x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

May GC 300/191.00
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 8th May 17, 6:40 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    YorksLass
    • 8th May 17, 6:40 PM
    • 8th May 17, 6:40 PM
    It must be fate for this Q&A to appear as I bought a jar of tahini paste just last week for the express purpose of making my own houmous. Thanks IM for the recipe.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

May GC: 160 - 149.63 = 10.37 / NSDs 20/28
    June GC: 200 - 0 = 200 / NSDs 0/35
    • Gaia
    • By Gaia 9th May 17, 7:49 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    Gaia
    • 9th May 17, 7:49 AM
    • 9th May 17, 7:49 AM
    I make homemade hummus – I add paprika and it's delish.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." Anon.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th May 17, 8:07 AM
    • 58,700 Posts
    • 338,106 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th May 17, 8:07 AM
    • 9th May 17, 8:07 AM
    I love the idea of it .... then think of the calories and shy away from it. However much you have, you have to eat it all ... and then something to dip in it (let's face it, a carrot's not as exciting as a tortilla chip!) ... you can write off 1000 calories in under 5 minutes without even realising you're eating .... and still go on to have "a proper meal" 2 hours later.

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 11,909 Posts
    • 212,791 Thanks
    greenbee
    • 9th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 9th May 17, 8:22 AM
    Tortilla chips and humous don't come from the same continent, so you could try dipping pitta in it, or having it with salad or in a sandwich.

Humous is high in iron, low in sugar, and the fat content depends on how much olive oil you use - a 'glug' in a tin isn't much, and if it needs more liquid you can use the liquid you drained from the can (or cooking liquid if you started with dried chickpeas). And it lasts for ages in the fridge, doesn't require any cooking (which makes it ideal for you), and has far more nutritional value and fewer calories than most pre-prepared foods.
    • 2childmum
    • By 2childmum 9th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    2childmum
    • 9th May 17, 11:10 AM
    • 9th May 17, 11:10 AM
    How vital is the tahini?
    May spend - 221.64/320.00
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 31,250 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 9th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 9th May 17, 1:46 PM
    How vital is the tahini?
    Originally posted by 2childmum
    I have made it with and without, it's a nice extra touch, but is still nice without

I like Humous and grated Carrot sandwiches BTW, not just as a dip
    Goes well with middle eastern Style Lamb too

May GC 300/191.00
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th May 17, 9:45 AM
    • 14,782 Posts
    • 117,654 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 10th May 17, 9:45 AM
    • 10th May 17, 9:45 AM
    I have been eating and enjoying the tub I bought on saturday and will use the last of it tonight as a topping for my salad.I shall certainly make some myself next week as I do have some tinned chickpeas in the cupboard one of which was Y/s dow to 20p I have been using it as a spread on crackers as I don't eat bread and topping it with tomato or sliced cucumber made a nice change from philly cheese. I don't eat tortillas or crisps of any sort and only have crackers as I stopped eating bread and their side products pitta etc about two years ago Don't miss them either or the stone and a half that I dropped doing it as well Now and again I may eat a wrap at my Dds but very rarely and even at their BBQ I never have a bun with the meat
    New food budget 60.00 for May First shop of the month 6/5/17 17.56 Balance 42.44 in food budget purse last shop of the month and have 15.59 left in food budget purse, used up my W'rose vouchers
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th May 17, 7:23 AM
    • 14,782 Posts
    • 117,654 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi Jackie

Humous is one of my favourites, not a made sweet chilli one, but I would swirl some sweet chilli sauce through a basic version - I make it in a food processor

1 can drained chickpeas
    1/2 crushed cloves of garlic (to taste)
    Juice of a lemon
    A good glug of olive oil
    A teaspoon of Tahini if you have some
    Season to taste

Whizz together till blended then adjust to taste ie a bit more olive oil, salt pepper etc - I have made with Harrissa stirred through it, so guessing sweet chilli would be similar

As for how long it lasts, not long in our house, but guessing you would be okay for a week in a sealed box in the fridge .

Hope it helps, probably someone with a more suitable recipe along soon x
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    I have a Kenwood food mixer, and a blender which do you think would be the best to make this in ? sorry if the question sounds a bit daft , put it down to my age I know you have a super douper processor Islandmaid
    JackieO xx
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th May 17, 7:33 AM
    • 58,700 Posts
    • 338,106 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I have a Kenwood food mixer, and a blender which do you think would be the best to make this in ? sorry if the question sounds a bit daft , put it down to my age I know you have a super douper processor Islandmaid
    JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    LOL .... "put it down to my age". It's a GOOD question. I think those who have gadgets forget that many people don't have them or don't understand what they've got.

I'm going to take a wild guess here that it's the blender.

I'm not au fait with gadgets...
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 11th May 17, 7:40 AM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 9,744 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    I love humus and would like to attempt my own, where do I get the Tahini from?

I noticed the other day tinned chickpeas were cheaper in the world food isle than the main isle.

Same question from me blender or food processor I am hoping blender not so much setting/washing up
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 11th May 17, 8:00 AM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 31,250 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    I,ve used my Magimix to make it before I go my 'super duper' processor

I don't think it age - I put the toothpaste from my shopping in the fridge yesterday we would have been brushing our teeth with tomato pur!e

I found Tahini in the world foods bit BTW.

I have got to make some now - chickpeas were 33p in Aldi and Lemons and garlic in super 6 so would be rude not too

May GC 300/191.00
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 11th May 17, 8:55 AM
    • 2,880 Posts
    • 3,523 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Ive used the Delia Smith recipe in the past. Stopped making it as no way could I get through the resulting quantity on my own. But a friend tells me that It freezes well, so I'm about to start again.
    • madnotstupid
    • By madnotstupid 11th May 17, 10:44 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    madnotstupid
    Tahini can be replaced with peanut butter, although the flavour isn't quite the same
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th May 17, 10:50 AM
    • 7,010 Posts
    • 6,987 Thanks
    pogofish
    You can also leave-out the Tahini altogether and just add a little of the chickpea liquid instead - approx 1tbsp if you wish. Some people don't like the taste/final texture much with Tahini and if you are using a fairly strong flavour like sweet chilli, you may not need it.

Personally the recipe I use is very similar to Islandmaid's - except if I do use Tahini, its more like 1-2 desert spoons but often not at all, depends if I have Tahini in or what I'm flavouring it with.

A liquidiser id fine for mixing it-up, yes. Keeps about four-five days in the fridge
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 17th May 17, 3:47 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 15,244 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    food processor
    JackieO xx
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Have tried in a blender, and doesn't work as well.
    Haven't made sweet chilli houmous, but have made plain, moroccan and broad bean and mint that they sell in Tescos.
    GC 2017 (4,000) Jan 346.72 Feb 241.96 Mar 280.29 Apr 196.58.00 (app.) May 220.93 (up to and incl 24/5) plus Ocado delivery saver

~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • The all new me
    • By The all new me 17th May 17, 7:20 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    The all new me
    Id use the food processor as you'll lose loads of it in the blender.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 18th May 17, 5:20 AM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 5,026 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

if you don't mind it a bit coarser just mash the chickpeas with a fork, add other ingredients, and mix, saves waste and cleaning.
    Y'all take care now.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 18th May 17, 9:22 AM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 14,980 Thanks
    oldtractor
    Hi,

if you don't mind it a bit coarser just mash the chickpeas with a fork, add other ingredients, and mix, saves waste and cleaning.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Trying for 10 a day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,279Users online

Martin's Twitter