Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,589Posts
    • 26,727Thanks
    XSpender
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt
    • 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt 4th May 17 at 11:12 AM
    How do I start what feels like yet another diary?

After being on the MFW board I have come back to the DFW board to shift the debt we have run up in the last 12 months.

A quick back story….DH and I are classic impulsive over spenders who went pop back in late 2008 and managed to climb out of the pit of debt we were in by me losing my job and a big redundancy pay out in early 2010. We avoided debt until 12 months ago when we found our dream house about 4 months before we had planned to start looking which we could afford but were short on the deposit. If we had only ended up borrowing the bit we needed to top up the deposit we would be have been debt free by now.

We have run up debt on buying the house, having some work done in the house and some furniture and soft furnishings and impulsive spending on holidays, meals out and the odd high ticket item. We thought we were past making these kinds of stupid decisions and are both worried and angry with ourselves at the level of debt we are in once again.

The one thing we are agreed on is that we will live on fresh air to keep this house and we need to sort our finances out to give us the security that this could never happen. One day I will get to be a MFW again!

To make matters worse 6 months after we moved DH has had some issues at work and has taken a job (same company) at a different location which has resulted in a reduction in the bonus he is paid monthly effectively reducing his monthly take home pay and his travel costs have gone up significantly. It hasn’t done much to reduce his stress levels either!

Worrying about money and our financial security has started to get to me and I don’t want to feel like that again, I thought I had left that behind in 2010. It makes me worry about losing my job and I then start to doubt my ability to do my job. I also worry it will impact on our ability to re-mortgage at a good rate in 12 months’ time.

I manage the finances but DH has (finally) got on board and has been writing his own plan about how we can stop spending and stop buying so we can owe nowt. Our good friends are also pulling in the purse strings as they have a family holiday to pay for so we have agreed to entertain each other at home rather than go out for meals with the kids which we did at least twice a month.

Current Debts

Bank of Mum and Dad - £4336.66 (17 payments left)
    Bank Loan - £12,114.51 (49 payments left)
    Bank CC - £9019.51 (1% payment to come off for May) – all at 0%
    DH CC - £5500 approx. – all at 0% until August
    My CC – £5782.31 – mostly 0% but some spending at standard rate
    BNPL – £400 – due 21st December 2017
    Owed to DS – £1296.79 – 0%
    Balance of trip to New York - £1098 due October 2017

TOTAL £39,547.78

Our plan is to drastically cut our spending and cancel the trip to New York for a start. There is not much we can do about our bills until June/July when they will all be up for renewal and I will hit the comparison sites. It is our spending on food and booze and stuff that needs to be reigned in hence the title of this diary.

If we can stop adding to the debt by paying the minimum payments each month as well as clearing the BNPL we will knock £6000 off the balance by the end of this year. My goal is to be under £30,000 owed by the end of the year and then have cleared all CCs by June 2018 which is a massive challenge. We both get performance related bonuses, DH quarterly and me twice a year but none of these are guaranteed.

Wish us luck and control over our spending urges.
    PAYDBX 2017 #99 from 4/5 - £2664.28/£10,000 26.6%
    Total Owed £39,547.78 May '17 Total owed July 17 £36883.50 Savings goal £1000 EF - £400
    DFD - May 2021 goal Feb 2020
Page 7
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 13th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    My meeting for tomorrow was cancelled so I was unexpectedly home last night. The fridge was looking bare so DH and I nipped to the shop and left £22 lighter This did include 2 glass goblets as we are very short of glasses and some beer for DH. We actually had toasted sandwiches for tea!

As I will be working from home today I will sort out DS holiday sports camp and the clean laundry. DH also needs some work shirts washing and I have a BT to 0% to do before the 25th.

At some point today I will try on my walking trousers to see if they still fit as we will be doing a lot of walking in Scotland and I am about a stone heavier than when I bought them 10 years ago. DH is very unlikely to be able to get in his

I wont pay off as much as planned on the debt over the next 2 months although the balance will be going down overall. DS needs a waterproof coat (seen a Bear Grylls one for £22 in the sale and he loves Bear Grylls), trainers and some sports sandles (sports direct) for our holiday, DH needs work trousers and possibly walking trousers and we need a light, a washing up bowl (don't use one at home), a frying pan, a chopping board and some cheap utensils (B&M) and some camping gas for our camping trip. We need a water carrier too but will buy a 5 litre water bottle instead and re use that as the cheapest ones get terrible reviews. We also need some long ladders to carry out several jobs at home both inside and out. We only have a stepladder at the moment and a long ladder will mean we can do a lot more work ourselves rather than getting a professional in. I can also get the rest of the wallpaper of the stairs which it is impossible to reach currently.

I will still need to be mindful of our spending as earlier in the year I took my eye off the ball and we ran the debt back up that we had paid off in the first 4 months of the year and I am not doing that again. That was why I started this new diary and we have paid off over £2000 since 4th May.

Right, one last cup of tea and then I best crack on with some work.
    Total Owed £39,547.78 May '17 Total owed July 17 £36883.50 Savings goal £1000 EF - £400
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 14th Jul 17, 9:08 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    Working from home again today then going to visit my friend, who had a cancer op last week, later this afternoon. I will pop and get her some flowers and have seen Asda are doing a mini afternoon tea for £3 so may get that on the way.

DS school are wearing football strips to remember Bradley Lowery today so he got himself dressed at 6.30am when he got up. It's been lovely not to constantly ask him to get dressed this morning

I had my head stuck in reports and spreadsheets yesterday so not much 'home' stuff achieved. The clean laundry has been sorted and taken upstairs and will be put away later today. There is not as much ironing left as I thought so will attempt to clear this at the weekend.

Washed DH shirts but sports camp booking and CC BT not done yesterday but will be done today. I need to work out the logistics of what days he can do as he has a party one day and DFIL can pick him up but I will need to drop him off so it needs to be on days I am at home.

I have to fit in a food shop at some point as we have been eating out of the freezer for most of this week. Asked DH and DS (7) for some meal ideas and DH was useless but DS suggested hot dogs one night () and chicken curry which we will have tomorrow. I have a tight budget for food this week and need loo roll and parmesan which will bump the total up. I have pinched an idea from treadingonplaymobil and have split my food budget into weekly amounts on YNAB to avoid the blow out at the beginning or end of the month. Food spending is our biggest problem area and there is no reason for it.

I went to show DH the Bear Grylls jacket for DS last night on the website and it is back up to £40 so may have to look at another coat.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 15th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    This week's to do list:

1) Book accommodation for leg0land DONE AND SAVED £272
    2) Book tickets for leg0land DONE AND SAVED£117
    3) Decide where we are going camping in August SCOTLAND
    4) Book camp site for August DONE

5) Contact local scout group (on line contact form wouldn't work last night, may have to email) so DS can go in September EMAILED
    6) Book DS into sports camp for 2 days, first week of summer break
    7) Put away all clean laundry that does not need ironing DONE
    8) Deep clean bedroom, apply mite spray, change sheets DONE
    9) Buy birthday gift and deliver to friend's daughter as they will be away for her birthday - BOUGHT, deliver Monday
    10) Do some surveys Done 1 on Shop and Scan
    11) Meal plan, check in budget via my supermarket DONE
    12) Make grain free bread and sugar free treats

Really pleased with food shop across Aldi and Asda yesterday. I spent under £50 for the weeks food and got plenty of snacks to avoid overspending at the weekend. Also picked up some marshmallows, a lamp and some cheap picnic plates and bowls for camping.

I actioned the BT to DH card yesterday and paid £40 off the balance off my card to totally clear the part that will be interest bearing come 25th July.

Birthday present and a party gift to buy along with cards today. I am considering buying the 2 other family cards I will need this year as I will go to card factory when I am in the city today having my hair cut. Otherwise I would have to make a special journey there.

Hair appointment today thank goodness! Missed it last week as dog escaped. It is 9 weeks since I last had it cut (I am growing it) which is the longest I have left it in years.

We received a letter about the sports camp yesterday which is actually running for the 2 weeks before we go on holiday so will book DS in to 1 day the first week and review what days he can go the second week (max 2).

It is chucking it down today so the lawns will have to wait as will putting the tent up to waterproof it.

Jobs for the weekend include the rest of the list up the top and:

Mow lawns
    Boxes and cases in loft
    Sort out our bedroom
    Ironing
    Put up DS picture and planets
    Clean carpet in living room, dining room and DS bedroom
    Make up guest room to sleep in while mite spray does its thing
    Haircut
    Buy gifts and cards
    Put up tent
    Buy a trampoline (promised to DS for summer holidays)
    Take dog out for a log walk in woods (training him for walks in Scotland)
    Defrost whole chicken for Sunday
    Defrost chicken breasts for curry tonight

Just a nice quiet weekend then....
    Last edited by XSpender; 16-07-2017 at 8:31 PM.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 938 Posts
    • 7,998 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Looks like a busy weekend for you!

Camping in Scotland sounds brave - I am always nervous about venturing north of about the M4 for camping in case of terrible weather!
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 15th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    The last time we visited this campsite in Scotland, about 9 years ago, it was a heatwave and it was unbearable in the tent. We always tend to be lucky with the weather in the UK, I might have tempted fate saying that!
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 16th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    Very spendy and busy weekend. DH has bust the hoover and his attempts at fixing it have failed. DMIL lent us her brand new one which is fab and is a cylinder one rather than an upright so is much easier on my back. We will have to replace ours very soon.

Our bedroom has been scrubbed and de dust bugged. We have taken the old chest of drawers the previous owners left to the tip along with some boxes of rubbish from the office bedroom. We found a pair of DH 32" walking trousers in the drawers and cant remember DH ever been less than a 34" but they fit me great

When we went in to the city for my haircut we picked up some half price walking trousers for DH and coat for DS (£40 but much better quality than the ones I had been looking at and warmer too). I also bought a birthday gift and a party gift.

We spent so long faffing about with DMIL on Saturday that I couldn't be bothered to make the curry and we had sains pizzas instead. I will make the chicken curry tomorrow. The whole chicken I defrosted late last night for today was grey and stinky this morning so had to buy another one from Aldi for tea.

Other spends included 2 pairs of work pants for DH. We usually buy suits with a spare pair of trousers but his job is half in and out of doors so the jackets rarely get worn and he is really hard on the trousers. We have gone for machine washable wool ones this time instead. Most of his current ones have split on the bum seam and cant be repaired as the fabric has gone.

The last purchases of the weekend were extendable ladders and a trampoline for DS who has been bouncing non stop all afternoon. The ladders were less than half the price I had budgeted for which covered the cost of the trampoline we had promised DS for the summer holidays DFIL has offered to come and paint the front of the house and take the rest of the wallpaper off the stairs while I am out at work this week

DH cut DS fringe tonight as it is too long so have saved a tenner but is a drop in the ocean after this weeks spends. DS sandals still fit him so have saved £15 there too

Since we gave up our PT and DH and I stopped going to the gym on an evening in May, we have been really missing it as well as putting on weight. DH contacted the owner today who has offered us a years membership at £135 each for the gym and all the classes. I was doing 2 classes a week at £4 a class so even if I did the same again and nothing else I would save over £70. It works out at £11.25/month
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 16th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 4,772 Posts
    • 20,819 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Sounds like a lovely weekend even if rather spendy least its been budgeted for

I need some extendable ladders! I keep meaning to look then forget until I'm hanging out the windows upstairs trying not to fall out while cleaning them
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 17th Jul 17, 7:25 AM
    • 6,328 Posts
    • 46,057 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I think those spends are all great. You had previously mentioned most of them, if not all, so they were all thought through and considered. You bought quality - trousers, coat for ds - and didn't buy unnecessaries. Well done!

Good to hear that your room is now dust bug free. Makes me itchy just thinking about it.

And the gym membership is fab.
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 15; Ex 14; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 17th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    Thanks apple. I felt very guilty listing our spends in what is supposed to be a debt free diary. but the point of having this diary is to be honest about what I am spending and tying to be mindful about what I choose to buy and why I am buying it. I am never going be hard core.

We made great progress with our to do lists for the week and the weekend and have a couple more to tick off when DS is at his grandparents tonight.

DH and I have agreed that he needs to start doing a bit more on an evening instead of coming in and collapsing in front of the TV/PS4. He does have a long commute but often there is no reason for him to stay at work as late as he does and this impacts on me as I have to make dinner, get DS to bed and see to the dog after working and driving all day and don't get time to do much else i.e. go for a run/gym/surveys. It also means that we cram loads into our weekends and don't have as much family time as we should have.

It is DS sports day today and I cant go because I have a work appointment. I do wish they would account for working parents and give us more notice so we can schedule our work so we can attend. Hopefully DFIL we be able to go. I forgot DS PE kit today and turned up to school with every other kid wearing theirs (sports day is this afternoon) so have had to run home, iron it and dash back to school with it. Bad Mammy

DS has had a good bounce on his trampoline this morning and asked if he could go on it before he had even opened his eyes this morning

We haven't heard back from the potential cleaner so if we have heard nothing by the end of the week DH is going to ask around for another recommendation.

Well it looks like the reason I wake up with dry eyes and nasal congestion/headache is not dust mite allergy as we thought as after treating and deep cleaning the bedroom at the weekend I am just the same this morning

Fiscal plans for this week include:

not spending any money that is not budgeted for
    using up all the fresh stuff in the fridge
    not buying any groceries until Friday
    making grain free bread and some treats as I have run out which leads to spending
    doing some surveys for money towards Christmas
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 18th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 6,328 Posts
    • 46,057 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Do you drink enough? I get dry eyes when I've not drunk enough - I need at least 2 litres a day.

Also, do you consume a lot of dairy, esp milk? I used to get grotty sinus infections with regularity and stopping milk each time + drinking copiously (4 litres) worked better than any tablets.

Jus' musing aloud...
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 15; Ex 14; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 18th Jul 17, 12:36 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    Milk/dairy isn't something I have considered apple but is definitely worth looking into. I do get phleghmy when I have had too much cheese like on a cheesy pizza. I do not drink enough water and drink too much tea with milk.

I did wonder if the dry eyes was related to having my eyes lazered 10 years ago.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 4,772 Posts
    • 20,819 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Not an adult I know but we bought a humidifier for youngest for something else, but the difference in her breathing/eyes and throat in a morning is amazing!
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 19th Jul 17, 10:33 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    Just lost a massive post
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 19th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    I have been feeling under the weather since yesterday evening so when I lost my big post this morning I went off and sulked

I woke up without a headache or rhinitis this morning and wonder if missing my usual 9pm decaff tea with milk, the antihistamine I had at 7pm or both helped. Or it might have been that my body was focussing its efforts on tummy pain to worry about head pain

Most unimpressed with the government shifting my retirement age back a year. DH, who is 5 months older than me will still get his at 67. For a couple whose retirement savings are pitiful it is one more thing to worry about.

DH has spent a tenner on a kebab last night (eugghhh) and lunch today as I was having a small lie in, as DS was at grandparents last night, and didn't get up and make his lunch.

I have used up some leftovers for my lunch and tried a new banana and coconut pancake recipe for brunch which was lovely.

I have attempted, unsuccessfully, to make some real changes to my diet over the last year or two and can never seem to sustain the changes. I am going to try a different approach and instead of changing all areas of my diet in one go and then falling off the wagon as soon as I have a stressful day or am away with work, I am going to focus on one or two changes each month before I attempt to make another change. I am hoping this will, over time, improve my energy levels and reduce or eliminate some of the minor health problems I have.

From now until the end of August I am going to:

Eat a healthy, grain and refined sugar free breakfast every day (I find this the easiest meal to get right when I take the time to eat it)
    Drink a minimum of 1l of plain water every day
    Eliminate crisps and other processed savoury snacks from my diet

DH wants to lose some weight and we eat crisps on a weekend mainly out of habit so I am just not going to buy any this week. The embarrassing thing is that this will probably knock about £7-8 off our shopping bill

I have added some categories to YNAB to split some of the bigger savings pots into smaller ones to give more achievable targets. I cant keep my sticky mitts of these pots and they keep being emptied to cover our monthly spending.

Plans for the rest of the week:

1) Pay for gym membership
    2) Book DS sports camp for 2 days
    3) Go for a run
    4) Go to gym
    5) Meal plan, check under budget, food shop
    6) Boxes and cases in loft
    7) Deep clean office
    8) Make some grain free bread
    9) Make some salt and vinegar almonds
    10) Take DS swimming

It looks like the tent wont be getting an airing this week as the weather forecast is for rain for the next 10 days
    Last edited by XSpender; 19-07-2017 at 4:18 PM.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 20th Jul 17, 9:36 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    I feel like a new woman today and am definitely on the mend I might actually get some proper work done today

I made grain free pancakes yesterday so achieved my healthy breakfast goal but not the other 2. Currently eating porridge with blueberries so that's a tick for today too.

I had herbal tea last night instead of rooibos with milk and awoke with only a little congestion and no headache.

The gym has been paid for and DH is planning to go either Friday or Saturday (or both). I am going to book some classes for next week.

I MUST book DS sports club today or it goes up a £1/day. Hope there is spaces left! We have agreed he will go Friday for the next 2 days.

I am booking a kids and parents version of a Tough Mudder style obstacle race for the days between LEGOLAND and camping on our 2 week break. DH and I were talking about flying off on holiday today and agreed that although getting on a plane is exciting and you are full of anticipation of time in the sun we actually don't really enjoy beach/pool/resort holidays Should save us a fortune over the next few years

Family have agreed on Enchiladas for Saturday's family dinner (one of my favourites) which I only need to buy wraps and salad for if I can find passatta . I am going to try my best to come in under £50 for food this week.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 20th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    Some proper work has been done.

Supported a work colleague who was having a wobble.

DS sports camp booked/awaiting confirmation.

Made chocolate grain free granola and grain free rolls.

Made pizza for lunch using a toasted pitta and some bits from the fridge.

Found a big tub of veggie chilli that still hasn't defrosted so that's tomorrows tea sorted.

Chicken kiev, chips and peas for tea from the freezer (I'm trying to use up all the foods future me won't buy again).

Watched DS on his trampoline.

Achieved my healthy breakfast, no crisps targets and on my way to achieving my water target.

Sent contact form off scouts page to local group as no response to email.

I haven't spent any money.

YNAB updated with new CC balances and it isn't pretty.

Calculated what is needed to clear the parentals loan and BNPL by the end of the year. It may just be achievable and DH says it will certainly give us something to aim for.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 21st Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    I can't believe DS has finished another year at school, it only seems 5 minutes since he started this year! He has had a great year and done really well

Sports camp has been confirmed so that will be £14 to add in to the budget. £7 for 5 hours childcare on each of the days, with DS being able to be active and run around, is a bargain

Spoke to my DM this morning and as DH is out a week on Saturday and Saturday night DS and I will go to Mum and Sep Dad's for a visit. I don't see enough of them as we live over an hour away and they have a more active social calendar than a couple of teenagers!

Food shop has been done across Aldi and Asda this morning and I am under budget £65 left until 3rd August which is doable. It would have been £80 but we succumbed to a takeaway which I promptly threw up 20 minutes after I ate it. Serves me right!

The weather is messing with my ability to dry the washing as, although breezy, we have been having showers on and off since yesterday and it is set to continue all weekend.

I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE TUMBLE DRYER
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 23rd Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    Skinty McSkintFace today with a week to go until payday

The emergency fund has been used to pay for the annual gym membership and a new vacuum cleaner. The EF is there to cover items like the vacuum but not the gym.

Swerved buying a new bed yesterday. We need one but I can't justify adding to our debt at this time.

We have had some wins; the vaccum was half price, my birthday gift was half price in the sale (it was what I wanted it just happened to be half price ) and my other birthday gift we found in the 2nd hand shop (GOT on blue ray series 1-6) for £70 less than new on line It's not my birthday until next week and we are well under budget for it so may get a GF cake too

Another win was buying DH his beer for the weekend at Aldi on Friday as it has kept us out of a supermarket all weekend and neither of us has eaten any crisps. We did pop into M&S yesterday as we exchanged some trousers for DH and I wanted a bottle of GF pilsner but they didn't have any so no money was spent

The new vacuum is so powerful it lifts the carpet and is difficult to move along the floor. It will take some time to get used to and it is a cylinder rather than an upright but it makes the carpets look like they have been shampooed. Shows how ineffective my dyson was.

Oher spends this weekend were £10 on fast food, a large exercise book for DS to create a scrapbook of his summer holidays, bags for the vacuum and a bag of arrowroot to make grain free crackers.

Yesterday it rained heavily all day so DH and I did all the washing, dried it in the tumble dryer and between us ironed and put away all but one baskets worth which I will do when I get off here. Sod's law it's beautiful here this morning and I have just hung out the three towels that were in the washer with my childhood soft today that, after living in the garage at our old house for many years, needed freshening up before packing away in the loft again.

A couple of days ago I calculated that if I cut back our budget further (even when we are struggling to stick to it now ), used my H2 bonus, and somehow found another £500, we could pay off the loan to DH Mum & Dad 3 months 9 months early. I think I am kidding myself that we can do this. I have cut back significantly this year already but since DH changed his role at the end of the year and took on a failing department he has not earned a bonus and his travel costs have risen which effectively means we are down approximately £6000 this half year. He may start to earn bonus again later in the year as he has turned the performance of the department around but I can't take it into consideration when calculating our debt pay off.

We have a big, reasonably high rate mortgage that will need to be renewed when our fixed term ends next June. We had about £1500 debt when we took it out and I am concerned that we will struggle to get a decent rate with DH drop in income and an increase in debt.

It doesn't make for a very interesting diary but I believe we have some very basic tasks to achieve:

1) Reduce our debt each month, even if it is only by the minimum payments required
    2) No spending on the CCs
    3) Clear the BNPL (£300 balance) by December
    4) Replace the EF (aiming for £300 by the end of the year, £500 stretch target)
    5) Extra money to go towards completing work started in house (not new work), EF and savings pots including Christmas 2017 and a 2018 camping holiday in France
    6) Complete the redecoration of hall, stairs and landing and painting of soffits

The only caveat to this is the flooring in the hall, landing and stairs and a new divan bed and mattress for us will probably go on credit. The draft through the hall floor boards is fierce and it's July, I hate to think what it would be like in November

The ultimate goal is for the amount of debt we owe on 31st December will be lower than the amount we owed on 4th May.

Plans for today:

* Finish the ironing when DH goes to the gym
    * Change our bedding
    * Vacuum the rest of the house
    * Dust everywhere
    * Make GF treats and crackers
    * Make a chicken dinner and homemade roast potatoes
    * Make a pudding using up some older apples to have with ice cream (crumble? Eve's pudding?)
    * Long walk with the dog
    * Sit in the garden and watch DS on his trampoline
    * Start DS scrapbook
    * Book a class for Tuesday and possibly Friday at the gym
    * Haircut for DH and DS
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 23rd Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 3,711 Posts
    • 33,989 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    The new vacuum is so powerful it lifts the carpet and is difficult to move along the floor. It will take some time to get used to and it is a cylinder rather than an upright but it makes the carpets look like they have been shampooed. Shows how ineffective my dyson was.
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Ditto - we've just replaced an upright Dyson with a cylinder Miele and the difference is amazing I my new vacuum cleaner!
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Outstanding balance: ~£42,000
    Current total overpayments: ~£116,250
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 24th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 2,589 Posts
    • 26,727 Thanks
    XSpender
    MWC - Ours is a Miele too! DH says it is the Audi of the vacuum world
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,766Posts Today

9,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin