IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Another Lidl Athena Complaint

Options
Hi

I've read the Newbies thread already. My car was caught on camera in Lidl West Wickham before Lidl opened. The driver was intending to shop there and was waiting for the shop to open but realised they had got the time wrong and were an hour early. There was no way to get the car reg into the shop at the time and they had to leave. I as registered keeper have now had this charge letter. I have tried complaining to lidl explaining the situation with little effect. Poor customer service.

First response:
Re: Parking Charge
Thank you for contacting us regarding the above.
The most efficient way to appeal your parking charge is to do so with the Car Park Management company direct. Details of how to do this will be on the parking charge notice you have received. If you still wish for us to do this on your behalf, we kindly request the following:
· Permission to pass your details to our Car Park Management Company for appeal*
· A receipt, this may be for the date of the contravention or prior visits. Please note for Data Protection reasons, we cannot accept bank statements as proof of shopping, any bank statements sent in to us will be deleted from our system.
* In order to quickly resolve your request, we would like to pass your details to our Car Park Management Company so they can get in touch with you directly regarding your appeal. As the company who manage our car park, they will be able to assist you further with this. For Data Protection reasons, we need your permission to do this. Please let us know if you agree with the transfer of your details?
Please send these details direct to the address below, quoting your reference or reply directly to this email (without deleting the subject line):
Customer Service Department
Lidl UK
Tailend Farm
Deans Road
Livingston
EH54 8SE

We hope that this matter is brought to a speedy and efficient conclusion. Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

I replied explicitly stating that they could pass the scan of the penalty charge ONLY (which Athena had sent me in the first place) in order that they could effect the cancellation; that I did not want to open an appeal and that I expected Lidl as the owner to instruct Athena as their subcontractor to cancel the charge. At no point has the driver been identified. I got this response:

Re: Parking Charge
Thank you for your most recent contact.
We appreciate you giving us permission to transfer your details to the Car Park Management Company.
We have now passed your information over to Athena in order for them to review your appeal. They will contact you directly in the near future regarding this matter.
Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Yours sincerely,
For and on behalf of Lidl UK GmbH

An Idiot In
Customer Service

[T] + 44 (0) 370 444 1234 / 0800 977 7766
[E] customer.servicesATlidlDOTcoDOTuk

Useless.

So now I am left contemplating the procedure you've all written about on here and am constructing the communication to Athena. This is largely taken from the sticky so should be OK but could you cast your eyes over it and let me know if there's anything that should be adjusted? Thank you.

Dear Athena

Re PCN number:

I am the keeper of the vehicle and am aware of your purported 'parking charge'. The driver will not be identified. I require the following information so that I can make an informed decision:

1. Who is the party that contracted with your company and are they the landowner?
2. Is your charge based on damages for breach of contract? Answer yes or no.
3. Please provide photos of the signs that you say were on site, which you contend formed a contract with the driver.
4. Please provide all photographs taken of this vehicle.
5. Please provide proof that the timing of any camera or timer used was synchronised with all other cameras and/or systems & machines.

Do not send debt collector letters and do not add any costs, which would be a thinly-veiled attempt at 'double recovery'. I will not respond to debt collectors and to involve a third party would be a failure to mitigate your costs as well as deliberate and knowing misuse of my data.

Should you obtain the registered keeper's data from the DVLA without reasonable cause (e.g. if you do not fully comply with the IPC Code of Practice in terms of signage at this site, as seems likely based on my research) please take this as formal notice that I reserve the right to sue your company and the landowner/principal, for a sum not less than £250 for any Data Protection Act breach. Your aggressive business practice and unwarranted threat of court for the ordinary matter of a driver using my car without causing any obstruction nor offence, has caused significant distress to me. I do not give you consent to process data relating to me or this vehicle.

I deny liability for any sum at all and you must consider this letter a Section 10 Notice under the DPA. You are required to respond within 21 days. I have kept proof of submission of this appeal and look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully,

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 2 May 2017 at 12:26AM
    Options
    Forward the email trail to Christian Haertnagel by name - not just the CS team.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • safarmuk
    safarmuk Posts: 648 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2017 at 2:30PM
    Options
    I believe these are the email addresses you can add to the emails to Customer Service:

You can find it by searching for "haertnagel" on this forum.
  • exlidlcustomer
    Options
    Thanks - yes I already did that - however it was over the weekend so we'll see now it's a weekday whether it makes any difference.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks - yes I already did that - however it was over the weekend so we'll see now it's a weekday whether it makes any difference.

Don't forget to leave negative feedback on their fakebook page. Be careful if your account is in your real name not to identify the driver.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • exlidlcustomer
    Options
    Quick note to let you know I got a response from the CEO office who's representative cancelled the ticket. Just had written confirmation from Athena.

Dear Exlidlcustomer

Re: Your Contact

Thank you for taking the time to contact our CEO. I have been asked to respond to you on his behalf.

As you are probably aware, Lidl UK GmbH is a national retailer. As such, we have stores in locations with limited parking space and in common with many of our competitors, our store car parks are abused to a significant and detrimental extent. We have therefore judged it necessary to take measures so that our stores parking facilities are available first and foremost to our customers.
    In order to ensure that sufficient parking spaces are available at all times to our customers, Lidl employs third party contractors to monitor and control our car parks. So far, this service has proved reliable and effective in reducing car park abuse and in freeing up spaces for our customers.
    However, I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused to you. Your suggestions regarding our current parking restrictions have been noted by the relevant personnel for future consideration. In the meantime, I can confirm that this charge has been cancelled.
    Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
    I hope you will remain a valued Lidl customer.

Yours sincerely,
    For and on behalf of Lidl UK GmbH

Stephanie Hamilton
    Customer Services Management

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good result.

Now, are you going to change your username, or will you stand by it. If so, write and tell them - try to scam me once, wave goodbye to my (and my family's) custom.

Sayonara.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree, Lidl have not come out of this smelling of roses. No Supermarket needs a protection racket in the 'free' car park.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • DarkShadow
    DarkShadow Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    How dare you get the charge cancelled? People like you are responsible why the parking company bosses are unable to purchase 3rd holiday home.:mad:
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 17 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure