IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones Letter of Claim

Options
Hi all.

I recently received a "letter before claim" from gladstone solicitors. It was relating to a parking fine from september 2015. After reading up I wasnt sure if this was someone pretending to be a solicitor to get some money out of me so I responded and asked for cause of action (something i saw another user on the forum do). I received a response today that said i have 14 days to pay before a letter of claim is issued.

Some background on the parking fine: I have a flexible working plan and at the time I was regularly using diffrrent car parks from day to day. Sometimes multiple car parks in the same area as i wasnt sure if i was going to be at work for 2 hours or 10. Also I carshare occasionally with my cousin who lives next door and works with me.

In september 2015 i received a few parking tickets from SIP and RCP but just ignored them untill they sent something to my house. In this case SIP has sent me a couple of notices demanding i pay. I have responded to every letter from them and the subsequent debt collector denying that I was the driver they were looking for. I requested an appeal but this was rejected as the appeal period had passed. so I asked them to send me everything they had to prove that I was the driver of the car. I used a template that i found online. In the end they gave up and stopped contacting me - until I received the letter from GLS this week.

At this point i think i will have to respond to them with a letter asking them to bring the claim so that i can defend myself. I wish i hadnt got myself into this mess but now I just dont want to pay untill i absolutely have to. Mostly because although I may have been the driver, I cant be sure and i have never parked at that gravel pit they call a car park unless it was a last resort. It is under the arches at chapel warf and its jam packed every morning.

What are my chances in court? Also will losing the claim effect my credit status? Will I even have to make an appearance in court? I have other tickets trom around the same time that i have not been chased up for (from SIP) - can these be used against me or grouped within this claim?Those are my main concerns at the moment. ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you read post #2 of the Newbies thread first and acknowledged this claim on MCOL?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • mirawais
    mirawais Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi mate
    I am in the same situation. any updates pal ? i have got the same letter
    thank you
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mirawais wrote: »
    Hi mate
    I am in the same situation. any updates pal ? i have got the same letter
    thank you

Read the Newbies Sticky and Start your own thread please.

Hijacking threads won't get you the best help.
  • mirawais
    mirawais Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Am not hijacking anything mate, You need help with your selection of words. was trying to get some info. I am new to this.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mirawais wrote: »
    Am not hijacking anything mate, You need help with your selection of words. was trying to get some info. I am new to this.

Then start your own thread

This thread belongs to nextman ... hence hijacking
  • nextman
    nextman Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    UPDATE: sent them a letter from Gans post. requesting cause of action, communications (including the issued notice from the windscreen) etc. I kept proof of postage but they didn't respond. They have just submitted the claim documents instead. They want £160 parking charges/damages, £7.09 interest (no idea what for), £50 legal costs and £25 court fee.

I'm guessing I now need to acknowledge the claim and prepare my defense.
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing I now need to acknowledge the claim and prepare my defense.
    Correct, research SIP court threads and others to put your own defence together. Post your draft here for further advice.

You will mention in your defence that you acted reasonably in trying to engage with them prior to the claim being issued and if they had also acted reasonably instead of ignoring you then litigation could have been avoided
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2017 at 6:49PM
    Options
    They are not like a proper solicitor and do not behave like a normal solicitor should. They operate on the thinnest of margins and, if you put up a rigourous defence, they usually collapse, read some of these.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=you've+been+gladstoned+prankster&spf=1495561536731

If they ignore your legitimate questions, bring this to the notice of the judge.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • nextman
    Options
    I am in the process of writing my defense. I wanted to know if this is a valid point. As I dont have the original documents that they have issued along the way ( I threw these out during a spring clean), I can't be certain whether they have complied with POFA. I've requested all the documents relating to the claim twice (I have proof of postage for one) but I've never had any correspondence with them other than "pay us or we'll take you to court".

I would appreciate any help with the wording on this. I understand its a bit flimsy as I havent kept most of the relevant documents myself.
  • nextman
    Options
    My defense as it stands (based on something I saw on another forum)
    1. It is admitted that Defendant is the owner of the vehicle with registration XXXXXXX.
    2. Defendant is unable to admit or deny the precise times he was parked on the land at Spaw Street Arches as he has no recollection of this. The Claimant is put to proof of the same.

3. Defendant has requested copies of all documents relating to this claim on 2 occasions but the claimant has not obliged. As Defendant has no recollection of the particulars relating to the claim, he is not able to admit or deny any charge in this matter.

Furthermore, as this information was not provided by the claimant, Defendant is unaware of the precise nature of this claim. Defendant does not know whether the claim is due to an overstay at the land, an invalid ticket, not displaying a ticket or perhaps parking outside of a designated bay.

4. As the claimant has unreasonably refused to provide any relevant documentation, Defendant has no way of knowing if the claimant has complied with Schedule 4, Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and mounting a defense if the Claimant has not complied with this legislation.

5. Defendant had also requested any photo evidence or records showing that the vehicle was parked on the land at Spaw Street Arches on the relevant date but this request was ignored. Furthermore the Particulars of Claim do not contain the precise timings of the charge being incurred, Defendant believes this is because the claimant has no evidence to support this claim.

6. It is denied that the Claimant entered into a contract with the Defendant. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the carpark is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. The proper Claimant is the landowner.

Defendant had requested details of ownership of the land before the claim was made but this request was also ignored by the claimant.

7. Alternatively, even if there was a contract, the provision requiring payment of £242.09 is an unenforceable penalty clause. Following Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v Selfridge & Co Ltd [1915] AC 847, clauses designed to punish a party for breach of contract may only be upheld if they represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss. The provision is a penalty and not a genuine pre-estimate
    of loss for the following reasons:

(a) as the Claimant is not the landowner and suffers no loss whatsoever as a result of a parking overstay;
    (b) the amount claimed is evidently disproportionate to any loss suffered by the Claimant;
    (c) the penalty bears no relation to the circumstances because it remains the same no matter whether a motorist overstays by ten seconds or ten years; and
    (d) the clause is specifically expressed to be a penalty on the Claimant's signs. - NEED TO CONFIRM THIS YET BUT SUSPECT IT MAY BE TRUE

7. Further and alternatively, the provision requiring payment of £242.09 is unenforceable as an unfair term contrary to Regulation 5 of The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. This is a term which falls within Schedule 1, paragraph (e) of the Regulations being a term "requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation". The term was not individually negotiated and causes a significant imbalance in the parties' respective rights and obligations, because the charge is heavily disproportionate in respect of a short overstay and is imposed even where consumers are legitimately using the carpark for its designated purpose.

8. Save as expressly mentioned above, the Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure