Aisle and Window seats

Me and the cook got an easyJet flight back to LGW from Split on Wednesday afternoon.

Didn't check-in online, so seats allocated on arrival at Split Airport 2.5 hours before ETD.

Allocated 6C [Port aisle] and 6E [Starboard middle]. Only a 2'25" flight, so no problem sitting apart.

Embarked, got settled, I had 6E.

6D and 6F passengers arrive.....an elderly couple, probably hopind that the middle seat hadn't been allocated.

Obvious they were together, and I offered to swap my seat so they could sit together in 6E and 6F, allowing me and the wife to have adjacent aisle seats, 6C and 6D.

They didn't want to change, but they were quite content to talk across me during the flight.

Strange or what?

Comments

• Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would have talked across 6 D to the cook every time they started to talk over you, or comondered both arm rests ����. Nowt so queer as folk eh !
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I wonder if one wanted the aisle seat so they could get up when they wanted and the other wanted a window seat because being in the middle makes them feel 'a bit squashed in' - it does me.

When we fly long-haul, if the configuration is 3-3-3, we choose aisle seats in the central section one behind the other e.g. 15D and 16D or 15F and 16F.
    Usually we get a couple next to us so they get out their side which leaves me to sleep undisturbed but I can get up whenever I want without disturbing anyone else.
    I can also recline my seat as OH is behind me.

It confuses the hell out of check-in staff who usually try to change our selected (and sometimes paid-for) seats to sit us next to each other.
    And we've been asked a number of times by other passengers if we'd like to change seats with them so we can sit across the aisle from each other - which we politely refuse.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I wonder if one wanted the aisle seat so they could get up when they wanted and the other wanted a window seat because being in the middle makes them feel 'a bit squashed in' - it does me.

When we fly long-haul, if the configuration is 3-3-3, we choose aisle seats in the central section one behind the other e.g. 15D and 16D or 15F and 16F.
    Usually we get a couple next to us so they get out their side which leaves me to sleep undisturbed but I can get up whenever I want without disturbing anyone else.
    I can also recline my seat as OH is behind me.

It confuses the hell out of check-in staff who usually try to change our selected (and sometimes paid-for) seats to sit us next to each other.
    And we've been asked a number of times by other passengers if we'd like to change seats with them so we can sit across the aisle from each other - which we politely refuse.

You can also point to the seat behind you over your shoulder and say " he,s paying " if you purchase anything during the flight:rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Some people don't want to be joined at the hip 24/7 and have their own preferences over which seats they'd like. After 50 years of marriage, being separated by 3' for 2-3 hours isn't the end of the world.
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I always choose an aisle seat and wouldn't have wanted to change to a middle seat either.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Some people don't want to be joined at the hip 24/7 and have their own preferences over which seats they'd like. After 50 years of marriage, being separated by 3' for 2-3 hours isn't the end of the world.
    I always choose an aisle seat and wouldn't have wanted to change to a middle seat either.

Would you have constantly talked across the person in the middle though?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Ganga wrote: »
    You can also point to the seat behind you over your shoulder and say " he,s paying " if you purchase anything during the flight:rotfl:
    Been there, done that. :D

In fact when we were separated by quite a few rows on a short-haul flight to Greece, when the drinks trolley came I stood up and said 'the bloke in 19C is paying for my G&T' and waved to him.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

I'll start another thread later on about a recent experience I had sat in seat 85H [starboard side aisle seat] on a full Emirates A380 [big bird] from Dubai to LGW. It wasn't pleasant!
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    I'll start another thread later on about a recent experience I had sat in seat 85H [starboard side aisle seat] on a full Emirates A380 [big bird] from Dubai to LGW. It wasn't pleasant!

PompeyPete in big bird airline shocker!
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    They were probably worried that if they sat next to each other they would be overcome by lust and have to join the mile high club.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure