Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sauasage_Roll
    • By Sauasage_Roll 20th Apr 17, 11:34 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Sauasage_Roll
    Faulty car from Dealer
    • 20th Apr 17, 11:34 AM
    Faulty car from Dealer 20th Apr 17 at 11:34 AM
    I've bought a 2nd hand car from a dealer...upon collecting and paying we found all brake light bulbs needed replacing,that was done at a garage before we could drive home.

I paid and didn't worry about costs...then we found out headlights were same and needed other work to fix headlights,this was only found when we went to use it a day or two later in the evening.

Long story short i've written a letter stating faults and quoting sales o0f goods act (letter was template) and asked for repairs to be paid for and included a receipt from Garage for works (only £130 ish) and given dealer 2 weeks to pay.

Two weeks is up and as expected he has ignored the signed for letter...is there another template letter i can send similar to letter before action or would i already be at the LBA stage.

Whilst its a small amount of money its still an amount i shouldn't have had to pay (car was £1300 to buy).

Normally id have asked the dealer (located 45 miles away) to collect car and deal with it...however when its headlights i felt it wasnt safe or appropriate to use it and needed to have it fixed asap.

Any help and advice would be very welcome.
    Last edited by Sauasage_Roll; 20-04-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Page 2
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 20th Apr 17, 9:36 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    stuart30
    News to me unless playing the "unroadworthy" card changes things...
    Originally posted by facade

Heres a link...its roughly 2/3rds the way down the page.

http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-laws-give-car-buyers-extra-protection/

Unless there is a clause in the sales contract which says you are obliged to return the car, then it is the dealer’s obligation to collect the vehicle. You only have to make sure the car is available to collect.

http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/read-news/871

Good to know.
    • macman
    • By macman 21st Apr 17, 1:48 AM
    • 41,351 Posts
    • 17,001 Thanks
    macman
    Sausage roll is the original poster ("OP") of ths topic and they have stated in the quote above that the car was less than 30 days old, which is new enough that the manufacturer would be interested in the fact the dealer is selling it in an unroadworthy condition, despite the fact it is apparently also second hand.

The fact they also said it cost them £1300 does not mean they did not say it was almost new in a different post. Both things being true seems unlikely though.

Something doesn't add up. Or perhaps one of you has an explanation for the quoted text above?
    Originally posted by onomatopoeia99
    But what the OP meant to say was quite clearly that the sale was made less than 30 days ago...so he could still reject it for a refund under CRA.
    OP, if you think you can get better advice by Googling it, then why post in the first place?. It's a public forum, so opinions will differ.
    Last edited by macman; 21-04-2017 at 1:57 AM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 21st Apr 17, 9:36 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    stuart30
    But what the OP meant to say was quite clearly that the sale was made less than 30 days ago...so he could still reject it for a refund under CRA.
    OP, if you think you can get better advice by Googling it, then why post in the first place?. It's a public forum, so opinions will differ.
    Originally posted by macman

Simply becuase the replies are not helpfull and sadly incorrect in what has been stated.

Ive asked for advice...thanked those who have offerd it...then gone away and found the correct procedure myself.

Once again thanks for sharing the wisdom....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

186Posts Today

1,927Users online

Martin's Twitter