Parcelhero have lost/stole my package of an iPhone 6!!

endaf
endaf Posts: 78 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 April 2017 at 7:26PM in Consumer rights
Hello all, after some urgent advice please. Entered into a contract with parcelhero to deliver my old (but in absolute pristine condition) iPhone 6 to a buyer. Tracking was showing it as holding at depot for several days, investigated and was told that it's lost. Obviously been stolen by the courier.
I paid extra for £200 compensation cover. The phone was purchased originally through a phone contract-free phone but paid £40 a month for 2 years.
I've now been told as I can't produce a receipt for the phone I can only claim for consequential loss.
I have provided the original invoice showing the contract and iPhone to be provided.
Where do I stand?! Surely they can't pay me the compensation just because I didn't pay full price for the phone but took out on a contract and paid over 2 years. An iPhone 6 is obviously worth x amount of money no matter what I "paid" for it originally?
Any help in this matter is appreciated as I'm getting a phone call back from a manager to discuss the claim tomorrow!

Comments

• dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Give them a copy of the receipt you gave to your buyer (or something that confirms how much you sold it for), that's the best evidence of the phone's current value.

Given the phone is over two years old they won't be giving you the original purchase price for it anyway.
  • endaf
    Thanks for the reply, yes I'm aware of that but I'd sold it to fonebank (a company that buys mobile phones) so if I provide that then they should pay out?
    The deal was I send the phone for them to check over and if as advertised they would pay me £240. Insurance compensation I bought was for £200.
    So I'll provide them with that "invoice" that should be enough?
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    endaf wrote: »
    Obviously been stolen by the courier.
    Or mislabelled or had the label fall off and it's sitting in a depot or van somewhere, or maybe it was delivered to the wrong address in error or then again, maybe a visitor to the courier depot stole it or possibly they were given the wrong item when they went to collect something.
    It you are so convinced that it's been stolen and have proof of this, winning a court case against them will be guaranteed so go for it.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Obviously been stolen by the courier.
    Do the police agree with you?
  • endaf
    Ok I get what you're saying "possibly "stolen then. The address was clearly marked with an address with a phone (fonebank) on the address, the parcel was packed tightly around a phone sized box and I'm assuming that "someone" from when I handed that parcel over to parcelhero "may" have stolen it. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, if I'm right I'm right.
    All that I care about is that the company is refusing to pay out compensation for that " loss or theft" by not paying me the money that I'd covered the non delivery for.....happy now??
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply, yes I'm aware of that but I'd sold it to fonebank (a company that buys mobile phones) so if I provide that then they should pay out?
    The deal was I send the phone for them to check over and if as advertised they would pay me £240. Insurance compensation I bought was for £200.
    So I'll provide them with that "invoice" that should be enough?

You have no guarantee how much Fonebank would have paid for the phone though ? They may have only given you £100 for it once they'd "checked it over" Did the phone come free with your contract ? If it did they will be reluctant to give you £200.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Look for a replacement phone of same spec then Claim that as the consequential loss
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    You have no guarantee how much Fonebank would have paid for the phone though ? They may have only given you £100 for it once they'd "checked it over" Did the phone come free with your contract ? If it did they will be reluctant to give you £200.

Phones do not come "free with a contract" despite what the networks say. They cost you the difference between a sim only contract and a similar contract that includes the phone. For the latest iPhone that is usually over £25 a month for 24 months, or £600.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    harrys_dad wrote: »
    Phones do not come "free with a contract" despite what the networks say. They cost you the difference between a sim only contract and a similar contract that includes the phone. For the latest iPhone that is usually over £25 a month for 24 months, or £600.

I'm aware of that. Their biggest hurdle will be proving they they were getting £240 from Fonebank. This amount wasn't guaranteed, it was subject to the phone being assessed by them.
  • munchpot
    munchpot Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    meer53 wrote: »
    I'm aware of that. Their biggest hurdle will be proving they they were getting £240 from Fonebank. This amount wasn't guaranteed, it was subject to the phone being assessed by them.

I think the OP may have an issue trying to claim that Fonebank were offering £240 and he only insured it for £200

If the insurance do agree to pay out they may well say that you were 20% under insured and therefore any payout would be reduced pro-rata
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure