Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 19th Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4,665Posts
    • 2,833Thanks
    Hengus
    A 0.29 Laser Colour Printer
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:37 AM
    A 0.29 Laser Colour Printer 19th Apr 17 at 11:37 AM
    My Lexmark colour laser printer (4 years old) needs a set of new toner cartridges. If I went for the manufacturer's items then I would be looking at an outlay of 469. A set of third-party compatible re-cycled cartridges would cost me 168.70.

Arriving later today is a like-for-like replacement model with a 4 year onsite warranty ( which includes a 469 full set of manufacturer's cartridges) at a cost of 168.99 - and I get to use the last of my old toner cartridges in the new printer.

Reading other forums, I am not alone in coming to the conclusion that is cheaper to buy a replacement printer rather than a set of toner cartridges. The World has gone mad.
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    • 3,071 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:48 AM
    Yep

The price of printer inks is absolutely shocking.
    They usually sell printers at a loss these days and then pull your pants down with inks ..

Its like the razor blade "scam"
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 19th Apr 17, 11:50 AM
    • 9,883 Posts
    • 7,362 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:50 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 11:50 AM
    yup, that's how it works these days...there's an awful lot of people who would've just bought the cartridges which is why they're priced the way they are...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 19th Apr 17, 12:19 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:19 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:19 PM
    I just fell for the 22.50 HP All-in-one-instant-ink-compatible inkjet @Argos, instead of buying 2 new carts for an old Canon. The old printer mountain must be getting high!
    Hi, weve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • were
    • By were 19th Apr 17, 12:26 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    were
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:26 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:26 PM
    Some companies sell their new printers that have partially filled cartridges, so may not be cost effective to keep buying new printers.

For home use I would google forums for something that I could fill and works thereafter, or cheap compatibles that work.

For some printers there are also chips for sale that bypass printer security and number of pages printed, so you can print till there is no toner left and you can use compatible cartridges and fill your own, and it can be messy.

You can't use a cartridge though forever as the coating and mechanism wears away, gets lines, photo surface peels/flakes, and starts to leak toner. Years ago it was said that a 1500 page cartridge could be recycled 3 times before it was no use.

I use my printer so little, now i go to the intent shop and get it printed for 1 for computer use and 50p a page.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 19th Apr 17, 12:34 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:34 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:34 PM
    My work involves computers but printers are my most hated peripheral. I have standard replies for ...
    "why is every other line of text missing" - buy some proper cartridges
    "why is no paper coming out of the printer" - buy some paper
    "but there's paper going in" - buy a new printer
    Hi, weve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 19th Apr 17, 1:14 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:14 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:14 PM
    Yep they used to give Colour Laser printers away knowing they would get a mortgage payment on ink or toner.

I did see the HP Instant Ink deal which is basically 7.99 a month for 300 pages with each additional set of 25 pages for 1.

If you use less than 300 pages a month that is 96 a year so the price you paid may start to look expensive. Of course it depends on the printer and quality but still.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/r

I make a point of never printing anything and ask others to print something off if urgent, usually I print to an old version of PDF Creator and email the PDF.

If I had a need to print that HP deal seems reasonable.

Of course it applies to certain eligible printers

HP DeskJet 3630 Series
    HP DeskJet 3720 Series
    HP DeskJet 3730 Series

HP ENVY 4500 Series
    HP ENVY 4520 Series
    HP ENVY 5530 Series
    HP ENVY 5540 Series
    HP ENVY 5640 Series
    HP ENVY 7640 Series

HP OfficeJet 3830 Series
    HP OfficeJet 4630 Series
    HP OfficeJet 4650 Series
    HP OfficeJet 5740 Series
    HP OfficeJet 6950 Series

HP OfficeJet Pro 6830 Series
    HP OfficeJet Pro 6960 Series
    HP OfficeJet Pro 6970 Series
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8210 Series
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8610 Series
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Series
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 Series
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 Series
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Series
    HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 Series
    Last edited by DavidP24; 19-04-2017 at 1:18 PM.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 19th Apr 17, 1:26 PM
    • 9,528 Posts
    • 9,126 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:26 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:26 PM
    Another vote for HP Instant Ink. If your usage is reasonably predictable, then it's a good deal. There are three usage levels:-

1.99pm = 50 pages pm
    3.49pm = 100 pages pm
    7.99pm = 300 pages pm

There's rollover of unused pages for 1 month, and no ongoing contract. (I don't know how they handle it if you cancel after just receiving new cartridges).

I worked out the figures for low usage, and it's a no-brainer. A typical low user probably buys 3 sets of cartridges per year (maybe 60 worth?). Or they can pay 2/mth = 24 for the year.

There's a popular code-sharing thread in the Referrals sub-forum.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 19th Apr 17, 1:28 PM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,911 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:28 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:28 PM
    They usually sell printers at a loss these days and then pull your pants down with inks ..

Originally posted by AndyPix
    You've been listening to Tim Harford, too, eh?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04t8k2l
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 19th Apr 17, 1:29 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    To be fair anyone who buys a Lexmark laser printer must have money to burn, they are probably the most expensive to run plus a lot of models will only accept OEM cartridges due to Lexmark Return Program recycling system. Also I'd be surprised if a new Lexmark Laser Printer came with full cartridges, laser printers are normally supplied new with starter cartridges which will do a few hundred pages as opposed to a few thousand pages that the full ones should do.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Apr 17, 1:50 PM
    • 3,071 Posts
    • 2,145 Thanks
    AndyPix
    You've been listening to Tim Harford, too, eh?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04t8k2l
    Originally posted by Biggles

No - but thanks for the link - ill check that out
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 19th Apr 17, 2:35 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I haven't owned a printer for years as the little amount I did do meant the heads kept drying up so I do what I need at work now.

Not quite the same thing but I remember hearing stories about opposition to Dyson introducing the bagless vacuum, because traditional replacement bag market was worth huge money at the time.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 19th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,911 Thanks
    Biggles
    No - but thanks for the link - ill check that out
    Apparently we owe what is now known as the 'two-part pricing model' to King Gillette (attract people with a cheap razor, then repeatedly charge them for expensive replacement blades)
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 19th Apr 17, 5:15 PM
    • 13,085 Posts
    • 11,151 Thanks
    paddyrg
    ...( which includes a 469 full set of manufacturer's cartridges)...
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Are you certain they're a full set of original toners (not a starter pack which is just enough to print a test page)? It's usual for starter toners etc to be just enough to prove the device works and get you on the full price toners etc.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 19th Apr 17, 5:24 PM
    • 3,149 Posts
    • 4,184 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I bought a new Samsung C430W colour laser printer from Ryman in December for 100 (should be getting 8 from TCB but still waiting). Samsung had a special offer at the time where you could claim for a free "rainbow" toner pack, which came through within a month of claiming it.

Cheapest I can find the toner pack is 124!

Should last me a while, as I'm still on the toner that came with the printer, but when I to eventually run out of toner I will look at buying a new printer. My environmentally conscious side hates this, but the bottom line is key.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 19th Apr 17, 5:28 PM
    • 7,413 Posts
    • 15,895 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I use the Instant Ink for Rainbows and Brownies - it works out much cheaper than buying cartridges. I use the middle package, 100 sheets for 3.49 a month, but also received 9 months free.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 19th Apr 17, 7:50 PM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 2,833 Thanks
    Hengus
    To be fair anyone who buys a Lexmark laser printer must have money to burn, they are probably the most expensive to run plus a lot of models will only accept OEM cartridges due to Lexmark Return Program recycling system. Also I'd be surprised if a new Lexmark Laser Printer came with full cartridges, laser printers are normally supplied new with starter cartridges which will do a few hundred pages as opposed to a few thousand pages that the full ones should do.
    Originally posted by interstellaflyer
    Black is guaranteed at 8000 pages. My last black cartridge lasted 2 years and they gave me an extra one free.

This is typical of reviews on Printerland:

Small office network workhorse

First thing to say is this is the second one of these printers I've bought. Why? Simply because it's cheaper to buy a new printer with high capacity cartridges that it is to buy a set of high capacity cartridges. Crazy, but true. In addition I get all the advantages of having a new printer (new consumables, new warranty, and so on). That's the only reason it didn't get an "Excellent" on the Value rating. I use it in a small office environment, networked with 3 other users and so far it's performed flawlessly over a number of years. For me it was a no-brainer to buy the same printer again.

Reading this link led to my wife to ask whether I had been out buying stolen goods:

http://www.ebuyer.com/415281-lexmark-cs510de-a4-colour-laser-printer-28e0075
    Last edited by Hengus; 19-04-2017 at 8:00 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 19th Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    Tarambor
    I'll just point out that in most cases the amount of ink/toner you get in the cartridges that come with new printers aren't anywhere near the amount you get in a set of replacement cartridges. Its usually stated somewhere in the small print.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 19th Apr 17, 9:12 PM
    • 4,665 Posts
    • 2,833 Thanks
    Hengus
    I'll just point out that in most cases the amount of ink/toner you get in the cartridges that come with new printers aren't anywhere near the amount you get in a set of replacement cartridges. Its usually stated somewhere in the small print.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I can only go on past experience. The black cartridge supplied with my first printer lasted nearly 2 1/2 years with a lot of printing each week. I appreciate that many laser printers only come with starter cartridges.
    • eset12345
    • By eset12345 19th Apr 17, 10:35 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    eset12345
    if you had to pay the full cost of a printer without them subsidising it with the hope you will go on to buy their liquid gold it would make your eyes water.

there's a hell of a lot of expensive tech inside of a printer, way above the 30 - 100 you'd pay for a cheap printer / scanner / copier.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,647Posts Today

7,212Users online

Martin's Twitter