Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 18th Apr 17, 11:18 PM
    • 404Posts
    • 81Thanks
    justaquestion
    other than an Ipad is there any android tablet that can be restored through pc?
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:18 PM
    other than an Ipad is there any android tablet that can be restored through pc? 18th Apr 17 at 11:18 PM
    Hi folks,

With two nexus 7 tablets now bricked due to getting stuck at google logo at startup and not being able to restore them even through a hard reset (went through all the proper steps) I am really getting fed up with them, and the cost and problems involved. I did try unofficial software on the internet, didn't work either because I am not experienced enough to use it, or it just couldn't work.

A few days ago I had to restore my childs ipad due to a forgotten restriction passcode and it worked great doing it through ITunes software on the pc, so was impressed with that.

1 Is there any android tablet such as a Samung Tab or other make that will enable me to restore through the official software on the pc, if it so happened I couldn't do a hard reset from within the tablet itself?

2 I am now using my partners Nexus 7, it is a bad idea to leave it switched on all the time, or shut down at night time, as the other two were on continually, but for some reason I feel this wore them out quicker?

Advice gratefully appreciated on what android tablet to go for mext that may have official software to restore and reset it?

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by justaquestion; 18-04-2017 at 11:22 PM.
Page 1
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 18th Apr 17, 11:53 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 1,506 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:53 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 11:53 PM
    Unless you were in the process of trying to upgrade the OS or apply a custom rom, it sounds like both tablets have suffered a hardware failure and even if there was official support to reload the OS from a PC I doubt it would work.

I've not come across an Android device that works the same way as Apple although I find it a lot more straightforward to reset on the device itself so I've never looked into doing it through a PC. Samsung devices can upgrade their OS and backup/restore through their PC software but as far as I'm aware you still do the actual reset on the device itself.

It's unlikely the other devices failed because they were left on, they're complex pieces of electronics and there's not much you can do to prevent a failure. There's risks with powering on from cold as that can cause components to fail vs keeping them on all the time.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    • 9,495 Posts
    • 3,876 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:17 AM
    Samsung devices upgraded / backed up via Samsung Kies from PC .
    But that does require the tablet to be able to enter download mode .
    Usual first reset of a tablet is restore to stock / out of the box state via factory restore from recovery .Recovery accessed via buttons on a powered off tablet .
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Apr 17, 9:26 AM
    • 2,529 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:26 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 9:26 AM
    Hi,
    Nexus 7's are great tablets but the issue you are having is a common one ..

Have you tried all the steps here : http://innov8tiv.com/heres-fix-google-nexus-7-tablet-stuck-google-logo-boot/
    There are pretty clear instructions.
    I presume your tablets are out of warranty ? If not, get them reported asap.

Im not aware of any android tablets that offer the same restore facility such as they do on Itunes
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • datostar
    • By datostar 19th Apr 17, 12:34 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    datostar
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:34 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:34 PM
    Hi,
    Nexus 7's are great tablets but the issue you are having is a common one ..

Have you tried all the steps here : http://innov8tiv.com/heres-fix-google-nexus-7-tablet-stuck-google-logo-boot/
    There are pretty clear instructions.
    I presume your tablets are out of warranty ? If not, get them reported asap.

Im not aware of any android tablets that offer the same restore facility such as they do on Itunes
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Just had a 2 year old Nexus 9 completely die. Worked perfectly one day -put to sleep in the evening. Next morning totally dead. Charging LED does not light. On charger for 3 days. All the recommended button twiddling doesn't work. Currently with a repairer for diagnostics. Not impressed. I like the look of the Pixel C but it's expensive and is it going to be any more reliable than the Nexus's? Contrast my 1st Gen iPad Mini, used extensively over the past 5 years and still going strong.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 19th Apr 17, 3:34 PM
    • 6,998 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    almillar
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:34 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 3:34 PM
    datostar - my Dad's Nexus 9 is in a similar situation. The only sign of life is that it gets warm while charging - please keep us up to date on the repairer's diagnosis...
    • toshi
    • By toshi 19th Apr 17, 5:59 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    toshi
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:59 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 5:59 PM

With two nexus 7 tablets now bricked due to getting stuck at google logo at startup and not being able to restore them even through a hard reset (went through all the proper steps) I am really getting fed up with them, and the cost and problems involved. I did try unofficial software on the internet, didn't work either because I am not experienced enough to use it, or it just couldn't work.
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    Hi, I think you know what you are doing, you just tried to use a factory reset, but this did not work.

Nexus 7 has 2 versions, 2012 and 2013. I have the exact same problem with my friend's 2012 Nexus 7

When you connect Nexus 7 to PC, you stuck in APX mode. It seems that this is a known hardware bug since 2012

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36956908

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Nexus++APX+mode

Because of hardware faulty, you are not able to install Custom Rom as well as use a factory reset. In my case, I was lucky to find a refurbished working motherboard (with a broken LCD) from eBay (5 pound). Then replaced the motherboard itself. Then install a custom ROM. You can install a lightweight custom Rom for Nexus 7. (But you have to make it work to install a custom Rom first... )
    • were
    • By were 19th Apr 17, 7:31 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    were
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:31 PM
    • 19th Apr 17, 7:31 PM
    Guys, I do not have one, or can be sure that this works, but have you tried these?

https://cd-rw.org/t/resurrect-a-nexus-7-2012-to-run-as-good-as-new/141
    https://nexus7.gadgethacks.com/how-to/tired-stock-rom-your-nexus-7-install-cyanogenmod-instead-0143048/
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7/development
    • hd216
    • By hd216 21st Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    hd216
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    • 21st Apr 17, 12:50 PM
    Presuming that it is software rather than hardware based issues, I can definitely recommend a tool called Nexus Root Toolkit http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/. Whilst the tool is more geared towards people that want to root their tablet, it is more than useful in fixing a bricked Nexus Tablet. There is a specific option to fix those stuck in a boot loop; it will talk you through installing the drivers needed.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 22nd Apr 17, 12:26 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    datostar
    datostar - my Dad's Nexus 9 is in a similar situation. The only sign of life is that it gets warm while charging - please keep us up to date on the repairer's diagnosis...
    Originally posted by almillar
    Got it back in exactly the same state. Repairer unable to do anything with it and didn't charge me. I'll try another place next week and if no progress there I'll write the darn thing off. Pixel C is far too expensive to take the risk so I've got a refurb 9.7 iPad Pro on it's way from Apple. Had good experiences with them before and at least they're repairable!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 22nd Apr 17, 10:18 PM
    • 25,468 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    A firmware update or reinstall using ODIN rather than KIES.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 24th Apr 17, 2:09 PM
    • 6,998 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    almillar
    Thanks datostar - sorry to be a pain, but do you know what he tried? Especially just about the one hardware thing he can do, a new battery, to save me the expense of trying?
    I agree, it's a shame to have lost the Nexus line, and it hasn't really been replaced - the Pixel line has gone way upmarket.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 25th Apr 17, 8:12 AM
    • 992 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    datostar
    Thanks datostar - sorry to be a pain, but do you know what he tried? Especially just about the one hardware thing he can do, a new battery, to save me the expense of trying?
    I agree, it's a shame to have lost the Nexus line, and it hasn't really been replaced - the Pixel line has gone way upmarket.
    Originally posted by almillar
    No, the 'Technician' wasn't around when I went to pick it up so I don't know what he did. I can't tell if it had been opened up or not. I'm going to have one more go at another place. It's noticeable that a lot of the online places have a lot of quotes for Nexus 7 repairs and parts but very little for 9's. Seems a Nexus 9 battery is around £25-30 and fairly easy to replace, but I'm reluctant to get one in case it's some other problem.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 25th Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    • 6,998 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    almillar
    After trying lots of other things, I've had the back off and disconnected the battery for a few days for a proper reset, but still nothing. Back just pops off, you just have to be brave and careful!
    Also, the 'problem' with Nexus 9 and lots of other devices, is that they're useless to the next owner if they do get it working, as you can't just wipe it (like you can on a Nexus 7), the current (previous) owner needs to do this with their credentials.
    Let me know what this other guy says sure just in case there's a ray of hope.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 5th May 17, 2:08 PM
    • 992 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    datostar
    Almillar,
    I've got the Nexus 9 back now, working and taking a charge. The problem seems to have been my charger supplying insufficient power. The original was lost and I was using an LG charger. As recommended by the repair shop I got this from Amazon (currently £10)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017VXARME/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

An Anker Fast Charger which is currently fast charging the Nexus.

This might solve your problem, too, and even if not you still have a high-quality charger for other kit.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 5th May 17, 11:52 PM
    • 25,468 Posts
    • 10,102 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I bricked a tablet, for some reason when i unplugged the charger it began to power on. Not wanting it to power on i just held the power of button until it went off.

Seems that was silly it didnt turn back on after... oops.

Took the battery out and shorted everything out to drain every drop of power from it and then put the battery back and it booted up.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 8th May 17, 12:24 PM
    • 6,998 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    almillar
    Thanks for that datostar, don't think that's my problem as I do have the original charger, definitely good advice to be using the original charger when you have problems. I'll do one final check then see if it'll fetch anything on eBay as is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,295Posts Today

10,828Users online

Martin's Twitter