Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 18th Apr 17, 3:04 PM
    • 311Posts
    • 197Thanks
    Marvqn1
    High data usage - Firefox
    • 18th Apr 17, 3:04 PM
    High data usage - Firefox 18th Apr 17 at 3:04 PM
    Today, whilst on the internet, I noticed that something was using lots of data.

About 550 MB has been used, even though I haven't watched any videos or visited websites that use lots of data.

I then closed Firefox and I noticed that it stopped using lots of data.

What could be the cause of this? I don't see any addons that would use lots of data. Is it a Firefox update?
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 18th Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 1,587 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:02 PM
    I presume you have ruled out malware by running the following ??

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

https://toolslib.net/downloads/finish/1-adwcleaner/
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 2,756 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 4:53 PM
    When you say "data" ... where are you measuring this? Are you perchance talking about the Firefox app on a phone? Or you're using a PC but connecting to a MiFi device?

(Context is everything).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 18th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:03 PM
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    I did a scan with Malwarebytes. It didn't find any malware.

I downloaded Malwarebytes. It installed the Premium Trial. Does it change to the free version after the premium trial period is over or is that separate?

When you say "data" ... where are you measuring this? Are you perchance talking about the Firefox app on a phone? Or you're using a PC but connecting to a MiFi device?

(Context is everything).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Im using a laptop and tethering to my smartphone.

Im measuring the data by clicking on the network icon in the taskbar, then right clicking on the network then clicking on Status. Then it shows the amount of data sent and recieved.
    Last edited by Marvqn1; 18-04-2017 at 5:10 PM.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 18th Apr 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 6,909 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:48 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 5:48 PM
    What about things like windows updates and virus definitions? They can run unnoticed and download things. Or possibly firefox was updating if you have it set to just update automatically.
    Malwarebytes should continue as free if you dont buy it.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 18th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:36 PM
    If you are going to tether you have to make sure all your automatic updates are OFF.

Hell I disable images as well as videos.

Culpepper is right, you are not just recording Firefox but any network device.

If you load task manager, go to the performance tab, then load resource manager, then look at Network section you will see the IP's or servers being connected to.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 18th Apr 17, 9:36 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:36 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:36 PM
    If you are going to tether you have to make sure all your automatic updates are OFF.

Hell I disable images as well as videos.

Culpepper is right, you are not just recording Firefox but any network device.

If you load task manager, go to the performance tab, then load resource manager, then look at Network section you will see the IP's or servers being connected to.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    My tethering allowance is 30GB per month, so I don't mind automatic updates on.

It appears that the data usage was used by the extension Distill Web Monitor. As soon as I disabled the extension, it stopped consuming large amounts of data. After restarting Firefox, then resuming Distill, the data usage was normal. Im confused why this happened.

In task manager, I don't see the IP's or servers being connected to.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 19th Apr 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:10 AM
    • 19th Apr 17, 12:10 AM
    My tethering allowance is 30GB per month, so I don't mind automatic updates on.

It appears that the data usage was used by the extension Distill Web Monitor. As soon as I disabled the extension, it stopped consuming large amounts of data. After restarting Firefox, then resuming Distill, the data usage was normal. Im confused why this happened.

In task manager, I don't see the IP's or servers being connected to.
    Originally posted by Marvqn1

30gb? Wow nice allowance, must be costing you a fair bit.

I do not know much about that plugin, I would have thought it would be doing the grunt work from their servers (like pingdom) and the plugin would be a view to the results.

Sorry I always go the slow way to things as been around since before Windows had a key, You can load resource monitor by pressing Windows Key +R, then type Resmon.exe
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

248Posts Today

3,779Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin