High data usage - Firefox

Options
Today, whilst on the internet, I noticed that something was using lots of data.

About 550 MB has been used, even though I haven't watched any videos or visited websites that use lots of data.

I then closed Firefox and I noticed that it stopped using lots of data.

What could be the cause of this? I don't see any addons that would use lots of data. Is it a Firefox update?

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When you say "data" ... where are you measuring this? Are you perchance talking about the Firefox app on a phone? Or you're using a PC but connecting to a MiFi device?

(Context is everything). :)
  • Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2017 at 5:10PM
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »

I did a scan with Malwarebytes. It didn't find any malware.

I downloaded Malwarebytes. It installed the Premium Trial. Does it change to the free version after the premium trial period is over or is that separate?
    DoaM wrote: »
    When you say "data" ... where are you measuring this? Are you perchance talking about the Firefox app on a phone? Or you're using a PC but connecting to a MiFi device?

(Context is everything). :)

Im using a laptop and tethering to my smartphone.

Im measuring the data by clicking on the network icon in the taskbar, then right clicking on the network then clicking on Status. Then it shows the amount of data sent and recieved.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    What about things like windows updates and virus definitions? They can run unnoticed and download things. Or possibly firefox was updating if you have it set to just update automatically.
    Malwarebytes should continue as free if you dont buy it.
  • Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    DavidP24 wrote: »
    If you are going to tether you have to make sure all your automatic updates are OFF.

Hell I disable images as well as videos.

Culpepper is right, you are not just recording Firefox but any network device.

If you load task manager, go to the performance tab, then load resource manager, then look at Network section you will see the IP's or servers being connected to.

My tethering allowance is 30GB per month, so I don't mind automatic updates on.

It appears that the data usage was used by the extension Distill Web Monitor. As soon as I disabled the extension, it stopped consuming large amounts of data. After restarting Firefox, then resuming Distill, the data usage was normal. Im confused why this happened.

In task manager, I don't see the IP's or servers being connected to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure