Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 18th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    • 5,329Posts
    • 18,457Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    Help Please... Pre-preparing Salads, Veggies and Fruit
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:38 PM
    Help Please... Pre-preparing Salads, Veggies and Fruit 18th Apr 17 at 12:38 PM
    Health issues mean that I need to maximise opportunities to prepare fresh fruit and veg in bulk for using 'as and when' BUT am worried about how long they'll last once prepared.

How long would you keep washed cut lettuce, celery etc?

Also washed grapes and tomatoes? Prepared greens and cabbage? Grated carrot?

I know they will 'lose' nutrients too so want to avoid the worst of this... all stuff will be kept in plastic boxes in the fridge.

Any hints and tips gladly welcomed.
Page 1
    • Kunoichi73
    • By Kunoichi73 18th Apr 17, 12:44 PM
    • 52 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Kunoichi73
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:44 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 12:44 PM
    I often prepare a mixed salad of peppers, cucumber, chives, celery and tomatoes on a Sunday and it will keep OK in the fridge until Thursday or Friday. Don't chop the tomatoes and it keeps better. Have you thought about buying frozen fruit - you can then defrost the amount you want for the next day overnight. Lettuce has a tendency to go brown. You could add fresh spinach by the handful. Frozen veggies are also a good choice, just be aware that they can give off a lot of water when cooked.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    • 13,446 Posts
    • 36,636 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    I tend to thinking "good idea in principle to pre-prepare veggies - but in practice they lose nutrients" - so avoid it as far as possible.

Had you thought of:
    - growing beansprouts of various descriptions (loads of nutrients and you can pick them just before using)?

- have you got any garden space at all - and you could grow a few fast-growing type things (eg green salad veggies)?
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 18th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 5,329 Posts
    • 18,457 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:14 PM
    My issue is lack of dexterity, pain and fatigue. So when I do things I need to make them count.

If I'm preparing fruit and veggies then I want to do enough to last a few days so that I have them available when I can't physically handle the prep.

For instance, I like to keep grapes, toms, celery and peppers ready for action as I don't always have the oomph to do them on a whim.

I might sit fancying some grapes but actually not be able to have them because my hands aren't working well enough to pluck and wash them... but if they're ready in a tub then munching can begin.

Same with veggies - the cooking is usually less of an issue than the prep of the ingredients. Hence, needing tips on bulk prep for use later.

Help?...
    • caronc
    • By caronc 18th Apr 17, 2:41 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    caronc
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:41 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 2:41 PM
    Grapes will be fine (as will unchopped toms) if you wash and then dry them. If I buy loose grapes I always wash and dry them before I put them in the fridge and they last just fine for a good number of days. If you are portioning and tubbing/bagging them as well as drying them I'd pop a bit of kitchen roll in the tub/bag and change it if it gets soggy.
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • JIL
    • By JIL 18th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 18,480 Thanks
    JIL
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    • 18th Apr 17, 10:41 PM
    I pulled all my grapes off the stalks and washed and dried them and put them back in the tub, they were fine for over a week.
    Lakeland sell these and other bits
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/1094/20-Lakeland-Stayfresh-Longer-Vegetable-Storage-Bags-(25-x-38cm)-

Bags of salad and chopped Cabbage stores better if a piece of kitchen roll goes in the bag to soak up moisture.
    Last edited by JIL; 18-04-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin