Boyfriends job going in August

Options
Boyfriend has been told in August his nightshift job is no more. The company are taking nightshift off. They've been told they can re-apply for day shift jobs, but it's £400 a month we're going to be worse off and boyfriend is carer for his son who is severely disabled. We get step son every weekend as respite for step sons mum and after school ontop. Boyfriends work are now saying he can't be guaranteed no weekends. So not only is he loosing £400 he won't be able to be respbite. This is the only time boyfriend gets with son, and it's court ordered to those set days.
If boyfriend is having to reapply for job can he just not reapply because the hours aren't suitable and claim jsa? Or would he be penalised? Hopefully boyfriend will find a new job, but if not where do we stand?

We can't pay the bills on my wage, I work full time but because I work in a school I only get paid term time so don't even come out with 10k a year. Yet we've been told I'd have to pay full everything on my wage?!
Any advice/help would be great :(

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    So assuming you don't work weekends could you not look after the stepson while dads at work?. As you say he might not even have to work every weekend anyway?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Can't he apply and state what hours he can/can't do? Or look for another job if it's not happening until august.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Lioness_Twinkletoes Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2017 at 7:56AM
    Options
    Your boyfriend needs to be careful with the job application - if he does not apply and then makes a claim for JSA they may sanction him for not applying. Further to this, despite his complicated home life, he will be expected to apply for anything suitable. He cannot pick and choose and therefore other jobs might also require weekend work.

If he is eligible for JSA he might get contribution based, this is based on his NI payments for the preceding two full tax years. This runs for six months and does not factor in your salary. He will then move on to income based and your salary will be factored in. This is then likely to mean he will not get JSA but might get some housing benefit or council tax benefit.

JSA is only £73.10 a week for those over 25 so if you cannot manage on your salary alone this is unlikely to make much of a difference.

Your boyfriend needs to start applying for all the available jobs now - and he needs to be less picky about when and where. As others have suggested, you could look after his son at the weekends, if he has to work. He can spend time with him after work.
  • Eva92
    Eva92 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Stepsons mum won't allow me to look after stepson alone. Says it's down to the nature of his disabilities, but boyfriend agrees on the grounds of that's the only time he has stepson so isn't palming him off when he doesn't see him rest of week.

My question is about boyfriend beinfvrespite care so can he be forced to work weekends? When I have no legal duty of care towards stepson. And if he and I split up and I was looking after stepson where does that leave him.
  • Eva92
    Options
    Yeah but that's not the point. He is respite care for his son. He's severely disabled and because of all of his complex disabilities I wouldn't want the responsibility solely of looking after him alone. Stepsons mum doesn't agree with me looking after him alone either. I have no leagal duty towards stepson, so don't see how they can expect me to look after him especially when he's so severely disabled.
  • Eva92
    Options
    Yeah that's what he's going to do, but since all nightshift are coming off there's going to be loads of employees applying for day shift. So there's no guarantee he will get the hours to suit around stepson.

Even if he get something part time it'll be help towards the bills until something else comes along, but just wanted to know where we stood if he needs to claim jsa
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    Eva92 wrote: »
    Yeah but that's not the point. He is respite care for his son. He's severely disabled and because of all of his complex disabilities, I wouldn't want the responsibility solely of looking after him alone. Stepsons mum doesn't agree with me looking after him alone either. I have no legal duty towards stepson, so don't see how they can expect me to look after him especially when he's so severely disabled.

He is not losing his job until August -I would suggest he looks for work NOW - and worries about what might happen when and if it happens. Really, though, earning a salary is surely the biggest priority? Your boyfriend's ex might have to find alternative respite care and your boyfriend might have to see his son at other times. Days off in the week, for example.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest, the employer won't go into that much detail on who should or shouldn't be looking after him. Anyone can apply for flexible working. The employer can refuse it under certain conditions.
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    Think it will be easier to split this down in to dfferent problems.

No job = no home = nowhere for stepson to visit.

First, roof over your head, re apply for job, if he gets it, great, your home is safe, you are half way there. If not, find another job, even if terms are he works weekends. It may only need to be a short term solution until the right job comes along.

Second, if job changes, so do terms of access. Obviously that will need to be negotiated, but at this point, there seems to be nothing to negotiate with or for, as the changes haven't taken place yet.

Perhaps work out the most possible scenarios for your world, and hold on to them until the work situation is clarified.

JSA - last resort.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport