Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    • 7,434Posts
    • 5,256Thanks
    esuhl
    Dynamic DNS (basic questions)
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    Dynamic DNS (basic questions) 19th Mar 17 at 10:06 PM
    I have a friend with a domestic CCTV system. He's just changed ISP and got a new router and asked for help as he couldn't access any cameras.

I got everything working over the LAN, but he can't access the cameras over the internet.

It seems he was using some kind of Samsung DDNS service previously (he has the details). I looked in the router settings, but there are only three DDNS providers you can select -- none of them Samsung, and they only appear to offer paid services. My friend reckons the Samsung DDNS service was free.

The host name he has is something.websamsung.net (Where "something" is an alphanumeric string.)

The only service providers listed in the router settings are:
    www.DynDNS.org
    www.noip.com
    www.dyns.cx

I've never used DDNS before, so I'm not really sure how to set it up.

Can anyone help?
Page 1
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 2,511 Posts
    • 1,663 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:26 PM
    Hi,
    So I'm presuming you have a port forwarded on the router to the cctv and can access the cameras offsitse by using h t t p : / / public ip : port ??

I typed a big explanation of it all then but deleted it by mistake grrr.
    Can you just let me know , have you got that ^^ bit working ??

Basically, something inside your network has to phone home occasionally to the ddns service to tell it your current public ip address. That way, your url always stays pointing at the correct place.
    Even when your public ip address changes (as home ones do from time to time) ...

So it sounds like your router has the capability to do this, which is nice . But not for you as it doesn't support the Samsung version.
    IIRC, the Samsung devices themselves will actually do this, and it should happen automatically, if they have a connection to the outside world.

Which makes the question above doubly important ..

So have you set up the port forward ?
    Last edited by AndyPix; 19-03-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 19th Mar 17, 10:45 PM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 9,586 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:45 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:45 PM
    He could ask his ISP for a static IP address.

But AFAIK the basic no-ip service is free.

>I'm not really sure how to set it up.<
    1. Register an account with a DDNS provider from a PC
    2. Input the username/password details into the router, together with your chosen DNS name from the DDNS provider
    3. Setup port-forwarding on the router to the machine providing CCTV
    4. Input the DNS name into the s/w you want to use for remote access
    Last edited by I have spoken; 19-03-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 2,511 Posts
    • 1,663 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:49 PM
    Yeah he could use another service like no-ip . But that would rely on always having a computer switched on in the house, to do the updating ..

For normal PC use that service is great, because obviously your pc will always be on when the service is needed .. But with cctv systems not so much.
    Which I guess is why Samsung provide this service
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 10:52 PM
    Hi,
    So I'm presuming you have a port forwarded on the router to the cctv and can access the cameras offsitse by using h t t p : / / public ip : port ??
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Hmmm... It seems not. :-/

I forwarded the four ports I was given to the (static) local IP address of the CCTV hub (and put the CCTV hub on the same subnet), which fixed local access.

I just enabled ping responses on the router, and it responds. But I can't access anything with the IP & port number(s) via a web browser. :-/

I typed a big explanation of it all then but deleted it by mistake grrr.
    Can you just let me know , have you got that ^^ bit working ??
    Argh! That happened to me yesterday! I feel your pain! Really appreciate you taking the time to reply again.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    • 2,511 Posts
    • 1,663 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:11 PM
    So something is wrong with your port forward ..
    Have you opened it for both directions, and all protocols.
    Sometimes you have to do a rule for each protocol
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 19th Mar 17, 11:15 PM
    • 8,825 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:15 PM
    Why 4 ports? Most CCTV only uses one or at most two for an alternate stream.

External IPs don't usually change that frequently so you want to make sure that the ip fixing and port forwarding are correct before worrying about DDNS. Incidentally some cameras support DDNS themselves so worth checking there.

Lastly don't rely on a router to work correctly on loopback as not all do - ie accessing myddns.org:8080 from within the network that ddns is pointing to may not work. Use a phone to check external access.
    Last edited by kwikbreaks; 19-03-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Mar 17, 11:15 PM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    esuhl
    I just tried accessing over the LAN using the local IP. One of the ports brings up a login page for the CCTV.

But it just times out when accessing over the internet.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 19th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    So something is wrong with your port forward ..
    Have you opened it for both directions, and all protocols.
    Sometimes you have to do a rule for each protocol
    The outgoing rules are set to allow everything.

The incoming rules allow both UDP and TCP on the ports I've been given.

I wonder if there's some way I can log in to the CCTV hub to check the ports and settings...? (I don't know any more about CCTV than I do about DDNS )
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Mar 17, 11:19 PM
    • 2,511 Posts
    • 1,663 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Good point kiwi ,

Eshul, you aren't testing this from within the network are you ? That'll never work

Teather your phone and try it
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 19th Mar 17, 11:20 PM
    • 8,825 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    That's going to be incorrect port forwarding (usually only TCP is needed although setting both won't mess anything up) or the loopback issue I mentioned. Try it from a phone not connected to the local WiFi. Of course it could also be you aren't using the correct external IP.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Mar 17, 11:22 PM
    • 2,511 Posts
    • 1,663 Thanks
    AndyPix
    the loopback issue I mentioned. Try it from a phone not connected to the local WiFi. Of course it could also be you aren't using the correct external IP.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks

My money's on one of these 2
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 19th Mar 17, 11:25 PM
    • 8,825 Posts
    • 4,412 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    That'll never work
    Actually it does with some routers including my current one but not all which is why you need to avoid it when initially testing.

Anyhow good luck - I'm off to bed now.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Mar 17, 11:29 PM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    esuhl
    Why 4 ports? Most CCTV only uses one or at most two for an alternate stream.
    No idea. It's going to have a lot of cameras eventually. I think there are six currently active.

External IPs don't usually change that frequently so you want to make sure that the ip fixing and port forwarding are correct before worrying about DDNS. Incidentally some cameras support DDNS themselves so worth checking there.
    Ah! My mate said he thought the DDNS setup might have come with the cameras.

Lastly don't rely on a router to work correctly on loopback as not all do - ie accessing myddns.org:8080 from within the network that ddns is pointing to may not work. Use a phone to check external access.
    I'm not using any DDNS-related domain name to access anything. Is that how DDNS works...?

I'm at home, so I have external access from my own PC, and internal access via Teamviewer.

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, or what to check next...

I've just double-checked the external IP. It hasn't changed while I've been testing, and I copied/pasted it via TeamViewer. The same IP appeared in the router settings and via whatismyip.com, so I'm sure I have the right IP.

Thanks all for your help, btw. :-)
    Last edited by esuhl; 19-03-2017 at 11:36 PM.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 19th Mar 17, 11:54 PM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    esuhl
    Ah... I've just found the CCTV device settings application and the instruction manual!

Hopefully a good old RTFM will fix things!
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 20th Mar 17, 12:02 AM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    I agree with the posts above, Samsung isn't a supported DDNS service I've seen on the router so I'd expect there's a device on the network that's updating the external DNS.

You've said you're not sure what the four ports are for, what rules are you setting up?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 20th Mar 17, 1:09 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    esuhl
    I agree with the posts above, Samsung isn't a supported DDNS service I've seen on the router so I'd expect there's a device on the network that's updating the external DNS.
    Originally posted by Johnmcl7
    Yes -- it looks like the CCTV app has settings for DDNS. The protocol type is HiDDNS, and the server address is set to www.hik-online.com.

It's showing as disconnected and the username and password are blank. I don't have the login details now, but I'll get my mate to re-enter them to see if that helps.

You've said you're not sure what the four ports are for, what rules are you setting up?
    My friend had written down the ports used as "554, 8000, and 8080 or 8181" (his words). I set up incoming rules to allow TCP/UDP connections on those ports to the IP address of the CCTV hub.

Looking in the CCTV settings application, port 554 is labelled "RTSP", port 8000 is "server" and 8080 is "HTTP". There's no mention of port 8181.

I think I'm getting somewhere -- thanks again. I'll have another look tomorrow.
    Last edited by esuhl; 20-03-2017 at 1:12 AM.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 20th Mar 17, 1:44 AM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 1,498 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    It sounds like perhaps something else on the network was using the Samsung dynamic dns? I've not used their DDNS so I'm not at all familiar with it, if only the router has changed then whatever was updating the DNS should carry on doing it if it's back on the new network as it's simply sending the current IP address to an external system.

That makes sense with regards to the ports you're forwarding, there's better tools for it but if you want a quick way to check if those firewall ports are open you can use telnet:

http://blog.industrialnetworking.com/2011/09/using-telnet-to-test-open-ports.html
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 20th Mar 17, 2:16 AM
    • 7,434 Posts
    • 5,256 Thanks
    esuhl
    It sounds like perhaps something else on the network was using the Samsung dynamic dns?
    No -- I think that the Samsung-related name is what he was told his DDNS username was... or something...?

He won't have anything else using DDNS. He has Sky TV and a games console or two, but (apart from the CCTV), it's just normal Ethernet and Wifi from a domestic Sky router.

I've not used their DDNS so I'm not at all familiar with it, if only the router has changed then whatever was updating the DNS should carry on doing it if it's back on the new network as it's simply sending the current IP address to an external system.

That makes sense with regards to the ports you're forwarding, there's better tools for it but if you want a quick way to check if those firewall ports are open you can use telnet:

http://blog.industrialnetworking.com/2011/09/using-telnet-to-test-open-ports.html
    Hmmm... When I test from my PC over the internet, I get a blank screen when I telnet the ports -- indicating that they are, indeed, open.
    • johndough
    • By johndough 20th Mar 17, 9:16 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    johndough
    Hi

Changed ISP, and still has the old router?

Consider re-building the camera setup with the old router and note down settings etc.

Try and connect the Samsung parts to the new router and see if they will route, you should be able to access the cameras from the new router across the to the old, as if it was an external network, but is actually local.

192.168.0.xxx and 198.162.100.xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

681Posts Today

7,558Users online

Martin's Twitter