PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Will I void the Persimmon 2 year warranty?

Hi, I am currently purchasing a new build with Persimmon and have a question regarding their warranty and work being done on the house not through Persimmon.
I am friends with a good electrician who has agreed to come and install downlights and an extra tv point once I have moved in. However, I am now worried that any work carried out not through Persimmon will void their 2 year warranty. Will an extra tv point in a bedroom or a downlight in a bathroom result in Persimmon refusing to fix any snags in a completely different area of the house?
How will this affect my 10 year warranty with the NABC as well?

Many thanks

Comments

• Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just a guess but if they send someone to fix a snag, that person would have to know what you had agreed with them. And do you think they brief the people they send to deal with snags as to what should be installed and what shouldn't (as long as it isn't your installs that are faulty) Or do you think they just send someone to deal with it?

If you have a leasehold though you could find yourself in breach of it for making unapproved changes to the Freeholders asset.
  • LD92
    LD92 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I'm afraid I don't know how they deal with snags. Can anyone confirm if they come and inspect it or just send someone round to fix the problem?
    It will be freehold, not leasehold.

Thank you
  • sparky130a
    sparky130a Posts: 660 Forumite
    My (guess) would be yes you would.

Any work you carry out on the electrical system could affect there instillations.

Why not snag first then add the extras with your chosen contractor?
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It would depend on what you mean by snags in another part of the house. If you have a light fitted in the bathroom and then have an issue with a light in the kitchen they may deem the electrics as being tampered with so may not help/be very difficult with you. If however you had a problem with a window in the living room after having the bathroom light done the work you have had done has no relevance at all to the issue so I can't see them having a problem.

Even if they were to send someone around a TV point in a bedroom can be easily hidden by a piece of furniture so they'd have no reason to know about it and the chances are even if they went in the bathroom they won't look at the light. Especially if whoever they send wasn't involved in the house build in any way.
  • LD92
    LD92 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thank you for the replies. I'm going to get a professional snagger to go round at the start and hopefully fix any problems straight away. Persimmon charge a ridiculous amount for any sort of extra, especially when I work in electrical wholesale and get any sort of light, tv points etc, for next to nothing!
    If they don't look around and only work on the problem specified i can't see it being an issue. I understand your point about bathroom and kitchen light, but would they inspect the bathroom if they are round to fix a snag in the kitchen?

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport