Transfering Money

Options
Hi

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this...

I have money sitting in a US bank account from the sale of a property and I want to transfer it back to my UK Bank account. I bought the property 10 years ago but with the US market crashing I couldn't sell as I would have lost a lot of Money. Now, with the exchange rate in my favour I've sold up and just want to get my cash back home. I haven't made any money just about broke even really. So any advice on my issue would be greatly appreciated. I would be using someone like HiFX to transfer the money.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So any advice on my issue would be greatly appreciated. I would be using someone like HiFX to transfer the money.
    I think you're answering your own question - the advice on here will typically be to use a currency broker to transfer the money! If you haven't already done so, then read through http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/foreign-currency-exchange for MSE's assessment of the options.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HIFX might not offer the best rates. Use a comparison site such as https://www.fxcompared.com/

I have used Transferwise myself several times and am very happy with them.

You don't say how much money is involved but it sounds as if it could be a larger sum. In which case it might be prudent to split the transfers into smaller packets as I don't think any of the transfer firms are part of any protection scheme. Also worth advising your receiving UK bank that a larger amount(s) is about to land so they don't block your account for money laundering investigations. Hopefully you do have money in a second current account anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure