Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • atlantis187
    • By atlantis187 16th Mar 17, 2:05 AM
    • 984Posts
    • 373Thanks
    atlantis187
    Vauxhall Zafira - Which One?
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:05 AM
    Vauxhall Zafira - Which One? 16th Mar 17 at 2:05 AM
    I'm after a Vauxhall Zafira anything above a 08 plate.
    Can anyone please explain to me what the difference is between these models:

Sri
    Design
    Elitte

I'm totally confused and aint got a clue.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Mar 17, 2:10 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:10 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 2:10 AM
    They're just trim specs.....

Design is most basic.

SRI is supposed to be a bit sporty looking.

Elite is full loaded spec.

VXR is a combination of SRI and Elite + turbo petrol engine.
    I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 16th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:20 AM
    They're just trim specs.....

Design is most basic.

Originally posted by Strider590
    Actually Life is the poverty spec, then Exclusiv so the Design is mid spec so a choice between Design and SRi would be mainly cosmetic preference.

The Life and Exclusiv have the CD30 radio/CD and a basic information screen, no computer, the Design and SRi have the CD70 unit, better information screen and computer. Nav versions are available and have the CD70 system and Sat Nav screen.
    Last edited by interstellaflyer; 16-03-2017 at 8:36 AM.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • SimonD316
    • By SimonD316 16th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    SimonD316
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:32 AM
    IIRC 2008 would be early mk2 facelift. I had a 58 plate Design a few years ago so know them fairly well.

In terms of spec levels the Design and Sri are broadly similar. The Sri is more sporty, the design more stylish. Some things change depending on the engine.

I'd say it's Elite > Design > Sri.

On newer models the Design became the base model.

This might help - http://www.astonvauxhall.co.uk/upload/files/Zafira%202008%20Models%20Ed%202%20Jan%202008.pdf

The basic differences are:
    The Design has Black internal trim and half (fake) leather seats
    The Elite has MP3 and Aux input head unit, climate control, black trim and leather seats
    The SRI has Matt Chrome trim and cloth seats
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 16th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 8:40 AM
    Just be careful what you buy:

Used Zafira B models sold by secondhand dealers without fire recall

A BBC Radio 4 report has also revealed that a number of used Vauxhall Zafira cars are being sold by secondhand dealers before the remedial work has been completed.

• atlantis187
    • By atlantis187 16th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    atlantis187
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 9:30 AM
    So is the elite model that only comes with aux input and not the other 2. I have got a 08 Astra design currently and this has a aux input.

So from these 3 models the most extras come with the elite then.
    Is this worth it:
    I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702132269164
    • SimonD316
    • By SimonD316 16th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    SimonD316
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    Given the choice the Elite is a nicer car to go for.

The CD30MP3 with Aux input was only standard on the Elite. It is possible to retrofit the better units though.

That one looks like it's the 120bhp version. I'd be looking for the 150 if possible. The price looks decent for a 60 plate though.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    IMO, the bigger Vauxhalls are pretty solid cars, the 1.8 is a sturdy engine, it's at the peak of its development, the newer engines and the diesels can be very unreliable by comparison to the 1.8.

Whatever you get, make sure you test drive in ALL gears, because the gearbox input shaft bearings are made of chocolate and when they start to fail they make hard to detect whining noises in 4th and 5th. Two months later you loose reverse gear and your looking down the barrel of a 1500 repair. They will however last the life of the car if driven sensibly and not used for towing.

Make absolutely sure you change the cambelt, even if the seller insists it has been done (this applies to any car with a cambelt really), because a lot of people do cheap cambelt only changes and ignore the pulleys/tensioner, but cambelts normally fail because of faulty tensioners.
    I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • atlantis187
    • By atlantis187 16th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    atlantis187
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:37 AM
    The car is going to be driven mainly by my wife and because she has health problems it needs to be automatic she will mainly using it around town for school runs etc..
    • david a
    • By david a 16th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    david a
    Personally I would go for a 1.8 petrol if it's just short journeys. If you feel you must have a diesel then the 1.7 if it comes in auto trim.
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 16th Mar 17, 7:52 PM
    • 5,693 Posts
    • 7,161 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    vauxhall Astra / Vectra/ Zafira used a combination radiator and oil cooler on autos after 03/04 and it is a total nightmare, even recalled versions fail when the water and gearbox oil mix.
    I would do some googling on this issue before even considering a VX Auto.

Yes you get a lot for your money, well it looks that way, a newer plate car than you get say in a Mercedes but you do and will get what you pay for as well.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 16th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    interstellaflyer

Yes you get a lot for your money, well it looks that way, a newer plate car than you get say in a Mercedes but you do and will get what you pay for as well.
    Originally posted by Marktheshark
    Funny that, I see lots of good solid Vectras, Zafiras and Astras from the early to mid 2000's and equally a lot of rotten Mercs of the same age.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • atlantis187
    • By atlantis187 17th Mar 17, 1:48 AM
    • 984 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    atlantis187
    Having spoken to a few more people some are saying don't go for a Zafira and they are not the most reliable of cars. So back I goes on da t'internet and I have found the following family 7 seater cars, was wondering if you guys could have a look and give me some input on these:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702102201630?model=5008&onesearchad=Used&onesea rchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&postcode=s56wp& radius=1500&make=PEUGEOT&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&transmission=Automatic&page=1

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702132269164?year-from=2009&make=VAUXHALL&transmission=Automatic&mod el=ZAFIRA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20Ne w&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=s56wp&radius=1500&page=3

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Volkswagen-Touran-1-6-TDI-SE-DSG-/162402357595?hash=item25cfef515b:g:5goAAOSwUKxYm3d k
    • gingerdad
    • By gingerdad 17th Mar 17, 5:34 AM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 1,286 Thanks
    gingerdad
    For me older diesel cars with low mileage would be a worry

If you're wife is only doing "round town" driving why aren't you looking at petrol models?

As for the zafria we had one for 7 years and can't really fault it. No issues at all. Only extras servicing wise have been the two recalls. Personally I hate Vauxhalls but really can't fault our Zafria for what we paid and it's usefulness. Ours is and 07 Club - fairly basic spec 1.6 petrol and cost us 5 grand 7 years ago. Only thing I'd change would be to go for the 1.8 engine. But couldn't find one a the time within in our budget.
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Is that 1600cc Peugeot diesel the same one Ford use?
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 17th Mar 17, 8:04 AM
    • 1,653 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Having spoken to a few more people some are saying don't go for a Zafira and they are not the most reliable of cars.
    Originally posted by atlantis187
    The problem is, just like a lot of other things in life, people will rubbish a brand purely because they prefer another brand even though they've no real experience of a particular brand or car and often based on stuff they've heard from a bloke in the pub, if you took notice of everything that was said in this section of the forum you would be advised not to buy any car unless it was a Honda Civic or Jazz, just about every car brand gets slated by someone. All I can say is that I ran an Astra H estate for 4 years without any problems and I do around 18,000 miles a year, I sold it with 125,000 miles on the clock, and never experienced the usual problems that people bleat on about regarding the CDTi engine ie EGR problems and clutch/DMF problems, when I sold it, it was on the original clutch and it was functioning perfectly.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 17th Mar 17, 8:36 AM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    Is that 1600cc Peugeot diesel the same one Ford use?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Yes, and is therefore fitted with a fuse, and a large ticking clock.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th Mar 17, 10:09 AM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,118 Thanks
    motorguy
    And who - who has owned one - has told you they are unreliable?

What is there to go wrong with a 1.8i Zafira? Its a simple old fashioned an reliable engine and parts are cheap.

You will buy a much younger Zafira petrol for your money than any other 7 seater.

Of those three -
    • The 1.6HDIs are a willfully bad engine and notorious for problems with DPFs, EGR valve, DMFs, injectors, turbos.
    • The 1.9CDTI is very prone to DMF failure, DPF failure and injector failure.
    • The 1.6TDI VW engine is prone to EGR valve problems which are a pig to get at as its badly positioned. Probably the least problematic of the three, but i still would prefer a younger petrol Zaffy.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 17th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    And who - who has owned one - has told you they are unreliable?

What is there to go wrong with a 1.8i Zafira? Its a simple old fashioned an reliable engine and parts are cheap.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Most Zafiri out there are diesel, the usual diesel issues combined with the type of use a family 7 seater will get (ie ferrying kids to school 200 yards down the road), makes for a potentially rocky ownership experience.

There are other known issues with the Zafira, some unwisely placed electrical bits that tend to attract more than their fair share of water/damp, the well known heater issue. Overall I think like most cars they suffer from owners not looking after them properly, again because of the type of owner and type of use they get.
    Last edited by Strider590; 17-03-2017 at 10:37 AM.

• motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th Mar 17, 11:49 AM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,118 Thanks
    motorguy
    Most Zafiri out there are diesel, the usual diesel issues combined with the type of use a family 7 seater will get (ie ferrying kids to school 200 yards down the road), makes for a potentially rocky ownership experience.

There are other known issues with the Zafira, some unwisely placed electrical bits that tend to attract more than their fair share of water/damp, the well known heater issue. Overall I think like most cars they suffer from owners not looking after them properly, again because of the type of owner and type of use they get.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    +1

I'd be running with the freshest 1.8i in budget. Decent engines, reasonably economical, cheap to work on.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

352Posts Today

2,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin