Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HorrorHound
    • By HorrorHound 15th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 4Thanks
    HorrorHound
    Wizard of Odd - Kitties and Rabbits and Kids, oh my!
    • 15th Mar 17, 4:29 PM
    Wizard of Odd - Kitties and Rabbits and Kids, oh my! 15th Mar 17 at 4:29 PM
    In our household the females outrank the men 2:1. Myself, my partner and our daughter are all female. We then have three female cats and one male who's currently separated by multiple doors pending ball removal. One male rabbit and one male guinea pig bringing us to six women and three men, six animals and three humans. Though our household is far from done expanding. We are missing having a dog to trip over, our fish tanks are empty and we would love to add another baby eventually. So basically our house is madness on a daily basis.

While we don't have much debt at 2,381.39 it is taking longer to shift than we would like because we are being terribly spending lately. We do not currently live together as we are waiting for a place in a school here which means I spend weekdays missing them like mad and we are constantly back and forth between the two homes. So we will eventually be losing a few travel expenses only to replace them with the expenses of moving house and new uniforms. Thankfully the new schools uniform only has a badge on the jumper meaning so long as it's school colours we can shop around for the rest of the uniform.

We all have varying degrees of additional needs and dietary requirements which we are trying to get a handle on, hopefully spending some time tackling a meal plan and getting a bit more control over daily life will help with. We are planning to start cooking from scratch more, using butchers and greengrocers in place of the supermarket where possible and walking to the shops in place of bus or taxis.

We don't drink very often, we have switched from cigarettes to vaping and we don't eat out very often though we do have a weekly takeaway as a treat but that costs under 10 for us all and it's just round the corner. We are starting to get back into making positive choices but obviously we need to wait for us to see the benefits as it's very recent. In the meantime I'm going to be looking on the boards on here for more challenges, tips and ways to increase our income.

What's the best change you've made since the start of your DFW journey?
Page 1
    • HorrorHound
    • By HorrorHound 16th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    HorrorHound
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    I swear the washing machine never seems to stop spinning. It's already on it's second spin this morning, the heating is on low to dry a few bits quicker and make more space on the airer for this load. I can't put any washing outside at the moment as we have a tiny garden full of bin bags ready for bin day tomorrow. Hopefully the nice weather will hold over the weekend and I can get more washed and hung out.

Today I'm working on some spreadsheets for the finances, planning to clean and organise the kitchen and I need to get the rabbit out for a cuddle and a chance to stretch his legs. Unfortunately that shall have to wait a little bit as it would be just plain rude to move right now, I have all three cats on my legs and two are currently asleep. While I organise the kitchen I'm going to make a note of what I have in so I can come up with some meal ideas until I get paid next week.

I'm going to meal plan and work on a shopping list for pay day as well. I want to keep a running list of what I have in and update it as I use stuff up. I know it takes a bit to get into new habits so I'm expecting a few blips along the way but I'm going to try and keep myself on track as best I can and come on here daily.
    • angelpye
    • By angelpye 16th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 995 Posts
    • 3,625 Thanks
    angelpye
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 16th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    Hi Horror Hound and welcome! Sounds like lists of exciting change on its way which will not only make some financial difference but also bring the family together properly. Just wanted to pop in to wish you luck
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: 2589.22 DFD: Sept 2022 April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6
    EF 0/4200
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 16th Mar 17, 11:26 PM
    • 10,528 Posts
    • 67,671 Thanks
    Bobarella
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:26 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 11:26 PM
    It's all going on at your house (s)

Best change I've made since start of DFJ, planning, planning and more planning. It saves so much money. Little things like taking a flask out as a habit. Always carrying snacks for the school run. Shopping with a list. Meal planning. Daily bank balance monitoring. All counts as planning in my book and all saves money.
    "You're not rich until you have something money can't buy."

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from 40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 53.62 2016-62.28 2015- 84.20)
    RYSAW17 1805.58 2016 2,535.16 2015 1027.20
    • HorrorHound
    • By HorrorHound 30th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    HorrorHound
    • 30th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    • 30th Mar 17, 12:34 PM
    Thank you for the messages of support. Right after posting this we were given a start date which has meant we needed to run around packing and unpacking. There was the cost of uniforms and travel, it all added up and blew our budget a bit. But we have made do and are getting back on track. All bills are paid, the fridge is full and I don't think we have any expenses until next week.

We have already started meal planning ready for payday next week. We have a shopping list and I have scrubbed the cupboards and now know what we have in. Today I have taken all the bin bags out, tidied the kitchen sides, wiped them down, done the washing up, done another load of laundry and put a stew in the slow cook. Sitting down for a few minutes and then I will get the litter trays and hutches cleaned out. I will try and post properly soon.

How are things for you both? I will drop by your diaries sometime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

471Posts Today

4,345Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin