Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jcuurthht
    • By jcuurthht 15th Mar 17, 10:04 AM
    • 48Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jcuurthht
    Claiming estate agency fee VAT when selling as a landlord
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:04 AM
    Claiming estate agency fee VAT when selling as a landlord 15th Mar 17 at 10:04 AM
    I am a landlord, however I am planning on selling my property.

Is the VAT on estate agency fees something I can claim as an expense?
Page 1
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    • 23,952 Posts
    • 50,684 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:14 AM
    I am a landlord, however I am planning on selling my property.

Is the VAT on estate agency fees something I can claim as an expense?
    Originally posted by jcuurthht

If you are not VAT registered then it is a cost to you and will be a normal business expense like any other VAT you incur in running your business?
    • jcuurthht
    • By jcuurthht 15th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jcuurthht
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:20 AM
    If you are not VAT registered then it is a cost to you and will be a normal business expense like any other VAT you incur in running your business?
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    I'm not.

I remember including certain landlord related things on my self assessment (which I have to do as I live abroad but receive income via rent). I thought I could include this expense when filling my self assessment form.
    • booksurr
    • By booksurr 15th Mar 17, 10:54 AM
    • 3,614 Posts
    • 3,996 Thanks
    booksurr
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:54 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 10:54 AM
    I'm not.

I remember including certain landlord related things on my self assessment (which I have to do as I live abroad but receive income via rent). I thought I could include this expense when filling my self assessment form.
    Originally posted by jcuurthht
    you are not VAT registered, therefore you report the GROSS cost of any invoice/cost you incur

your post reads like you are asking about the EA fees when you sell the property? In that case the gross cost is allowable when working out your taxable net gain for Capital Gains Tax purposes since the selling fee is a cost against the capital not the income liability

if on the other hand you simply mean the monthly fee charged by the EA for acting as your UK agent whilst you are abroad then that too is allowable at gross value but obviously would fall into your income tax declaration
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 15th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 23,952 Posts
    • 50,684 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    • 15th Mar 17, 11:06 AM
    you are not VAT registered, therefore you report the GROSS cost of any invoice/cost you incur

your post reads like you are asking about the EA fees when you sell the property? In that case the gross cost is allowable when working out your taxable net gain for Capital Gains Tax purposes since the selling fee is a cost against the capital not the income liability

if on the other hand you simply mean the monthly fee charged by the EA for acting as your UK agent whilst you are abroad then that too is allowable at gross value but obviously would fall into your income tax declaration
    Originally posted by booksurr

Whoops, yes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,838Users online

Martin's Twitter