Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 14th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 833Posts
    • 253Thanks
    Muscle750
    smoker at work
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    smoker at work 14th Mar 17 at 7:25 PM
    I work in very close proximity to someone who is quite a heavy smoker. They come in early and basically spend the first 2 hours outside smoking, Now they have started "vapping" whilst they are actually working. they have the thing in their hand almost all the time and whilst i have made the odd comment to them its done nothing and im now thinking of taking it further. I dont see why i or anyone else should be subjected to it when there is a designated smoking area outside.
Page 1
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 14th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    • 16,854 Posts
    • 25,678 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:32 PM
    Only your employer can help with this. They may be allowed to vape at work and don't consider the need to go to a smoking area when they aren't actually smoking.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 14th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 833 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Muscle750
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:38 PM
    OK - thanks for letting us know.
    Originally posted by zx81
    no probs hope you can sleep alot easier for it
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 7,244 Posts
    • 7,278 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:43 PM
    Vaping isn't smoking and has next to none of the issues associated with passive smoking, so what's your problem?
    • boliston
    • By boliston 14th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 2,277 Posts
    • 1,828 Thanks
    boliston
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:45 PM
    I would rather have the smell of ordinary cigarettes than those awful sweet "vaping" smells any day.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 14th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    Bear in mind, half the people on the forum will be smokers so expect sarky or hostile comments.

Okay, i've never witness a person vaping indoors while at work so thats new and would NOT be tolerated by anybody at my place. If you think its a problem i advise you speak to your manager, you shouldn't have to inhale it if you dont want to, its also banned in many establishments and train stations so i dont understand why its taking place indoors at work!! Plus nobody knows the long-term effects of it.

I also agree with the guy above, the sweet sickly smell makes me sick when i smell it outdoors too.
    Last edited by xapprenticex; 14-03-2017 at 7:55 PM.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 14th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:54 PM
    Vaping isn't smoking and has next to none of the issues associated with passive smoking, so what's your problem?
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Why would anyone think it's ok to vape in the workplace when you have colleagues near you?!
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 14th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 2,831 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    Vaping cigarettes are unregulated. Unlike traditional cigarettes, we don't actually know what the issues are. I think you're right to not want to spend your day inhaling someone else's vape.

Can you go to your employer and ask for clarification on where things stand re smoking these indoors?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 14th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 6,108 Posts
    • 4,646 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 8:20 PM
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/05/24/e-cigarettes-are-still-a-bet-and-diseases-may-emerge-within-10-o/
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 14th Mar 17, 8:52 PM
    • 13,002 Posts
    • 11,075 Thanks
    paddyrg
    To reassure you, the cloud is principally sugars and water, same as nightclub smoke machines make. We've had smoke machines in clubs for decades without much evidence of causing health problems, so for the passive vaper the health risks are pretty negligible from current evidence.

For the actual person breathing it in neat searing hot I suspect the issues may not be known for a while, although it seems unlikely they'll even be in the same league as smoking. I think where there may be a new issue is with metal fume poisoning from coils, again that'll only really apply to the original vaper.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 14th Mar 17, 9:33 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    General Grant
    Bear in mind, half the people on the forum will be smokers so expect sarky or hostile comments.

Okay, i've never witness a person vaping indoors while at work so thats new and would NOT be tolerated by anybody at my place. If you think its a problem i advise you speak to your manager, you shouldn't have to inhale it if you dont want to, its also banned in many establishments and train stations so i dont understand why its taking place indoors at work!! Plus nobody knows the long-term effects of it.

I also agree with the guy above, the sweet sickly smell makes me sick when i smell it outdoors too.
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    Where do you get that statistic?

Officially just under 20% of the UK's adult population are smokers. Why would 50% of MSE forumites be smokers?
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 14th Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    leslieknope
    even if there aren't any health issues, i find it extremely rude to blow any kind of smoke or vapour around people. that should be outside, not at your desk. it's extremely unprofessional to do during working time.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Mar 17, 9:47 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 13,585 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Bear in mind, half the people on the forum will be smokers...
    Originally posted by xapprenticex
    Making random nonsensical statements like this just make you appear an idiot.

Public Health England data in 2016 found 16.9% of adults in England were smokers.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/sep/20/number-of-uk-smokers-falls-to-lowest-level

And I would suspect that as members of the MSE forum are generally quite keen on saving money an even smaller percentage of them will be sending it up in smoke.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 14th Mar 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Where do you get that statistic?
    Originally posted by General Grant
    Google, on that site, have a look

.. some b.s. ..
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Sorry who are you?
    • hyubh
    • By hyubh 14th Mar 17, 10:11 PM
    • 1,818 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    hyubh
    I work in very close proximity to someone who is quite a heavy smoker. They come in early and basically spend the first 2 hours outside smoking, Now they have started "vapping" whilst they are actually working. they have the thing in their hand almost all the time and whilst i have made the odd comment to them its done nothing and im now thinking of taking it further.
    Originally posted by Muscle750
    I bet the filthy b'stardio has a civil service pension as well!!!

Seriously though, my sympathies.
    • Muscle750
    • By Muscle750 15th Mar 17, 5:46 AM
    • 833 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Muscle750
    End of the day if smokers want to kill themselves thats their issue yet i dont want to have it wether harmless or not inflicted on me
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 15th Mar 17, 5:52 AM
    • 13,002 Posts
    • 11,075 Thanks
    paddyrg
    even if there aren't any health issues, i find it extremely rude to blow any kind of smoke or vapour around people. that should be outside, not at your desk. it's extremely unprofessional to do during working time.
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    I know it's a contentious issue and TBH I agree to a large extent, but we have to be careful that we aren't just doing this for misplaced reasons.

Things I find offensive/offputting at work - eating hot/smelly food, perfume, farting, poor personal hygiene, nail clippers, gossip, trainers, tattoos, shorts, people who can't use a photocopier, list goes on...

So it's slightly tongue in check, but all of those bear similar health risks and irritation levels, so why single out exactly one of them to persecute someone who specifically isn't smoking any more just because we're triggered to from years of conditioning?

As I mentioned I largely agree, but need to be clear on my reasoning and acknowledge it's not particularly rational
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Mar 17, 6:15 AM
    • 29,162 Posts
    • 17,440 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Employer needs a workplace policy for this.

plenty of places have decided to operate no vap policies, workplaces and places open to the public.
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 15th Mar 17, 6:34 AM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,654 Thanks
    daytona0
    Only 10 years ago you could smoke in the workplace...

How times have changed

Bear in mind as well that this "heavy smoker" is probably the product of the government's efforts to promote smoking a number of years ago when the health issues were unclear and the tax revenue was large.

In a nutshell, they have probably been screwed over and now they are doing their best to deal with an addictive drug through substitution. It is a bit of a shame that the reason for substitution is likely the ban, but other than that I say well done to this "heavy smoker"

If a workplace policy existed (plan of action for you: speak to management) then I'm sure that said colleague would adapt their addiction around that.

Otherwise, I say each to their own. Only 10 years ago you would have been inhaling his ciggy smoke all day
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Mar 17, 7:12 AM
    • 12,854 Posts
    • 35,272 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    If they're spending much of the first 2 hours of the day outside smoking - then they aren't working during that time........

Does the employer know they're only getting about 75% productivity from them?
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,401Posts Today

9,519Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin