Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Broadwood
    • By Broadwood 14th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 601Posts
    • 601Thanks
    Broadwood
    0 WOW
    Staying away from Scotland ?
    • 14th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    0 WOW
    Staying away from Scotland ? 14th Mar 17 at 7:03 PM
    Does the SNP realise that two or three years of hostilities in the run up to yet another referendum will do further damage to Scottish tourism?

It got nasty both before and after the 2014 vote, and I can see a heated debate getting even worse this time around.

Even though we have many Scottish relatives living up there, as regular twice-yearly holiday makers from England we avoided holidays north of the border for nearly eighteen months while there were banners and flyers plastered everywhere in town and countryside alike. It all got a bit hostile and intimidating in some parts of Scotland.

It would be better if the SNP was given the go-ahead for a quick vote in September this year (2017). Debate the pros and cons, then decide. A marriage is doomed if one side keeps looking at the exit door.

I love Scotland but it's getting boring now.
    Studying at The University of Life.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 14th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 11,054 Posts
    • 7,406 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    • 14th Mar 17, 10:09 PM
    I wonder when Scotland will be pushed to the 'overseas' board?
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 16th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 36,448 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    • 16th Mar 17, 4:16 PM
    I wonder when the people in Scotland will realise the sheer cost of a referendum and on what would they rather spend all that cash .........just as long as the rest of the UK doesn't have to fund it!

It's getting to be a very very boring topic........ (and I'll even admit to being half Scottish 'though not entitled to vote!!!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 17th Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    • 17th Mar 17, 9:46 AM
    i'm much more likely to go to Scotland for short breaks now than I am to stay in England and Wales, since this

Government is intent on forcing through a hard Brexit that even those who voted for it don't want!

Will be spending as little of my tourist £ in England and Wales if I can help it.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 17th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 36,448 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    [QUOTE=holidaysforme;72264955

Government is intent on forcing through a hard Brexit that even those who voted for it don't want!
    .[/QUOTE]

Just to point out that the voting system in UK is such that most of us didn't actually vote for this government, or the last one or......ad infinitum.
    'First past the post ' is the rule.
    I haven't heard too many folk complaining they did not vote this govermnment into power and yet they harp on about Brexit, or Scottish independence.
    When we get proportional representation then we all might get what we want.....on not!!!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 17th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 12:59 PM
    Completely with you on PR. On the subject of Scottish tourism,- I doubt very much it will suffer.-
    I was in Glasgow in January for a music festival, and regularly attend the Edinburugh festival.
    Both cities are vibrant and multicultural, and extremely busy.!! Much rather be spending my money there.
    • Broadwood
    • By Broadwood 17th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Broadwood
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    • 17th Mar 17, 7:23 PM
    i'm much more likely to go to Scotland for short breaks now than I am to stay in England and Wales, since this

Will be spending as little of my tourist £ in England and Wales if I can help it.
    Originally posted by holidaysforme
    We go away for some rest and recouperation so will probably stay south of the border until IndiRef2 has taken place, especially - as looks increasingly likely - the debate gets personal and heated again.

There are loads of places in England & Wales that we've never been to and maybe they deserve some of our tourist £s instead. We also have to get used to life with a border if Scotland do vote to leave as neither of us currently possess or ever want another passport.

More MSE and greener too - less diesel, fewer miles and less time travelling.
    Studying at The University of Life.
    • loadsacash
    • By loadsacash 18th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    loadsacash
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 2:05 PM
    How do you think we feel - I live in Scotland and everybody I have spoken to are sick and tired of all this Indyref business.

You will probably find that more Scots are looking to relocate south of the boarder if Scotland gets Independence anyway
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 18th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 18th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    Jeez, I'm about to book up for a week in Wales, but if that's the kind of attitude I might just stay north of the border instead!

*I am joking, but I'm pretty sad that people would think this way, though I guess I shouldn't be surprised

Brexit = doesn't mean we don't want anything to do with Europe, intend not to travel there for holidays, won't welcome visitors from Europe and don't want to do any business with Europe.

Scottish independence = as above with rest of UK.

It's not a marriage, its not a divorce, and immaterial of whether it happens or not (or indeed if another vote even happens), why do people have to treat it as a them v us affair?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter